Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Driver's door opens too far - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Driver's door opens too far

Hi all - can anyone help/advise?

For some time now the driver's door on my 1995 s4 has been opening beyond the "stop" and this results in the door opening so far that the door stops against the hinge - this has resulted in a groove slowly been cut into the door by the edge of the hinge!

Any ideas as too what this is - is something broken or merely come loose inside the door?

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all - can anyone help/advise?

For some time now the driver's door on my 1995 s4 has been opening beyond the "stop" and this results in the door opening so far that the door stops against the hinge - this has resulted in a groove slowly been cut into the door by the edge of the hinge!

Any ideas as too what this is - is something broken or merely come loose inside the door?

Cheers

Chris

There is an adjustment within the door. The door card has to come off for access. Once you have it open it will be pretty straight forward what needs to be done. It might help after you know where you want it to add lock-tite to the threads of the adjusting nut.

I guess they work loose with time and the amount of times the door is opened all the way and opens against the stop.

There is an adjustment within the door. The door card has to come off for access. Once you have it open it will be pretty straight forward what needs to be done. It might help after you know where you want it to add lock-tite to the threads of the adjusting nut.

I guess they work loose with time and the amount of times the door is opened all the way and opens against the stop.

Thanks Paul - I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on!

Not sure about later stevens cars with changed door handles, but the earlier cars with the Austin Maxi door handles, if you open the door latch on the inside of the car it will expose three screws. Loosen these right off but dont remove them. There are two plastic clip surrounds, with a bit a fiddling pop these out. Theres a screw to undo on both sides of the door as well, take these out. From here you can carefully pull the panel away. It will expose the wiring and plugs for the window, mirrors etc. You can unplug these to get the panel out of the way or it place the panel in the seat next to you the wiring loom should reach (mine does anyway). It will expose everything you need to adjust the door. While in there if you have time its a good idea to clean and regrease the window winder arms and check that the plastic wheels arent worn. Drip some 3-1 oil in the top of the window motor too and pray it dosent leak like my windor motor does :lol: GGrrrrr!

Edited by kyliesmith.com
350.gifNo.23

Not sure about later stevens cars with changed door handles, but the earlier cars with the Austin Maxi door handles, if you open the door latch on the inside of the car it will expose three screws. Loosen these right off but dont remove them. There are two plastic clip surrounds, with a bit a fiddling pop these out. Theres a screw to undo on both sides of the door as well, take these out. From here you can carefully pull the panel away. It will expose the wiring and plugs for the window, mirrors etc. You can unplug these to get the panel out of the way or it place the panel in the seat next to you the wiring loom should reach (mine does anyway). It will expose everything you need to adjust the door. While in there if you have time its a good idea to clean and regrease the window winder arms and check that the plastic wheels arent worn. Drip some 3-1 oil in the top of the window motor too and pray it dosent leak like my windor motor does :) GGrrrrr!

Dave (Riddlemr2) - looks like your s4 is the same year as mine and this line may help - it looks pretty simple so I'm going to give it a go in the next week or so. Good luck.

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EGuides/...rremovenew.html

• 2 weeks later...

No Luck,

I took the door card off, and removed the plastic access panel so I could see where a bolt slides in a groove as the door is opened. This piece is described as a "set screw" in my service parts list, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it without removing the door from the door frame. You can see in the attached picture where I have circled this bolt, or set screw. as I move the door, I can see where tension is put on this bolt, then it sort of pops (the "set screw" is obviously loose) and moves past where it should.

Edited by Riddlemr2

No Luck,

I took the door card off, and removed the plastic access panel so I could see where a bolt slides in a groove as the door is opened. This piece is described as a "set screw" in my service parts list, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it without removing the door from the door frame. You can see in the attached picture where I have circled this bolt, or set screw. as I move the door, I can see where tension is put on this bolt, then it sort of pops (the "set screw" is obviously loose) and moves past where it should.

If it's the same as the earlier models, then you should be able to tighten it, bit of a pig to get a spanner on , but the head of the set screw is captive in a channel in the aluminium beam.

The "pop" as the dor opens is as the spring reaches maximum movement then releaaees tension moving back to it's normal state with the set screw the other side of the spike, that way it keeps the door from closing on you.

Andy

From my recollection, I thought I had to use two wrenches to tighten (top and bottom). Are you sure you can't get a small wrench on the other side? If it is totally unaccessible, it sounds like somehow you need to get that bolt to stop turning (hopefully the door does not have to come off!)

I'm pretty sure there's no way to stop the bolt from turning without removing the door. I have the car at Foreign Toys in Fort Lauderdale, which is a Lotus mechanic, but they also do interior restorations, so I trust them to take the door apart. When in doubt, write a check :D

• 5 months later...

Chris,

How did you go with this repair? Both my stays aren't working and one looks like it had a shoddy repair done in the past. Do you have any more photos you can post. Because of the damage I can't work out how they should work or look like.

Thanks

Danny

DanR