Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 9 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

I went on a PH sunday morning meet last week, a new exige in dark blue (no wing)turned up and got lots of attention but didnt stay long, a nice yellow elan turned up too for the lotus fraturnity so hopefully the lotus PH'ers will stand up and give the negative comments some jip back!!

Hey Nico,

Don't forget the carbon-fibre Luis Vitton lugguage set for £5000 á la BMW i8. Can't go wrong with that. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

now luggage Id definitely go for....

some for the boot/trunk and some for the seats/shelf.......

there are iso fix points so I reckon it should be like 2 satchels that clip onto the isofix points...

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Lotus can't become a status symbol unless they go more exotic, upmarket and expensive. The 1980 Turbo was the equivalent of Lotus matching (perhaps surpassing) the Ferrari 458 and McLaren 650S.

A drive yesterday in the dry sump and Chapman's audacity is very obvious and can't fail to raise a smile, it's the embodiment of his ambition. Having beaten Ferrari on the race track he saw no reason why he couldn't take them on with a road car. Targeting the 911 with the Evora was done by the marketing department, I think they were setting their sights far too low in comparison!

Lotus need to be the best at something, it's not enough to be competitive. The open door for them to push against is the road/track car. With the 911 GT3 north of £100k it presents an opportunity to own the £50-£100k space. Well it did until the GT4 came out! Stealing that car's thunder is a crucial opportunity for Lotus. They need a faster, cheaper, more exciting, more communicative alternative to be a thorn in Porsche's side in every GT4 test this year. Rattling Porsche's cage worked wonders for the Nissan GTR. Lotus need to do likewise. Go on the offensive. Be Virgin Atlantic to Porsche's British Airways.

The Evora's a 911 alternative and not the car to take the fight to the GT4. The Exige 400 is. It can't come soon enough.

As long as they are the Virgin Atlantic and not the Freddy Laker.

But, I think you are right, a new Exige with the 400 engine could be the Jack Russell to nip at the ankles of the GT4. Hopefully you can get in it without the aid of a tub of Vaseline and a crane.

Evora400---Metallic-Black-WEB.jpg?itok=e

If the tint is accurate I'm sorry but it means the business with the black pack in any bright color, the Lauch grey is not even the color that suits the car best as white and orange do look bonkers on it.

As for me the model above quite does it and I'll take the leather pack plus the 5.1 surround sound system I mentioned in my options list Oh and i need custom cup holders  cause the car doesn't get the Elige one.  

• Like 1

Lotus can't become a status symbol unless they go more exotic, upmarket and expensive. The 1980 Turbo was the equivalent of Lotus matching (perhaps surpassing) the Ferrari 458 and McLaren 650S.

Likewise it'll take an Esprit to compete with those same cars today. The Evora was never marketed as a successor to the Esprit and I feel it has suffered as a result. It's always been a sort of stopgap model, while the motoring world waits for the return of the flagship.

Comparing to something as unexotic and drab as a Porsche is the wrong way to go any day of the week. Let the other mass produced autos duke it out amongst themselves - if you roll up in an Evora, a spectators first thought is more likely to be "Wow, what's that?" rather than "he should've bought a Porsche" (Motor journalists excluded). 

Anyway the marketing should be done accordingly - Lotus isn't for a person who can't quite afford a Porsche, it's for someone who appreciates exquisite handling, rarity and taste. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Bibs could you give JMG my options list for poseurs. I understand the need to simplify and add lightness but I believe poseurs exist to be take advantage off by applying ludicrous prices to things.... They could generate big fat margins for the company. ;)

I'm sure the motorsport premium colours will still be available, just a reduced palette of standard colours.

ah ok thanks for that.... always good to see an unusual color lotus ... long may it last :) 

There are in fact 2 solid colours, 7 metallics and 3 signature colours. Bespoke options will be available still at cost. 

This is much more rational and reassuring. Lotus can charge a lot for bespoke paint job, 3000$, the poseur in me is happier now. 

Now lets talk about this interior... What can the trim shop do to spice things up a bit ? I'm sure the online configurator will be online soon, won't it?

Can't agree with that AuRouge. British press is more pro-Porsche than pro Lotus. Look at Evo, half of them own 911's, Porsche reviews sell more magazines than Lotus and they spend far more on advertising and lavish press launches. Evo and the rest can't afford to upset either Porsche or Ferrari. Lotus is an easy target along with Aston Martin and Jaguar who all receive far more criticism in the UK press than Porsche do.

But Chris Harris was paid to write that. And also took the trouble to slate the new Evora in his spare time to his 94,000 Twitter followers for good measure. It will cost Lotus sales for sure and erode the confidence which is crucial for car sales at this end of the market. Potentially sue-able I'd say. The really hideous thing is that he's doing it all as a stunt to come across as the only journo with the balls to tell 'the truth'. Toxic individual.

With full respect Pits, I disagree with you too. Porsche make great cars and the British press rightly acknowledges it. Porsche etc have been putting out a lot of cars for the British press to talk about. Lotus hasn't. If Lotus did make more models then maybe there would be something positive to talk about...

Lotus makes great drivers cars. Harris is simply making the point that they are not as good as Porsche as their budget is different. This is true, the build quality of my Evora isn't the same as a German rival. It's much more fun to drive and own though!!

He's stupid making such a meal of it (look at me BS) without driving it but when he praises the German motors it's because they are GOOD! Might not be to my taste but that's irrelevant. They are in a different league overall.

In my eyes you can spend a load of money on R & D but you can't buy the Lotus way of making a car drive, it's exciting and a thrill everytime. (Even if the footwell is wet!)

I hope that somebody at Lotus will push this "thrill of driving" across more in it's next marketing campaign. Porsches are great but will they make you feel excited in the way a new Lotus will?

No they won't.