Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
possible crank seal leak/could the oil be too thin? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

possible crank seal leak/could the oil be too thin?

Hi,just put a new crank seal in because the old one started to leak.Before the leak I changed the oil with Mobile one from Halfords.I did not read the spec untill now,I had 10w/60,I have noticed that I have put in 0w/40 .could this be a problem?? Cheers Paul G.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes will defiantly be an issue Mobil one is like water when warm . I'd go to a thicker oil . The oil leak paul is it coming from around the shaft seal or wager the seal joins the block ?

You can undo the spring in the seal by twisting it then cut a bit off and twist it back together to make a tighter seal Ferrari have been doing this for years

Over time the seals will wear a small groove into the crank, not very deep but enough to reduce the force it puts onto the metal, that combined with the very thin oil could do it,  As well as swapping back to a grade of oil in the correct range, check to see whether you could adjust the seal seating position by a mm or so (probably inwards) so that it's running on a better part of the crank.

Ok ,new seals,Sj sport cars,so no issue there .Going to drain oil and fill with 10w 60 which I should have done in the first place.Crank has been polished.0w40 is like water.I will let you know how it goes for future reference.

I tried mobile1 once. I didn't have any issues with leaks because of it. Ive found more commonly that new seals arnt always perfect and as such there are some occasions when they don't perform correctly. Also, If there is any imperfection on the rotating surface it could cause an issue.

it was mobil1 0/40 same as I used in the porsche...there are more than one types though of this grade in mobil1 range.. Its a good oil. But I tried it just to see what I thought..a personal curiosity. I found it a little thin for my liking in terms of tappet noise so changed it. Curiosity itch scratched.