Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Esprit S4 appreciation thread - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Esprit S4 appreciation thread

Loose Cannon

I agree. I love the S4 to bits. I won't bother posting any pics of mine, because it's already done. MOI87, K267BOF and the original press shots are all of my silk-red car (including the first post in the thread), so there are plenty of them here already. Thanks!

When I got mine, there was an S1 (more iconic shape from my youth) and the S4 parked side by side. The S4 won hands down, because it's so much nicer inside. Since this is my daily driver, the increase in the quality of the interior made the choice very easy. I can live with the S4 - it's a lovely place to be inside, but the older cars, less so. And the wing is fine, and it doesn't obstruct rear vision, which is good. I've seen an equation written down for the downforce created by Lotus rear wings, and if you look at the numbers, the S4 wing performs amongst the best:

Downforce from Lotus wing = weight of Lotus wing x 1.0

:D

As for the indicators, when I bought mine, they had been turned over. I tried to get the dealer to fix them, but it's so hard to get the front bumper off that I gave up asking them. The original lenses disintegrated, so now I have the clear ones since they are the only lenses I could buy. If anyone has a source of original lenses that are in good nick, I want some.  Also, my car has aquired running lights at all four corners. They aren't there in any of the early press photos of the car, but they appear by the time of it being MOI 87. Anyone on here ever own it? Did you do it? Do you know who did or why? I'm guessing the front lights got turned over when the bumper was off when running lights were added, since there is really no sign at all of any front-end damage to the car. Do you know better?

On the downside, I'm currently waiting for an AA lorry to take mine to GST, since it dropped a core plug last night on the way back from the Silverstone "reveal" of the Exige LF1, and it has poured all its coolant over my garage floor. It is clearly not bomb-proof, but I still love it to bits.

• Like 1

In fact I may be thinking of the foglights... watch this space...

The indicators? I thought you meant the running lights! Still, same applies. I think they are something more weird, 'cos I tried hard to source them, and ended up getting them from a chap who makes them himself because they are obsolete.

Hi Tim

Did your car spend any time stateside as a press car? That may account for the side marker lights.

Can't imagine why anyone would fit them aftermarket

Lotus did try to tell me that this was the case, but a) there's no evidence of Lotus doing the mods, b) they aren't the same running lights as on the USA S4 (or S3), c) I've never been able to find any press photos of my car with the lights on. It all points to a subsequent owner doing it. There's a high-level brake light added too, and that's anything but standard. I can't imagine the factory having done that either. Someone somewhere thought it was a cool idea, I think. The trouble for me is you have to take the bumper off to change any of the bulbs. And I do. 

A few Esprits have them when a USA resident living over here specced them when buying the car. There's a Sport300 with the same too...

I think you are right, Bibs. Someone decided to do it. But they went to Halfords, instead of Lotus to get the bits.

The trouble for me is you have to take the bumper off to change any of the bulbs. And I do. 

if you have to go to that trouble to change a bulb, I'd get rid of them and paint.

The foglights are off an old Saab, and not just any old one, quite a rare top model, so it may be wise for us 92. owners to start buying spares.

The indicators are obsolete which is a pain if you don't like clear ones. The are off a McLaren F1, and they also appeared on the Elan M100 (also by Peter Stevens) and I think some other cars like Ginettas. When Rowan Atkinson smacked his F1 I was looking forward to someone with his financial clout stumping up for the tooling on the original ambers, but I think he just put 2nd hand on instead the skinflint. I have been meaning to ask the guy making the clears if he would consider a run of ambers, perhaps a group buy is in order!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

if you have to go to that trouble to change a bulb, I'd get rid of them and paint.

The foglights are off an old Saab, and not just any old one, quite a rare top model, so it may be wise for us 92. owners to start buying spares.

The indicators are obsolete which is a pain if you don't like clear ones. The are off a McLaren F1, and they also appeared on the Elan M100 (also by Peter Stevens) and I think some other cars like Ginettas. When Rowan Atkinson smacked his F1 I was looking forward to someone with his financial clout stumping up for the tooling on the original ambers, but I think he just put 2nd hand on instead the skinflint. I have been meaning to ask the guy making the clears if he would consider a run of ambers, perhaps a group buy is in order!

Yep - but to paint them, we'd still have to get the bumper off, so my current plan is to wait until we get the bumper off, then put LEDs in. That way, they'll never need doing again. Cheaper than fibreglass and pain. Unless the reason for getting the bumper off is fibreglass and paint…

I'd be in for a group buy, if someone can make them.The trouble is, even the clear ones cost far too much because of the low volume at which they are made.

Cheers!

Hope no one minds me gate crashing this thread as I'm not an S4 owner as much as I'd like to be.

In 2004 at the age of 21 I use to drive past a local garage and sat outside of it for months was Norfolk mustard S4 for sale stickerd up at £17,995. I popped in a few times to take a sneaky look but couldn't stretch to that sort of money being young and only in work for a year. A few months on and to my surprise driving past as I usually did it all of a sudden dropped to £13,995 becoming within reach of ownership. I went down with my dad to view it properly, take a test drive and there a few minor niggles but I was sold. Upon securing the means to buy it the following day I went down to the showroom to leave deposit and secure the car of my dreams and guess what SOME SWINE HAD SWOOPED IN AND BOUGHT MY CAR.

I was absolutely gutted and looked for a while for another but no luck. I ended up buying a TVR chimera which is a completely different beast and enjoyed it greatly but it wasn't an esprit S4. Amazing that 10 years on S4 prices have not moved but my chimera at the time was the same money and probably worth 6/7k now.

10 years on and an S4 is still the car of my dreams (alongside an F355) and I have still not yet had the pleasure of owning one. My ideal car still remains a Norfolk mustard example to use as a 2nd car so if anyone is planning on selling in them next 12 months and doesn't want crazy money I may be interested.

I don't know a great deal about the car I mentioned other than it was Norfolk mustard M reger with around 55/60k on the clock with black leather and yellow piping. It was in a local 2nd hand car dealership in bedside Northumberland and the owner of the car had previously owned it and bought it back if anyone knows the car.

There were maybe 5 yellow M-reg cars floating about the NE at the time, and I vaguely recall the advert you mention. At the time the classified were well stocked with S4, now it's a different matter sadly. Good luck in your search.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Here's some pictures of my S4 that I have been doing up for the past two years,I have spent a fortune  on it .It is finished and true to Lotus my new front crank seal is fu22ing leaking,so I am  just going to put up with the leak and fix it in the Autumn.

I have had a lot of Esprits in my time and by far the S4 is the best.I have removed that awful spoiler that should have been shot at birth,albeit effective looks crap from any angle I was thinking of fitting  the S4s spoiler but I think I will run it without a spoiler and maybe fit it when I sell it ,I have fitted some Oz Saturn's which I bought of Ebay which look nice(I still have the originals )

I was thinking of fitting a sport 300 kit but now that is finished it looks fantastic.

I have had lot of comments on how good the car looks.  On Saturday whilst taking it for a spin ,I approached a roundabout and in front of me was a Nissan Skyline,he slowed down so I could catch him up at the next traffic lights .When the lights went green he launched controlled of the lights,just as I put my left indicator on.TWAT.

S4 Best Esprit   for me.

fFor me.post-1307-0-59798200-1404679662.jpgpost-1307-0-89378800-1404679887.jpgpost-1307-0-80741100-1404679956.jpgpost-1307-0-46094600-1404679709.jpgpost-1307-0-56675000-1404679847.jpg

post-1307-0-25560000-1404679865.jpg

Edited by espritmania