Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
painting my engine - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

painting my engine

bigsi

as the block is aluminium i have been told the following.

after cleaning, spray with metal ready as this will etch the surface then apply the engine enamel.

also the same with the rear framework, clean the frame with a rotary wire brush , spray with metal ready then apply por15 chassis paint.

is this correct ?

if so i cna get it all ready.

thanks

simon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an engine rebuild done many years ago by Kelvedon motors and they painted the engine at the time.

Looked good for a while buth then the paint started flaking off and in the end it looked worse than it would do had it just been left and perhaps steam cleaned ???

Ok we are talking 20 years ago and i cant remember how long the finish lasted but perhaps it would be better to leave it as is ????

Its hard to get paint to stick (and last )on an aluminium engine block.

I left mine in its raw state, but applying a Vynil Wash or acid etch epoxy primer (before the enamel) will help.

It has to be absolutely grease free and clean aswell.

Shame to paint such a nice Aeroplane and Motor casting :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I'd be inclined to leave it as is as well...

Why not go for a clear coat over the top of the aluminium - Makes it easy to spray off accumulated dirt and grime, and still looks stock.

I do this on my Mini's and looks way better than a coat of silver and still looks good after 8 years. If it is flaking, you can't tell where...

As far as the chassis goes, Jon posted an article in the Stevens section a while back on exactly what you're planning on doing. He lists all the stuff and how he went about it.

See if I can find link...

Found something ... http://www.glcforum.com/esprit/forums/inde...ic=2879&hl=

What I was really looking for was this http://www.jonathanedwards.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/restore link seems to be broken :lol:

Edited by markt

i have spoken to frost today and also some us, hot rod guys online.

frost do a complete engine pre and paint kit in an all in one box, so im getting that, and they have reccomended the por15 rust inhibitor paint and then the sterling silver chassis paint thats made to pisnt over the pro15 rust primer paint.

it seems using this kit is the job and preps it all ready for the paint that comes with it all.

cant wait to get it all out of the car, cleaned painted and re-built/fitted.

As far as the chassis goes, Jon posted an article in the Stevens section a while back on exactly what you're planning on doing. He lists all the stuff and how he went about it.

http://www.jonathanedwards.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/restore link seems to be broken :lol:

This what you were looking for Mark?

Jon's site also includes a page of POR-15 user tips that might be useful Si.

James

Edited by Tentenths