Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The story of Little Red Riding Hood - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The story of Little Red Riding Hood

Thanks Vanya for the nice description ;)

I'll order an original Lotus Oxygen sensor and gasket then.

My flattened ring is as you describe, so should not leak and maybe be able to move a bit around still. Can stainless bolts be used on that coupling instead of the normal bolts?

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have stainless bolts fitted no problem. Oh and don't try using nylocs down there. I have Airoloc nuts fitted instead. No leaks, I don't need to use any exhaust paste at all.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Yeah that's the one. I believe I've fitted those...I can double check. I think I have some washers in between as well as per the parts manual.

http://www.stainlessparts.co.uk/product/view/-/productId/27

I think those are a good idea all round. I've had problems with my exhaust hanging loose off the rubber mountings (sits fixed by two nuts only) - kind of embarrassing when the car starts rattling like a tin can full of marbles..

Hmm, maybe that's where mine Rattles from?

I have now an idea of what those holes in the rear upswept part of the engine undertray is for. I think they are Means for 3 large White plastic P-clips that are used to hold the rear part of the engine undertray on non-turbo models, and as such they are not used on turbo models.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Yeah, you know, a Calypsored V8 with the larger wing a la Sport300, the AWI wheels, the magnolia leather interrior with (very) wide comfort seats and red contrast piping, and the late design sideskirts, roof antenna, late style doors, bonnet etc.

Cheers,

Jacques ;)

post-1034-0-29644400-1410591752.jpg

post-1034-0-46034500-1410591768.jpg

Hahaha nice!!!!! Exactly like mine then except for the interior!

all right, more weightsaving or just looks.

The carbon headlight covers are now drilled and in place. Looking good and still a bit discreete. Black stainless screws will come later, as I cannot buy them here.

The b-pillar carbon covers are also under way, and this is a Loose testfit, as they are a bit short, and I would like them a bit longer to suit.

My take on the carbon is that it have to be real carbon, pref. to save some wiight, and not to look silly jap scrap like.

Finally i also installed some new rear spoiler rubberfeet, as the old ones are cooked. I previously renewed the large ones, but these thick ones were a bit harder to come by. New stainless dome headed unbraco screws hold it tight and locking pins and special nuts as well. Glued the rubber back on.

Cheers,

Jacques ;)

post-1034-0-46036800-1410734612.jpg

post-1034-0-53772500-1410734801.jpg

post-1034-0-75096500-1410734820.jpg

post-1034-0-53006600-1410734864.jpg

post-1034-0-07957600-1410734887.jpg

post-1034-0-50847800-1410735271.jpg

Have been working on new shoes for Little Red Riding Hood. So, after taking the OZ Futura's apart and cleaning up every nut and bolt, I took a look at the nuts Again and realized, that they will never get nice as soon as I finish the Wheels and start using them. So I took them to a company who acid dipped them, and galvanized them all 150. Nice and shiny now, are propperly protected and one more thing less to do ;)

Little Red Riding Hood is looking forward to dancing on a backroad in her new shoes.

Cheers,

Jacques.

post-1034-0-94869900-1411061216.jpg

Thanks Simon ;)  What doesn't one do the the Little ones? Next is taking the barrels apart from the lips and have them mediablasted and powdercoated. I spoke to a  guy today who do both, and he prefer the wet paint over the powder coating. I tend to the opposite.

What say you good people?

And I have a question: What size is the outer lip on the Futura's, both front and rear? I mean width in inches ?

I am asking this, because I would also like to know where the smaller diameter wheels on the Sport300 is wider than the OZ Futura's for the v8/S4s ? On  the barrel or on the width?

Cheers,

Jacques.

Thanks guts, very kind of you. Today I tried to polish my Quicksilver exhaust system. It's very well functioning and have just the sound I want, but is somewhat crude made, with lot's of stretching marks, Brown where it's welded and not shiny at all. Means it takes more Work to keep it clean.

So I armed myself with wetpaper grit 220, 280, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, polishing paper and then autosol.

When I got tired in my arms, I had sanded most marks away and got a better shine. That is not really visible on the pictures, I'm afraid.

In real life, when the BMW driver in his newest boring model drives behind me, he will see a really fat shiny roaring exhaust system under the car. Just what I want ;) But more power and noise music is underway.

Little Red Riding Hood is happy about it.

Anyway here's a few pics.

On Picture two, in the extreme upper right corner, you can maybe spot the strenghened bracket. The standard is poorly welded and breaks. So I had a friend tig it stronger and insert an extra horizontal plate in the middle. Works a treat.

I know,  I know, Have to turn that clamp around. Tomorrow is all-Esprit-day ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques ;)

post-1034-0-92988800-1411239899.jpg

post-1034-0-41703400-1411239916.jpg

post-1034-0-49837000-1411239935.jpg

All right, after posting the above, I tried to hide under my bed beause the drive shafts are rusty.

Today, after a fast and furious Lotus track day yesterday, I bit the bullit and sanded them Down, three layers of rustprofing, three layers of Black and finally three layers of heat proof clear coat.

Now, on with NeXT rpoject on Little Red Riding Hood ;)

Cjeers,

Jacques.

post-1034-0-27693600-1411930392.jpg

post-1034-0-01063100-1411930406.jpg

post-1034-0-09706800-1411930423.jpg

post-1034-0-49233800-1411932295.jpg

I remember sitting in the sunshine polishing up the parts of my 82 turbo before I re-assembled it....my brother pointed out that the only way anyone would see what I was working on is if they had just been run over by the car.....(!) We're all barking mad, aren't we?

My grandfather was a Rolls Royce trained chauffeur mechanic...he used to allow my Dad to polish underneath the front wings, as a treat....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

ha ha, yes we are a bit mad from time to time, but that is all part of being a human, not a robot. I guess it's something we are born with. I remember being a small child, I took lot's of old rags and some pipe cleaners, and cleaned up my first bicycle, and I've been doing that ever since. I take my stereo apart twice per year and carefully clean it and inspect various components for wear.

Same thing about anything else I have as a matter of fact... ;)

I guess that when I was a child, meeting my uncle on his big motorcycle (and scooter) from time to time on weekends, he brought me all his motorcyclemags and some carmags, may have had an influence?

Having said that, I can well discriminate between this and more important things to do.

I think that in todays modern society, it takes a bit of madness to drive a sportscar, more so an old one like an Esprit. I don't see it as something like a wish to be different or a womanized mid-life crisis (ha ha), but just a wish to drive that sportscar, and enjoy the harmony that is a result of man mastering something. It's like one plus one is not two, but three. Simple as that.

I don't see why an Esprit should not be clean and well maintained inside out, incorporating the underside as well. Makes it easier to keep nice and well working, and you are a bit more on top of the maintanance thing, looking carefully at things.

Since I have only had my Esprit just over a year, there's lot's to be done in the future.

I also do this amongst other things, to relax myself after a long days work. It's nice to be working with your hands, after having been concentrating in my mind all day.

Kind regards,

jacques ;)