Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 61 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Having looked in detail at the replacement pulley wheels and the originals my opinion is the replacement wheels will not work for long. They are not V pulleys as are are the originals. They have a H type edge which means not a great deal of contact with the slider to keep the wheel turning and the same problem as before, only a lot quicker! The window slide has a V shaped edge for max contact with the pulley wheel. May have to make some! 

No worries, here they are.image.jpegside on replacement wheel. The H profile is the only difference. It's a very tight fit on the new pivots so would need adjusting anyway. Just not sure they will rotate well without the original V profile. You can see the original profile matches the guide rail. Got new pivot pins and washers. The washers fit in between the plate and wheel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Because the pins are hammered over once fitted they cannot be removed. So if I fit these wheels are used there's no going back without spending! Maybe Lotus bits and source used pulley guides that are better than my old ones? Else I need to go into the manufacturing business. Disappointing how most things on this car are unavailable and the replacements arnt very good. It's expensive to have things printed and you really need to do it yourself unless you have lots of cash!

Well can confirm the window motor was one of the best purchases I have made. Exactly same gears and construction. Now installed and working, easy job. Considering getting one for the other side!image.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, good find! Where did you buy it from exactly?

So it just bolts on without any modification necessary? Have you confirmed improved operation compared with the old one?

Edited by Freemason

Yep perfect, it's was used on the Corvette and is still being manufactured in the US at a reasonable price. Much better than the alternatives from the UK.

Finally got my drivers window working as it should. The new motor and changing the spring position on the operating arm did the trick.  The window now lowers and raises at the same speed and it's quite quick.  If the coil Spring is not set correctly the window operate at different speeds when lowering and raising. Just need to sort the pulleys and it will be as good as new. Took a lot of effort to get it to work as it should, like all the bits on this car. Google below details to locate the seller on EBay.

Just to be clear, the motor came with the gear which was identical to the original in every way. Did just remove and discard the back plate it came withand bolted it straight on to the lifting arm.

Bonding quater windows

Ive done this a lot now and had several try's using different methods. To help those who will have to do this in the future this is the best method I have come up with to give a reasonable finish. 

Firstly ignore the manual the quater Windows do not fit central in the frame. If you do this the bottom of the window will not seal against the weather strip. The window must be almost on the outer edge at the base and for it to look good towards the edge of the frame at the top. Otherwise light will reflect off the sealant from the outside view which won't look very good no matter how smooth you try and get it! I use Dinitrol. 

Put a bead about 10 MM around the outside of the glass on the surface edge. Press this onto the frame. Use some wood and screws to how the frame sides in. Now, the important bit - wet your finger and smooth the excess sealant once or twice only immediately before it begins to set. Do not try and tidy the job up at this point, just get a smooth mirror like surface and leave the excess on the glass. Fill in the back with sealant and smooth once or twice with a wet finger as above. You should now have wthis in the picture. Then go away and come back the next day. With a sharp knife cut a straight edge on the excess sealant with a single cut all the way round. Pull the excess off in one continuous bead, job done! This is the first stage with no cleaning at all. If you try and clean up at this stage you will get a horrible messy disaster and waste all day then will have to start again with a high risk of breaking the glass!image.jpeg

• Like 1

No, I do want to know! PM me.

A new bonnet for my e-type is £10,000 fitted so I'm guessing it's not in that league...

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I think you should demand a refund.  The 'Triplex' etching is on squint :blush:   The text on mine is level on both sides ...

IMG_7230.jpg

Seriously, well done on getting the glass re-made !

It was £420, they kindly let me off the tooling costs, as they are building up their parts stock. They made two as they always do this with a new product. They are making a tool for the drivers side also. So they have another clear in stock ready to go and can make the drivers side also. In fact they can make any piece of glass. Its slightly thicker to increase strength but a perfect copy. If anything it fits better than the original!

Pilkington Isle of Sheppy, Nick Gardiner if anyone needs glass!

Cant believe how much work this car is taking. Thought I had finished the doors until I tried to lower the electric windows. They jam on the back of the speakers!  The top of the window lift arm hits on it. Only solution move the speakers, refiberglass the door cards and retrim☹️☹️☹️☹️. If you fit speakers they must be forward of the window lift arm.  I also have to remove the driver can't rail as it has cracked and the rear spoiler as the paint has flaked. There was a split in the rail which should have been repaired before spraying. It cracked on riveting. The tailgate also  needs adjusting again and then I have to detail the paint. Will it ever be finished? At least Steve has started the seats which have had a total rebuild including the entire suspension with new Pirelli rubber straps. 

19 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Cant believe how much work this car is taking. Thought I had finished the doors until I tried to lower the electric windows. They jam on the back of the speakers!  The top of the window lift arm hits on it. Only solution move the speakers, refiberglass the door cards and retrim☹️☹️☹️☹️.

Just remembered why I didn't fit speakers now! Can't you get some thinner speakers?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I am still building this car. As always the Lotus game of snakes and ladders continues! Can't believe how difficult this is proving. I have been trying to finish the door cards for about two months. Steve Fulcher trimmed them and I fitted them on and the electric window jammed on the speaker☹️☹️☹️. I have refiberglassed one of the doors, having moved the speaker. Stereo great! 150 W Alpine speakers now work very nicely. You might think the story ends there. First problem you have to drill two holes through the material at the base of the door for the card retaining screws. Done that but not easy. Then fit the black plastic handle surround. This is the tricky bit, it's impossible to fit the black surround without long screws as the surround fits behind the inner door handle. The screws I have are 3/4 inch would say you need abou 1 1/4 inch long. They are not M5! Why couldn't lotus just use they same type of screws and bolts? No have to track back and remind myself of what thread they are! Seats are coming along after a total rebuild including foam repairs!