Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil and Oil pressure - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil and Oil pressure

Guest Mutley00

Guest Mutley00

When I bought my S4S, I had it serviced immediately and put Castrol Edge 20w 60 Engine oil in. When hot at tickover, the oil pressure guage was just above red. Same for my 2nd Service.

Just had the car serviced for a 3rd time, and the garage put Millers 20w 50 in and the guage has dropped to being about a third of the way into the red. When I queried it with the garage they stated that 20/50 is the recommended oil (fair comment, but I don't think 20/ 60 was around when the S4S came out) but the higher viscosity of the Castrol wouldn't make the guage register higher.

I'm not convinced by their opinion on the pressure guage, but was re-assured that the garage said if the guage registers any pressure on tickover its a healthy engine.

Comments as always welcome.  Thanks, Andrew

My pressure gauge on my gt3 always reads low.... Never seen it above half and when hot it's just above the red.

I have asked about this to and was told that other than the gauge, you would get an oil light if there was a problem.

I guess I am more likely to notice a light coming on on the dash anyway rather than a gauge dropping low which is obscured by the steering wheel.

Can't see why the gauges are not more meaningful, I have the same issue on my s1.

Best thing to do it is get it verified on a calibrated gauge.

• Like 1

20/60 and 20/50 are not the right oil grades as per original. It uses Castrol edge 10/60. My oil pressure rarely drops below 2bar on very hot tickover...usually during normal driving conditions its around 4.5/5 on a cold start up its up around the 6or so.

Since I bought my SE, I've noticed around 3bar (well third line that is), when hot and running fresh Castrol Edge FST 10W-60.

Should be mentioned, that I use original oil filters, and the model is the one with many smaller holes, rather than the one with fewer bigger holes.

Cheers,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

When I bought my S4S, I had it serviced immediately and put Castrol Edge 20w 60 Engine oil in. When hot at tickover, the oil pressure guage was just above red. Same for my 2nd Service.

Just had the car serviced for a 3rd time, and the garage put Millers 20w 50 in and the guage has dropped to being about a third of the way into the red. When I queried it with the garage they stated that 20/50 is the recommended oil (fair comment, but I don't think 20/ 60 was around when the S4S came out) but the higher viscosity of the Castrol wouldn't make the guage register higher.

I'm not convinced by their opinion on the pressure guage, but was re-assured that the garage said if the guage registers any pressure on tickover its a healthy engine.

Comments as always welcome.  Thanks, Andrew

Clean the connections on your sender to oil gauge.  If still no joy replace the sender.  SJ has them in stock.  If you look around here there is also a lot of information on testing the sender and the wiring between the sender and the gauge.  But If i had to guess, I would guess your sender is kaput.  Blue arrow is sender.

Link to other thread:   http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/14704-low-oil-pressure-reading-intermittent/page-2

post-12861-0-14374400-1403807686.jpg

Edited by wohlmeyer
  • Like 1