Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sticking handbrake - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sticking handbrake

So the car needs an MOT prior to me re-taxing the bloomin thing. Currently the passenger side handbrake mechanism will come on fine but not return. i.e the handbrake is stuck on. I've tried to wiggle the dastardly thing around to loosen it but to no avail. there's also a ton of Copper Grease which looks to be impeding as opposed to helping. Have doused in WD40 but still stiff as anything. Handbrake goes on fine, but does not go off! I never really use it in real life but need to get it through its MOT! any pointers/tips?

Regards,

Jon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also worth checking the cable for free movement?

Assuming it's just the handbrake operation that sticks, not the foot brake ( ie caliper piston) too...just stripped mine, and it doesn't take much gunk to stop the piston returning.

Just had exactly the same issue with mine. So I bought a cheap seal kit from SJ and set about rebuilding them.

Oddly, the sliders were nicely copper slipped and the pistons looked like new so it had, had a recent rebuild but the only thing I could find is that the handbrake arm on one caliper was slow to return, so I eased that with some WD40, rebuilt with new seals and re-fitted it all, and it works like new.

It is essential that the arms move freely and return to their stops...otherwise it won't self-adjust. The pivot can get manky with stuff off the road and this causes the whole thing to get stiff...so freeing up the pivot with WD 40 helps. It must return under the pressure of the return spring with the handbrake cable attached. The cables get manky, too...the outer plastic bit gives way and the outer steel part corrodes to the inner cable, which makes the whole thing very sticky. Only cure is a new cable, in this case.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If it's the cables, I wonder how good these are?

http://www.frost.co.uk/hydraulic-cable-oiler.html

Anyone used one to good effect?

A small manual one works fine on my bike cables, but not tried one of these. Outer could then be re-sleeved with heat shrink tube if it works, as I understand changing the handbrake cables is a real PITA.

Good luck.

I agree with John re the cable. Had to replace mine last year as the handbrake kept on coming on whilst I was driving. All fine now.

Chris