Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Searching for a LHD Excel: 160 or 180 ps? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Searching for a LHD Excel: 160 or 180 ps?

Hi,

I have scanned through the Excel section but have not found a "wide body Excel buying guide", so  I am making a call for tips and advice from knowledgeable Excel owners...

Once bitten by the Lotus virus, I am currently looking for a LHD Excel and have focused on these two (see links to ads below), after some research and benchmark on prices.

One is the 160 ps early version while the other is the 180 ps later car. Both claim to be in good shape, obviously, but my limited skills in this kind of cars and mechanics more generally incline me to ask before doing something stupid...

My question is: Would you have a preference for one or the other "setup" and/or, what are, in your experience, the specific things I should be looking at when buying any of these cars?

The ads are in German but google translate does miracles :-)

Red

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/lotus-excel-se-lhd-landau/197293882.html?lang=en&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&makeModelVariant1.makeId=15900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=9&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT&noec=1

Green

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/lotus-excel-kaarst/198369973.html?lang=en&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&makeModelVariant1.makeId=15900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=9&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT&noec=1

Many thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Jorge

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having a similar duo of this cars I think, I am allowed to compare (also with several readings of colleagues in mind): In practice you will find not much difference from the behavior of the engine. The SE/HC engine gets its power plus on the end of the rev range. So until that you wont notice it. As for collectors sight: The SE is the Top line of the range. The engine itself has some features the LC  doesn’t have (nicasil liners) and is the very last NA spec Lotus has improved. What could you want more ? With the MY89 they have changed the last little things around the engine, but this is not that important. With the age it is also important in which maintaining state the entire car is. If the carbs are out of balance and/or proper tuning you have on both sides disadvantages. On track and german autobahn you will get the difference.

The cruise control on the red one should be an aftermarket one. I am relative near to this car. Give me a sign if I should visit it.

The things to look at are beside the mechanics the paint (bubbles) and leaks (take of every carpet, look at the seals around) and at least, when have had the last cambelt change, if you want drive it home.

The cars are a great joy, a great fun to drive and a real headturner.

Many thanks Don,

This is very useful. And your offer to visit the car is extremely kind!. I just realized now that you are indeed very close!. I am a bit further away, and I may make use of your knowledge (and kindness) if I decide to move forward. Your knowledge would certailnly be very useful to avoid costly mistakes!

Without seeing it, the red car seems sound and tempting. What puzzles me is that it claims to be an SE but the AD reports 160 ps. (actually I thought the control cruiser was just a mistake...)

Many thanks again.

Jorge

you are welcome :)

dont worry about the hp... many owners do not know which engine they have inside ;) But yes, the tea tray on the back and the interior wear sings for a 180hp engine. But it is still possible the items or the engine were changed. A picture of the engine bay is missing on both.

That said, they look both good. The service history on both were interesting as well.

Good to know, thanks.

Actually, I think I saw the green car in the Jim Clark memorial in Hockenheim in April. It was already for sale but a substantially higher price (highly unrealistic in my opinion).The leather on the driver seat was in need of some work but that was all I managed to see. :-)

From the pictures the red car seems to have a sound interior and keeps coming back to my eyes... :-)

Generally speaking, I have not seen the cars so it is difficult to compare/judge the prices. I understand also that there are not many LHD Excels on the market, but there seems to be quite a substantial premium over a RHD... I am just starting my search and I am not sure if I would be paying too much for any of these. What do you think?

I keep thinking about it... I will probably take the risk of waiting a bit further and see if the price moves down by the end of the summer.

Your thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

ok, here are my thoughts... the market of these cars is a bit difficult. Yes, the few LHD models in good nick are on very high value in comparison with the rest of the world. BUT most of these cars are worth it, I mean the RHD too. I dont have to tell you the complete story because you already know the Lotus story, but a classy proper 4seater sportscar with a true Lotus 16V engine, full leather, pop up lights, comfort, roar, the look, wedge style and the handling... come on... 10k is nothing for it, I think you will agree :)

On the other hand the LHD are much double or triple the price of a RHD. I dont care about RHD/LHD. This delivers more opportunities. The driving fun and the whole rest of it, is the same. One exception: the state of the LHD cars are more often in better state than the RHD. One argument for the higher price beside the less produced mass.

Yes the green one was at HHR. The pictures I have seen from the mechanical work on the car from the actual owner is pretty convincing.

My advise: decide first if RHD is possible or LHD is a must. Then go on... In my experience the asked prices will not drop during the seasons. And as always... you will get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

Yes, and all theToyota bits and pieces which contributed to higher reliability. A very nice, under-rated car. The one to have when you have small kids. I am convinced, too. :) Just need to find the right one.

LHD looks like a must to me now, so you are probably right; either I pay the premium or I open my mind...

Let's see where I end up.