Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit V8 project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit V8 project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You'll be wanting to check this thread from Hilly to pick up some of the problems he encountered fitting an Audi V8 into an S3 Use the forum search to read the numerous other threads on his project. 

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/6152-1981-s3-v8-conversion/#entry64384

That's a good looking S3, do the conversion "nicely" and you'll get loads of respect, and advise if you want it, from the people on here.

Oh and welcome!

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

You'll be wanting to check this thread from Hilly to pick up some of the problems he encountered fitting an Audi V8 into an S3 Use the forum search to read the numerous other threads on his project. 

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/6152-1981-s3-v8-conversion/#entry64384

That's a good looking S3, do the conversion "nicely" and you'll get loads of respect, and advise if you want it, from the people on here.

Oh and welcome!

Thanks, yes have seen that thread already.

I have done a massive amount of mods already, just wanted to do a thread to show my project, the engine install was done over a year ago.

I have lost so many pics on my computer, so best for me to upload them, before they are lost forever.

That's a lovely looking untouched S3 to start with. Here's hoping the conversion is as near to invisible as possible.... :hope:

I am sure to ruffle some feathers as this may not be what some people want to see, but it’s my car and my money, my blood, sweat and tears going into it, and if it would have been the dream car I always longed for it to be then would have been happy with it. But it fell short of being any thing like a supercar. They do say “don’t meet your hero’s” well I was very disappointed with the 4 pot engine, it really does not fit in with the look of the car.

From the username & avatar I'm guessing this is a fait accompli. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

yes engine fitted over a year ago, just wanted to post my own thread of my project which I hope to drive by the end of the month!

I have more picsc and updates soon. Thanks

My old series I that came with the rover v8 conversion parts, the engine was an old P6 lump, I was going to do some major upgrades but the s1 chassis, rear suspension. Drive shafts would never cope! So I pulled the engine out and sold the s1 and kept the conversion parts.

s1side_zpsedfa25c5.jpg

s1engine_zps25147cec.jpg

I brought the s3 with a cracked exhaust manifold, it had a really nice body and paint work, but it was a horrible driver, no problem I had big plans ahead……

my new engine, TVR 4.5 v8 built by Rovertec (V8 developments) stage 3 heads, cosworth pistons, etc, fitted in a ex hill climb car.

tvrhillclimpdonor_zps47ef869c.jpg

Gearbox adaptor

adaptor_zpse8293141.jpg

New Input shaft to fit the esprit gearbox to rover v8

inputshafts_zpscdb649b4.jpg

Longer input shaft fitted in gearbox

inputinstall_zpsdbaa8059.jpg

Alternator is a tight fit, has to go down low

altmount_zps874c4323.jpg

Front housing was way to close to bulkhead, so the cutting begins!

bulkheadcut_zps99ccca15.jpg

From under the car you can see how close it fits, you have to use a remote oil filter and a P6 crank pulley

fronthousingfromunder_zps0ce8c4a3.jpg

Bulkhead done

bulkheadfixed_zps75e30e1d.jpg

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

I used the water pump bypass, poor pictures but that’s all I have. It still touched on the bulkhead lip, was just to tight to work with. I don’t see the problem? Remote oil filter was used.
waterpumppypass_zps1b11e301.jpg
waterpumpbypass_zps6d63a51a.jpg

Lightened steel flywheel and adaptor fitted

adaptorfitted_zps2fbbf3bb.jpg

Original conversion kit used a modified P6 starter, it was huge and heavy, so I cut the gearbox bell housing to fit a normal V8 starter motor, have seen this done before so must be ok?

startermod_zps4a9a5ca2.jpg

Its in at last

enginefitting_zpsd69466a1.jpg

Nice porting on the heads

headson_zpsceec8c1d.jpg

I fitted John Eales head stud kit (better than ARP) and billet rocker posts, also ported the inlet and gas flowed it to match the heads

inletfitted_zps35d2fe79.jpg

Made the exhaust from scratch, TVR manifolds (reversed) and the rest all big bore stainless steel, had to redo it twice as It was very, very loud! So had to fit some extra baffles, may take them out latter after the MOT!

exhaustmanifolds_zps4ba30c1c.jpgehxaust3_zps17c5c8b4.jpg

Lots more cutting………

look away if it makes you cry?

I may be a sinner in the eyes of some Lotus Purest!

ehxaust4_zpsd563a6df.jpg

exhaust5_zps5843ea30.jpg

Still need to finish the rear floor, but its taking shape

exhaust6_zpsf9122875.jpg

It works! and the sound of a V8 is Awesome!

myv8esprite1_zps66e23987.jpg

You're doing a great job there, but I have to take issue with your assessment of the original engine!!

I don't think Buddsy was being sarcastic, the 900 series is a corking piece of engineering.... as is the Rover V8 (I've built dozens of em).

But I think most Esprit fans would agree the revvy 4 cyl engine is more suited to the car than the lazy RV8..... nonetheless, opinions are like bellybuttons: we've all got one.

Try not to take the comments too personally, you're clearly doing an ace job...... even if it's wrong  :whistle:

• Like 1

Shame

There is no db limit for the MOT.

Buddsy

I didn`t know that? Ok then when the neighbours have warmed to the V8 thunder then I may take out the extra baffles!

• Like 1

You're doing a great job there, but I have to take issue with your assessment of the original engine!!

I don't think Buddsy was being sarcastic, the 900 series is a corking piece of engineering.... as is the Rover V8 (I've built dozens of em).

But I think most Esprit fans would agree the revvy 4 cyl engine is more suited to the car than the lazy RV8..... nonetheless, opinions are like bellybuttons: we've all got one.

Try not to take the comments too personally, you're clearly doing an ace job...... even if it's wrong  :whistle:

ok point taken, thanks, but I do love the V8 burble, and what it lacks in revs it makes up with torque.

I am used to much faster cars and 160bhp is pretty lame with a car that looks this good.

The non-turbo Lotus 4 feels very very slow these days. I've never been a fan of it personally, but then no alternative powerful engine I can think of suits the Esprit's  character. Certainly not a woffly old V8, which perversely would feel right at home in an Elite.

IMHO about the only engine that would sound right and not be too large would be something like the Alfa V6, but that seems a thirsty inefficient little lump too.

I understand now this thread is a done deal and the pics historical, so now just hoping all the above is hidden discreetly away under a carpeted cover to return it to the sophisticated 80s GT look.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I can't help feeling there's a lack of appreciation here when it comes to the choice of the V8. I currently own a Rover SD1 3500 Twin Plenum Vitesse and yes it is a big lazy brute but most of that is down to the weight of the car not the lack of power from the V8 itself. However I previously owned an MG RV8 which had the 3.9 V8 fitted at launch and it was a different beast altogether and was very quick with 0-60 of 5.5 secs so not exactly lacking in the power stakes. My point is that the project here has a TVR V8 fitted into a very lightweight fibreglass Lotus Esprit.........I wouldn't do it myself as originality for me wins every time, but trust me, this car is going to be a beast!

Edited by stephenwhyte
  • Like 1

off topic .but did lotus develope the twin plenum.The one thing is it will sound great. I also think the 907 range of engines sound great too .Mike

Also should have said it will fly.Only seen a few Esprits with rover v8 engines fitted over the years. Also seem to remember lotus thinking about fitting a rover v8 in the seventies.Mike

The non-turbo Lotus 4 feels very very slow these days. I've never been a fan of it personally, but then no alternative powerful engine I can think of suits the Esprit's  character. Certainly not a woffly old V8, which perversely would feel right at home in an Elite.

IMHO about the only engine that would sound right and not be too large would be something like the Alfa V6, but that seems a thirsty inefficient little lump too.

I understand now this thread is a done deal and the pics historical, so now just hoping all the above is hidden discreetly away under a carpeted cover to return it to the sophisticated 80s GT look.

Some more work on the boot floor, I don`t plan on hiding the engine, but I will have a carpet boot.

bootfloor_zps88b0bf16.jpg

why is every one banging on about this engine being some old lazy boat anchor? do you guys think TVR`s are slow? 

I can't help feeling there's a lack of appreciation here when it comes to the choice of the V8. I currently own a Rover SD1 3500 Twin Plenum Vitesse and yes it is a big lazy brute but most of that is down to the weight of the car not the lack of power from the V8 itself. However I previously owned an MG RV8 which had the 3.9 V8 fitted at launch and it was a different beast altogether and was very quick with 0-60 of 5.5 secs so not exactly lacking in the power stakes. My point is that the project here has a TVR V8 fitted into a very lightweight fibreglass Lotus Esprit.........I wouldn't do it myself as originality for me wins every time, but trust me, this car is going to be a beast!

Horay! some one gets it! its been setup on a dyno and at 289bhp its going to be more fun than the 160bhp. Just hope the gearbox can cope!

Wheels brought on ebay, 17 inch, 9j rears and 8j fronts. 3 piece split rims made in japan from a Mercedes.

The offset for the fronts were perfect.

wheelsebay_zpse0d6f33a.jpg

The hubs had to be re-drilled to correct PCD for the new wheels. The rears needed spacers.

spacers_zps16cc6398.jpg

Now have a much better choice in tyres, and no longer stuck with the sad 225 width rears.

newwheels9jrear_zps97ecbb1e.jpg

But was not content with using the spacers, I didn`t like seeing them through the wheels.

Pulled the rears apart, and got some new outers made with image wheels.

widerears_zps04508f28.jpg

That`s 11 ½ j wide! and now I have 315/35/17 rear tyres! again another ebay find, the chap I brought them from also has a Rover V8 esprit (twin turbo) and I got a full roll cage from him, I may need it!

rearswithtyres_zps4e899b7c.jpg

Yes I am running air suspension, more on that latter………