Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 19 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

Given that the Evora GT4 seem to be available on the Lotus site - I don't think the word Cayman can be omitted here! Not sure the Evora GT4 is any better value or less sold out though :)

Would be neat if Lotus offered some fabric or fabric & leather combo options.  Looks great on the 911 Classic cars.  Some bespoke British fabrics or fabrics designed by British designers like Paul Smith...  Lowing hanging fruit cache.

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

From what I can tell, the Evora GT4 is a competition car and not intended to be road legal, big difference.

If you asked nicely I suspect they could glue on a fog light and SVA test it for you!

Dave you might like to read Harris's views posted on the Goodwood site.

https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/drives-and-rides/porsche-cayman-gt4-driven#hUmMGJOAkO3UksbL.97

Surprisingly uncomplimentary coming from him I thought. You can choose to interpret his comments in a number of ways. Either he was left  disappointed after driving the Cayman GT4 or he is just towing the Porsche party line of putting the Cayman in its place and not allowing it to challenge the ever-protected 911. It seemed pretty clear to me that he was more impressed by the GTS for what it is and in comparison to his expectations. All the 'yes, yes, yes's seemed very forced in the video you posted too. I honestly think he was underwhelmed. Of course he'll hate the Evora 400 if he ever gets to drive one. He has written some very inflammatory stuff about the Evora, even dismissing all the praise in the press as blind jingoism! I think writing so much advertorial for Porsche takes its toll and he has to let off steam somewhere!

Either way, for me, the Cayman GT4 is simply not a shoe-in for the greatest car of all time as many over-excited forum posters would like to think it might be. Unlike with the 991 GT3 I think they've left a lot of room for improvement for a future, faster version.

"The electric steering is muted but well judged for speed, the motor pulls from 2000rpm, grows angry from 4500 to 6500rpm and is a little less impressive from that point to the 7800rpm cut-out. The GTS engine is actually smoother and keeps pulling all the way to the cut."

"It isn’t perfect – the long gearing is too much on the circuit as well. This is a double shame because you don’t get to enjoy that delicious shift action as often as you’d like! The steering is too mute and you are always aware that this is a ‘normal’ engine and not a motorsport special like the crazy 9k motor in the GT3. And this is where we have to remember how tricky the role of the GT4 is within Porsche’s model range. It somehow needs to be the car we’ve always wanted the Cayman to be, but it simply must not tread on the GT3’s toes."

Thanks for that. Interesting read. I read it that if you take the GT4 in the same price bracket / market to other cars, it's a very compelling car. Personally I would prefer PDK as an option as it's such a great gearbox. The long gears seem at odds with type of car too. If however you start to try and compare it to the 991 GT3 then that's another story.

The GTS spec does seem to be the sweet spot for the Cayman and Boxster. A recent enquiry for a standard spec Boxster GTS with PDK (price £56k) received a response of Mar 2016 for delivery. Obviously a popular car.

Hopefully we will have some impartial reviews of Evora 400 vs the equivalent Porsche range soon. Unfortunately with Harris taking a year long loan of a 911 from Porsche, I can't see a fair review there

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I happen to believe that, once the hype has finally settled down, the Cayman GTS will become seen as the sweet spot in the range. I think there's still work to be done on the GT4 before it can match the stratospherically high expectations. Expectations built in no small part by the overall excellence of the GTS.

As for the Evora, I hope the 400 will appeal to a broader market. If not, it is likely to be the last Evora. Much like the NSX before it, another great car that deserved to sell far, far more than it did.

@@@@Jonny

The comparison Lotus Evora / Honda NSX is spot on - "unfortunately"

After nearly 3 years of ownership of the Evora I just can say: everything like I expected, only better! If you want a GT Car than the Evora is the right car, the cayman GT whatever is a more track focussed car, if you want this, fine - but it is just a cayman with a wing, good car, I think, but special? Today nearly every new car is a "good" car but is that what a car should be? NO It should be exciting, special and full of character!

Personally disagree re GT4. Took a Cayman S specced same as a GTS for 120 mile test drive before buying my Evora S. The speed that car could carry across country, especially on the twisties with such confidence was up there with my previous 997 GT3. I still put the Cayman as the best handling car I've driven. The GT4 with extra power and GT3 suspension will be immense

Reviews seem to support this too http://youtu.be/L9-Sr8RPty4

That said I ended up buying an Evora, as rightly pointed out it feels a more special place to be when driving and much better exotic looks. Will be interesting to see lap times and associated reviews of the Evora 400 vs Cayman GT4, but I get the feeling they have different customer base .....anyway GT4 is sold out so irrelevant other than a bench mark

Couldn't agree anymore

They sound very naughty indeed!

Thanks for posting.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Cruise control optional?  really?  I can see it as optional on a track ready car, but the Evora is the closest thing to a Daily Driver offered by Lotus.

I would think any DD should have Cruise on it standard.   Maybe I'm just lazy.   :)

With the number of average speed cameras and normal speed cameras I often use cruise on cars to stay within speed limit.

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

My XK had a nice feature to limit the maximum speed.  Used it a couple of times.  Cruise should be stand on the Evora 400.  Actually, they should make just about everything standard so dealers aren't left sitting on a stripped out model that is idle on the lot for years...

Edited by brightoncorgi

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

Porsche have cruise control as optional on 911's/Caymans/Boxters. Jag also with the base F-Type, not sure about the V6S & R though. Its just the way things are with cars nowadays.

Just reading through this lot its still a simple personal prefference, id have the evora because it will stand out in a croud, go well, look well and occasionally squeeze the kids in the back, the porsche would be great but theres so many that look similar you wouldnt get the same wow factor, that just my view as a none track day type who loves a lotus. The germans make good cars for the masses, a lotus is for those who are different (however you look at it)

• Like 2

911's and Boxter's you see all the time, barely see any Caymans though. Only ever seen two of the current model, and not many of the previous one either.

As far as the Evora goes, being single I wouldn't bother with the rear seats. Never seen in the back of one but I cant imagine you would get adults in the back and my youngest is now 27.