Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Look what Q has brought for us. Isn't it nice ? - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Look what Q has brought for us. Isn't it nice ?

Hi Jon, yes please, its another piece missing from my car! Thanks. Have you got any tips before I attempt an engine start? I had it running 15 months back, have you ever done oil pressure tests? Thanks.

Instrument panel steel plate top finisher. Slots into the cluster mounting frame in the gap between the top of the instrument cluster and the binnacle.

post-3309-0-26498400-1437853788.jpg

There are two small punched indentations that help to retain it in the cluster frame.

post-3309-0-76692700-1437853799.jpg

Dimensions in mm.  The plate is 1.0mm thick steel painted black with a 90 degree angle lengthwise.

post-3309-0-38474300-1437853815.jpg

Have you got any tips before I attempt an engine start? I had it running 15 months back, have you ever done oil pressure tests? Thanks.

Remove the plugs and the oil pressure sender pipe at the pressure sensor. Spin the engine on the starter until oil comes out of the pipe (collect it in a clear plastic bag so it doesn't go everywhere!).  This way you know the oil pump is primed and working.

Refit the oil pipe.

Check the fuel banjo's are secure and the fuel pump stops 'ticking' after 10s or so of operation - this tells you the carb needle valve is shutting off the fuel when the bowls are full.

Get a fire extinguisher close to hand and ensure you know how it works  :huh:

Refit the plugs, couple of presses of the accelerator pedal to prime the intake manifold with fuel and give it a go. If it was running 15 months ago then, unless you've altered the ignition timing or the carbs in any way, it should start. 

If your timing belt is more than 2 years old, I'd replace it as a matter of course.

Thanks Jon, thats all been a great help. Wish I'd thought of checking the sender pipe, genious! When I first started the project I had 3 car loads and a transit van of bits. I never took the car apart and hadnt seen any of the bits before. i took a picture of some of the parts for a powder coating quote. I have just one piece left that I couldn't identify, its now in lovely black powder coat and is shown before coating in the picture on the top right, just got to find it! Thats about the only luck i've had so far on this project, thanks for the help and advice.post-17315-0-10578800-1437854996.jpg

Thanks Fabian,

Do you have a pic or anything as reference?  

I believe Paul Coleman couldn't figure out what this part was and Steve from SJ's said; and I quote "it's just Sh*t" lol

Vin Taylor

Jon, what holds the steering cowl in position? It seems to friction fit in trim under dash but have no real fixings to column? Also will be fitting door trim soon any advice? Thanks.

Thats correct. The top and bottom shells of the cowl join and are fixed together with 2x screws in each side, but they don't fix to the column or dash in any way.

but they don't fix to the column or dash in any way.

Yes they do... the bottom part of the cowling fixes to the steering lock mechanism with a screw and washer.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

You should find that the bottom part of the cowl has two holes in it close together. One of the holes is where the button pokes through which you press to release the key and then there's another hole which is where the fixing screw goes. I can't remember the size but I think it's 3/16" UNF?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Jon,

Ive just twigged - the esprit bug - it's all your bloody fault:animier:

ive the May 1996 classic cars mag here - which I bought back in the day. I so very nearly bought an s1 back then - but "stupidly" bought a house instead.

my god - I could have had an Essex back then for an unmentionable price now. Couldn't find a g car this time round - but at least I have an esprit in the garage now.

oh - and the orange is without doubt the BEST colour!!!

Edited by Barrykearley

Only here once

Yes that 1996 issue of CC refused to be "filed" away and stayed on our coffee table for a number of years! That year I bought a Vauxhall Calibra Turbo and realised too late that I would have been much happier with an Esprit S1 AND a daily clunker for 2/3 the price. Took a while but put things right.

So yes it's all John's fault.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream