Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 65 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Yes, disassembling that part of the rear suspension if it's never been off before is a PITA.  The through bolt corrodes itself to the carrier and the spacer corrodes itself to the carrier too (dissimilar metals). I've never managed to salvage the through bolt, but the spacer is hardened and cleans up well enough to refit. As Paul says, plenty of copper grease on reassembly.  In order to dismantle the bolt needs to be pressed carefully out of the carrier, making sure to support the carrier and not crack it. Heat and penetrating oil are your only friends.  Yours looks like its been off recently so you might be in luck !

It looks as though the bush has come out of the lower link? I replaced the bushes on mine with rubber ones from SJ. It may be easier to get the hub off the car with lower link still attached and work on it on the bench but FFS don't crack the hub - remember that window!!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

If it's all free to move easily then yes you can do it in situ but if it's seized then don't start hitting it with hammers, take it apart and do it on the bench.

Don't want anymore window scenarios! 

Presumably if I can get the bolt out the rest will come to pieces?

Did fitting the rubber S and J bushes need any machining of the hub?

The spacer tube on mine was seized solid and I had to use the press to get it out - don't hammer it, press it out. So if the threaded rod is free and the spacer is free you'll be okay.

No, I didn't have to do anything to the hub at all.

I always jack and support mine using that 'U' shaped metal channel under the gearbox. I spread the load with a piece of wood and then jack it in the middle. Then I place an axle stand at either end of the wood.

49 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks guys, will order some S and J rubber bushes and have a go! Where did you jack the car when the damper and link were off? 

If I were you, I'd order replacement long bolts too - unless you think you will get them out without mullering them :cry:.  Part No. B079D4024F.   

Have had a chat with Steve at S and J. I have the polyurethane bushes and so the washers wouldn't fit because the carrier needed trimming buy 2-3 MM, they were probably thrown away.  I don't like this idea so am chucking the lot and will attempt to put the original bushes back with the correct hardened steel washers. Steve reckons the bolt will come out as its been done recently. Hope he's right! 

Think the other end of the link arm will be fine as it has the washers and the new bush.

E-type? I remember when they were 20K, welding with lead filler? Very tricky!

I'm having a real Larf at the moment! ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

I'm going for it and will fix this for the Brooklands auto jumble on the 24th!

Have just tested my new stainless exhaust. The engine sounds awesome! The manifold is neat, glad I stuck with this setup. I have also installed the new S and J fuel line. It was easy to install and has sorted the fuel pipe issue. 

Hopefully with the extra clearance around the rear spoiler no more paint blistering problems.

Just started to take rear suspension apart. Got stud out, not easy with bush put in all wrong! Lower link is off! Spilt pin still to go. Have managed to push out polypropylene bush intact! Fitting new rubber ones. Think the split pins are put in wrong! So they have to come out, what a nightmare!image.jpeg

"Euston we have a problem!". Shame I don't have NASA backup for this project, but I have the next best thing the Lotus Forums. 

Have found the Esprit manual is different to the advice given by lotus esprit world.image.pngimage.jpeg

As you can see the manual shows no washer between the spacer and the bush, where the other one has an extra washer. I believe the purpose of washers is to protect the hub casting. Therefore the Lotus manual is probably correct? Also my split pin has a flat face and a tapered face unlike the picture??? Help please.....?????☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️ 

Split pin out! With my bespoke split pin removal tool, I may have to market it!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Piece of studding, file the edges of the nuts and lock the two together. Put through socket and use Spanners for spacers. About 6 hours of fiddling and your home and dry. Now, just the other side and put this all back together. The pin cleaned up really well and seems to be good quality,probably better than the replacements. 

When you put the bush in, file the edges off so it goes in square, top tip!

Maybe I will make it to Brooklands on Sunday!

• Like 1

Exhaust

There should be clearance between the silencer and lower rear spoiler. There will be if you have the correct bits and it will be easy to fit! The new stainless S1 exhaust is so much better! I found out the hard way and had to repaint the spoiler, as the heat melted the paint!image.jpeg