Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
To look for when buying? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

To look for when buying?

GONENSEC

Question

In process of buying an 1987 S3 HCi and trying to find out what areas to look out for when purchasing the car.

Car is red with 35,000 miles and one owner.

The car has been sitting for 3 years, I know to look for pitting, Rust in the cylinder walls etc... I'm going to replace all fuel lines, radiator hoses, radiator, clutch, heavy duty gear shaft.

Other than the suspension and the motor mount what else should I be looking for?

I also wouldn't mind considering mods, maybe bigger turbos if available and injection nozzles, any suggestion?

What other mods are mods worth pursueing?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

Sounds sweet, in the proper colour as well!

I reckon that apart from changing all belts+service items, only driving for a while will show any perished bushes if at all. Waste gate may be a bit sticky if not been used for a few years, so take it easy.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

PS. Mods on this car not required!!!

Edited by esprit22

if you are thinking of modding a S3turbo, Don't .

get a Stevens 88> model with the ren box in, the gearbox will be able to take the mods safely, the Citroen gearbox in the S3 is close to its limits.

also, lotus are renowned for handling and performance, why mess? they have tried and tested the cars on the track, change that ,and you may as well build a kit car yourself and suffer the consequences.

Edited by dodgy154

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

if you are thinking of modding a S3turbo, Don't .

get a Stevens 88> model with the ren box in, the gearbox will be able to take the mods safely, the Citroen gearbox in the S3 is close to its limits.

also, lotus are renowned for handling and performance, why mess? they have tried and tested the cars on the track, change that ,and you may as well build a kit car yourself and suffer the consequences.

Understood thank you for your response I am starting to agree!

Open the rear boot lid...smell for gas fumes. Lotus often used a latex rubber hose to connect the

vent of the left tank to the right tank. This hose breaks down over time with exposure and contact

with fuel (was not fuel grade material). The hose runs just under and along the top roof line edge

of the rear compartment openning near the top edge of the rear window to the passenger

compartment. Since this hose is hidden, people don't inspect it. The hose degradation happens

just inside of the body panels behind the fuel fill caps.

Check to see if this hose is white/tan latex type material...or black fuel line grade hose. If black,

someone replaced it. If white/tan latex type material...replace it. If dark yellow, its degrading to where

it will be drying and cracking soon. I recommend replacing this hose for any S2/S3/S4 owner.

I'm not sure if this vent hose existed on S1. I've smelled the problem on 1988/1989 S4s.

so this design issue carried on for a long time and into the redesigned vehicle.

Also, when you get the car home, remove the belly pan and inspect the fuel filter(s).

Add a filter between the fuel tank and pump to catch any sand grains (I have and use 2).

My 1984 car has the US DOT forbidden gravity fed or bottom draw fuel tanks, I don't know

when Lotus changed to the proper draw up from the bottom system (maybe the change

happened by 1987). But the gravity fed fuel pumps receive and jam on any rust particles

and dirt particles that settle on the bottom of the fuel tank.

Do the usual, inspect the belts for fraying, oil puddles in the spark plug pockets. Let the

car sit idling for 20 minutes to verify that the radiator cooling fans turn on/off by themselves.

Turn ON the headlamps to make sure both head lamps go up and down smoothly without

making much sound.

Edited by 1984_lotus_esprit

It depends on what you want the car for. If you want a nice driver then look at it that way. If you want a very nice show car look for that type of car.

If you want a show car and buy a driver your going to spend 10k (or more) to get from point a to point b.

Look close at the interior, leather is expensive to restore.

Service history- The more info you have about the cars history the better. The valve clearences need adjusting from time to time.

Paint- Look for stress cracks in the fiberglass, around the headlight pods, fuel filler, etc.

Underneath Front fascia- Check to see if the car has bottomed out.

Accident History Check- The cars are hard to put back together so they go down the road safely.

Drive it- Check to see how you fit in the car. See how well the tranny shifts, the car runs.