Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit V8 project - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit V8 project

Sorry no, only 3 other brothers who are also available for hire. Jakub, Alin, and Ionut, earn £25+ an hour washing cars tax free. So are not willing during daylight hours.

Luca is very willing he has been banned from the supermarket for shoplifting many, many, times and is wanted by the police for a huge amount of driving offences, no insurance, no mot, no tax, no licence, non-payment of fines, failing to stop at the scene of an accident, hit and run, etc and they keep letting him out on bail now he has failed to go to court again so is looking to lay low (pun!) for a while until he can get a new identify. He's available in the day time encase you need to flash your lights being a courteous driver and letting people out at junctions. He can also help if you have an mot and is willing to help you expand your snap-on tool collection if the mot tester turns his back. Sorry not available at week ends as he has to go pick pocketing in London with his gang!

Edited by ramjet

Ok back on topic, been having issues with some fuses blowing and would like to update the whole setup. Due to fitting more electrics, 2x electric water pumps. central looking, alarm, e-level system, and compressor its all taking its toll on the marginal factory installed loom/fuse box. I have already maxed out all the left over lugs on the limited fuse boxes and need to expand further, I no longer have a glove box its just a chaotic mess of wires which just hang down and help occupy the passenger foot well!

18790420888_1a9374c4ba_c.jpg

• Gold FFM

That compressor surely needs a direct feed off the battery??? Fused and relayed off the ignition?

Is the alternator the stock TVR one? And can that cope with keeping the battery in a good place?

Are you planning on taking your car to Brands Hatch? Would love to see it

Only here once

compressor has a direct feed off the battery, and fused and relayed.

Just draws too much power, I carry a spare battery, if I play with the suspension and fill the tanks 3 times the battery is fooked! (thats without the car running and charging the battery)

alternator is a 90 amp off a range rover and probably needs to be better?

brands hatch?  maybe I  took it last year.

You could run a higher amperage alternator, charging two batteries ? You could have a word with my brother, he'd soon suss out the largest unit you could fit in there

www.abmstarters.co.uk

Sorry can't seem to make it a live link on my phone! 

well took it for a spin around the block twice as all was working fine! thought lets go around again glanced at the temp gauge and see its at meltdown! prayer mat must have been wrong today! bloody thing seems worse now? got it home let it cool down checked everything water flow, rad fans coming on etc and its all working but just wont keep it cool! I need to redo it again, header tank has a very small inlet so could be causing a bottle neck and slowing the flow too much? going to look into changing that and also fit a swirl pot (I have it anyway so might as well use it)
Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Really silly comment Iknow, but there's definitely no air in the system? 

I can refill my system,bleed it several times, let the thermostat cycle.Several times, all seems Ok. Then drive up the road &have issues. 

I obviously still have some residual air in the system,but after along drive it seems to sort itself out &everything isfine again!! 

Sorry about the punctuation,my phone hasdone an update and something weird isgoing on !!! 

I'm guessinhaving aclear runSaturday daytime in your neck of the woods might be an issue though!

• Gold FFM

Not the only one to have problems.......

Mine wouldn't start this morning - 10v on the gauge - whack on a charger and she bursts into life.

Only just started coming back from my lads footie.......either the battery or rubbish earth........parked in the garage for another day!!

Air in the system for the rads is a real pain in the arse.......best of luck.......it's worth trying one of them laser thermometers - you can check the pipe temps

Only here once

While at work tonight I had an epiphany yes 2 of my brain cells worked together and I may have worked out the overheating issue!
I fitted a small booster pump on a T-piece some time ago and I realised now this may cause a problem and reverse flow the water around the engine against the other water pump, the main water pump is at the front near the rad and the booster pump is at the engine end so it just circulating the water in the engine and not to the rad! I got on it when I came home and have ripped out all the hoses around the engine and going to do a fresh install tomorrow and simplify all the connections and routes and look into mounting the pumps the same end. The booster pump is going on the heater matrix circuit as that is what I originally brought it for but ended up using it as a booster for the main pump due to air locks. Yes I was a total plank! and feel foolish for making a stupid mistake but at least I hope to have sorted it now.

Yeah should work,assuming there's no expansion tank.Any air should travel into header tank via your red line. 

• Gold FFM

I wouldn't rely on the red line though - a bit of hose would be better - irrespective of the prayer mat orientation

• Like 1

Only here once

After all my Paranoia and wows with engine bay temps, turns out the sender in the inlet manifold is faulty! Bloody intermotor crap! My Davies Craig controller for the EWP was at 90% and my dash gauge was at 120%!!  I Have fitted a manual switch to the rad fans, also given the Davies Craig controller full control of the fans and done away with the old stock otter switch.

Have on order a new sender, will test it with the stock smiths gauge, Racetech, and also have a digital probe coming to check temps as well!

Totally redone all the water hoses, much more efficiently now, done away with the heater matrix as I think this is blocked? water flow was very slow in that area so bypassed it. Fitted the booster bump off the rear of the inlet manifold, also fitted a mechanical Racetech water temperature gauge in the engine bay this is the capillary type so are supposed to be very accurate? I chose to mount it direct to the alloy head as to get an idea of engine temp. I can also view this from the drivers seat very handy and very cool.(well it had better be!!)

18502551284_c827fc09f9_c.jpg

19119377162_c150915575_c.jpg

Plan to wrap the sender line with heat shield wrap as to not affect the reading with exhaust temp, also have to repaint the inlet manifold again! I did it with VHT crinkle affect paint it did look good when done but may be I didn’t put a thick enough coat on? Can any one recommend a good paint for engines?

got my MX5 headlight motors today, wow much smaller than the Esprit items, having the manual knob to lift them is a nice touch mine didn't have them! look really promising and a welcome upgrade/fix.

A few more pictures

19214865125_563c529610_c.jpg

Rear end showing locking catches on hatch,  I can adjust these to have it open more or shut

19214920615_13a76577ed_c.jpg

Not the best location to take pictures but at least its not on my drive

19028787219_d0c66d6d77_c.jpg

Just love it low…….

19209011942_8e1f6fa4ef_b.jpg 

• Like 1

Thanks, thinking of doing the K&N Plenum red as well. Had a good drive around town yesterday, then pushed it further into the next town (Wimborne) and blew a water hose off! I think a head gasket has gone. Now waiting for a co2 tester to check the coolant. I think it got damaged when I over heated on the trip to the m.o.t . While I was waiting for the wife to come and rescue me (see good job I left room for the A-frame fitting under the rad!) had loads of people around the car and had loads of great feed back! So miffed it broke down again by at least I think I know the cause now.