Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Steering play 1990 Turbo SE - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Steering play 1990 Turbo SE

The drawing shows the U/J 's when there is a 0 deg offset. From this initial position you can than set the offset between the U/J's.

After that centralize the rack (or check) and reposition the steering wheel.

Esprit Freak

Thanks, guys.

I think I was trying to over-complicate the process. With everything back together, I assumed the U/J bolts had to be in specific positions *relative to the ground* so that they would be less likely to fall out (with the wheel centralised) if the nuts came loose. i.e. in the position shown in the second diagram in the book.

Perhaps a relic of my aircraft engineering career.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I had a second chance to look at my steering rack. From all the forum messages, I understood that I had to centralise the rack. I was told by the local experts (in Australia) that there are 2.8 turns full lock left to full lock right on my Esprit, so I was turning the rack full left/right and then winding it back 1.4 turns to find the centre point. I did this by measuring turns and splines on the pinion. Unfortunately, this method was producing lengths on the tie rods which didn't seem normal.

I decided to put a device on the steering wheel for measuring angles. Full lock to lock on my car was 1045 degrees. Dividing this by 360 degrees, I got exactly 2.90 turns (both with the tie rods connected and disconnected to the steering arms). i.e. not 2.8

This is clearly where I've been going wrong. Now, after adjusting the midpoint to 1.45 turns, the alignment of the wheels appears to be much better.

Now off to the wheel aligment place. Hopefully all will be well :)

Cheers

Ian.