Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front caliper non-functioning after brake flush - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front caliper non-functioning after brake flush

My '95 S4S is at a service centre for a C-service and my mechanic (experienced with Esprits) is having an issue with the brakesicon1.png after a brake system flush. Apparently the caliper on the front right hand side is not operating for reasons unknown (caliper pistons are operational) and the car pulls left. He has flushed the system and gotten all the old fluid out. On the master cylinder there are 2 bleeder nipples one of which will squirt fluid under pressure but the other one will only dribble fluid. Has anyone experienced a similiar problem with the front brake caliper or have ideas why this is happening?

Many thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone experienced a similiar problem with the front brake caliper or have ideas why this is happening?

Have you read this thread:thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Thanks Jonwat.  I did indeed read that article.

At long last my mechanic was able to rectify the problem. Turns out to be a stuck (brake?) solenoid. He interchanged solenoids and the problem moved to the opposite caliper on the front. Using brake fluid as a cleaner, a fashioned electrical harness to apply power, and compressed air (plus plenty of patience) he managed to get the unit "unstuck" and the front brakes are functional once again (phew!) Now I know what it is like to be an expectant dad.

p.s...........

On a separate note when he took the car for a test drive, he noted some odd creaking from the passenger side of the car. When he worked at a Lotus dealership customers would sometimes complain of a similar noise. After much investigation turns out the body bolts (behind the seats) may become slightly loose causing creaking or chassis thump at its worse. A simple remedy was to place large washers under the bolt heads (if I understood correctly) and tighten down to displace the gripping power/firm things up.

Edited by cjac

On a separate note when he took the car for a test drive, he noted some odd creaking from the passenger side of the car. When he worked at a Lotus dealership customers would sometimes complain of a similar noise. After much investigation turns out the body bolts (behind the seats) may become slightly loose causing creaking or chassis thump at its worse. A simple remedy was to place large washers under the bolt heads (if I understood correctly) and tighten down to displace the gripping power/firm things up.

Glad to help, re thumping checkout the following link

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/BulkheadPlate.html

Cheers,

John W