Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
NUMBER PLATE IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

NUMBER PLATE IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR!

Hello Lotus friend

My car have the number plate in-front of the radiator and it's was handed like this (please see the photo attached), but I'm worried because I think the number plate takes off the air necessary to the radiator and the engine could be overheat.

Run I the risk of to melt the engine!!??!!

The most photos that I have seen on web have the esprit number plates up to the radiator, my have in-front?? why?? it's really ok?? could be calm?!!

HELP ME!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply

Alessandro

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not an expert Alessandro, but I imagine if you monitor your temperature guages and they stay within limits you'll be safe.

If I was driving in Nevada every day I'd probably fit the plate above the grille though.

post-1403-1163454070.jpg

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I don't believe the lotus people have decided on the size of the radiators for the looks

i would fix the plate a bit higher

gr Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Alessandro - have you bought this car ?

Depends on the climate but thats's for front engine cars where the ice cold wind can cool the block down so they put something in the radiator.

Seen it on Elises as well - not a good idea imo.

On a mid/rear it has no purpose that I can see. At under the thermostat valve there is no significant flow from the radiator, so the pump is just moving water around the engine - when it gets to running temperature is when it starts to regulate. If the wind was so cold it would just keep the circulating around the engine - thats what the thermostat is for.

I would have thought this is a problem when you're at speed, becuase you're running high engine RPM and load the cooling here is significantly reduced. When you're stationary and the fans cut in they are also going to struggle to pull air through...

IMO it's NOT a good idea, I wonder if I might go as far to suggest you could create hotter areas on the radiator too ? Wonder what the effect on downforce is as well at speed, the radiator acts as a wind deflector angling air underneath the car (that's one fo the wind tunnel).

On the damage side I wouldn't have thought it'd run the car dangerously hot, depending on how it's driven - if it's been thrashed within an inch of it's life I'd be worried - if it's been used carefully in nothing more than a mild climate I'd be ok with it. As pointed out they run OK in hot climates such as western USA.

Check the fluid levels - if the engine has overheated for extended periods the coolant could be low as it is expelled through the pressure cap and into the expansion bottle in the inside wheel arch - when that gets full it dumps the coolant onto the road.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

They've done something similar to the car :

Owners_BrianM_00.jpg

Instead of mounting the plate correcty on the bumper they've moved it down.

There is a US spec number plate plinth and it lifts the plate into the bumper similar to the UK, it doesn't protrude as far into the grill as this, neither does the SE :

Owners_Ari_03.jpg

Restricts airflow and looks like the car has rabbit teeth - No Brainer if you ask me, correct position is below :

matt_2.jpg

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk