Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Long Old Road Ahead (Time to Strip!) - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Long Old Road Ahead (Time to Strip!)

Good work on the cleanout simon :yes a tidy ship is a happy ship plus you can find your tools quicker

to save some time :lol: Your car should be looking mighty fine pretty soon with those

new wheels of yours,, its a pitty the pcd is different as as on mine the pcd was the same so for the fronts

i just tried loads of washers to pack the wheel out to see what it loked like and to sort clearance issues! before ordering spacers

Hilly is definately your man for the spacers he sorted out the rears for mine :P

cant wait to see a g car wearing sport 350 wheels :no

Picture043.jpg

regards danny

Edited by silverfrost

A

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone else......

More than welcome anytime....

If it looks like theres a nice weekend coming up and I've got the bits.... I'll let you know and your most welcome to come get drunk...!!!!

Will be renting 2 of my rooms out though as I need the cash like desperate....!!!

I'll be down to 1 spare room with double fouton and 3 x comfy sofas..... a kitchen floor and the hall.....!!!

Cheers for the offer guys...

Will let you all know...!!!

Simon

Hi Simon,

me and phil are available to come down friday night and help or hinder you this weekend. I think BigSi would come over too. Is there any work you can do on the car this weekend, or at least do you want a fence rebuilding??? What about an excuse to come down and hoon ( might lend you the keys for the GT3 to go for a spin , but that will only make you want an S-car so bad idea!!)

what do you think?

Alex

PS: I also have loads of wood I can chop for a fire that I can bring down! Well as much as you can safely get in the back of an esprit!

call by and grab me on the way through alex, because i havent got a clue how to get to and from simons place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my new engine oil should be here tomorrow from the guys at opie oils so i can change that this weekend also.

Edited by bigsi

call by and grab me on the way through alex, because i havent got a clue how to get to and from simons place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my new engine oil should be here tomorrow from the guys at opie oils so i can change that this weekend also.

Hi Si,

spoke with other Si and we are on this weekend for an esprit and beer binge really. Hes hasnt gots lots to do on his car (waiting for bits) but we can help out your first service and also run over to Punky's. He apparently he has got his new engine running and he is as happy as a dog with two wotsits. And so me and phil are heading down on Friday evening, when do you want us to swing by and grab you????

cheers

Alex

Hi All

Thanks for the support....!!!

Just got off the phone to Alex.....

Your all welcome to come down and have a party...... the more wood the merrier...!!!!

Will be renting rooms out from NEXT weekend, so this weekend will be the last chance for a real pi** up and be able to sleep in beds...!!!! LOL

Anyone fancy it drop me a line.... not looked at the weather though, if its gonna be a fab weekend we could do a bbq as well with me butchers meat....!!!!! :realmad:

Wasn't going to start taking it appart this weekend, but if everyones coming down, i guess I might as well....!!!!

Or just get trollied....!!!!! :rtfm:

Theres a :ice: on Friday night next door, and Sat night theres :rant: karioke (how u spell that???)

Let me know guys and girls....!!!!

Simon

Chunky Lover

Hi Si,

spoke with other Si and we are on this weekend for an esprit and beer binge really. Hes hasnt gots lots to do on his car (waiting for bits) but we can help out your first service and also run over to Punky's. He apparently he has got his new engine running and he is as happy as a dog with two wotsits. And so me and phil are heading down on Friday evening, when do you want us to swing by and grab you????

cheers

Alex

on your way past would be good!! :realmad:

my oil should be here tomorrow , only thing i havent got is a new oil filter, but im not sure if i need to cheange that now also.. will have to speak to troy about it, if i need one i will have to see if i can get it here for the weekend.

on your way past would be good!! :realmad:

my oil should be here tomorrow , only thing i havent got is a new oil filter, but im not sure if i need to cheange that now also.. will have to speak to troy about it, if i need one i will have to see if i can get it here for the weekend.

Great , send me and Phil (noneshallpass) a PM with your address in and we will get you friday evening

Alex

Hi Simon,

Looks like it's going to be a scorcher at the weekend, so it looks like the fence is history. :realmad:

Have you filled up your gas bottle? It was struggling a bit by the end of Punky's chipolata levitating act.

I bet you're regretting tidying the garage now you know the North West posse is headin' into town! :rtfm::rant:

Should I bring my polishing kit in case we run out of things to break fix?

Phil

More speed, less haste

• 2 weeks later...

Well......

Last weekend I started on my car..... following the previous weekends less than productive weekend of drinking, BBQing driving and fire creating.......

1st job..... jack the car up...... DONE...!!!!

2nd job..... remove front cowling, raidiator assembly and ducting..... DONE....!!!!

3rd job...... remove hub to enable new bolt PCDs to be machined..... DONE...!!!!

4th job..... visual check radiator, aircon rad & oil cooler...... DONE....!!!!

5th job..... jetwash all rads to clean off accumilated road junk...... DONE......!!!!!

Apparently all the rads are going to be pressure tested next week to ensure there aint no problems....

The main rad has been recored at some point in time and converted to a triple core, a good thing i guess, but because the recored rad couldn't be held in place with the original riveted straps due to the increase in width its now been heavily braised to the mounting frame making any future recores a very difficult process..... :(

Also the extra width extends out the rear of the rad housing which means the fan cowling can no longer mount flat on the frame...... not that it stopped one of the previous owners from attempting to do it...... this has resulted in the fan cowling being badly broken in several places with many sections missing.... :D

Added to this, the 3 x round metal frames that hold the fans to the cowling were held in with 1 x rivet and 3 x cable ties....... :wacko: thats right 1 rivet between all 3 of them.... and one other losely cable tied in place..... not good......!!!! one of the frames had no support whatsoever and the mounting frame just span in the cowling......

Because they had TRIED to mount the cowling to the main Rad frame this put the fans too close coupled with the fact they weren't secured correctly has mean the fans have been rubbing on the core....... especially evident on the centre fan..... luckily its just dented the core slightly where the motor spindle is and not actually penetrated it.......

Muppets......!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, onwards and upwards....

Hopefully I can reconstuct the fan cowling with fibreglass and add a spacer strip either side to help the fans clear the rad core....

Going to check the condition of the fans this weekend to make sure they work correctly and pretty them up a bit.......

Rust treat the rad frame and blow over the rads with satin black paint to pretty them up a bit.....

The Rad ducting has taken a whack on one of the corners so I'm gonna cut that out and reglass a new piece in...... not really that important but just fancy doing it....

Rust treat and paint the fan mounting frames and refix to the fan cowling....

Remove all front suspension components and steering rack and depending on time start cleaning it off and painting it...... although that'll depend on drinking time....... :mail:

Sorry no photos at present to accompany the text as I've just changed phones and not uploaded the photos to my laptop.....

Hopefully progress will be as anticipated this weekend and I'll have some pics for you all next week.....

Peace to all

Simon xxxx

p.s. got trollied over the pub next door drinking tequilla and stella last night....... bet the land lord his new state of the art video duke box wouldnt have Shakin Stevens on it...... lost

Chunky Lover

hmmm... still drunk... that was me two weeks ago working on a 92 dodge stealth.... Good to hear your making progress... unfortunate there are so many issues though!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

ah so you got smthing there for me to break.. i mean clean tomorrw then!!

should be away mid morning ish matey as kelly is working tonight and i have cammy, so im up early with him so she can get get some sleep. if i cant make it i will call you.

si

i certainly hope were not doing the work topless Simon, noticed this on my roof YESTERDAY ( yep, i seem to be a lttle slow lately :hope: )

IMG_0962.jpg

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Deffo not been working topless Dave...!!!!

Got about 20 of those blue Royal Mail tops from when I was a shift engineer.....

Didnt put my thinking cap on this morning...... sat in Swansea covering for the engineers who are on strike today..... should have brought some car bits to keep me busy....!!!!!!

New suspension turned up yesterday....... YIPPEEEEE.....!!!!!

Umm.... er.... that box feels a little heavy for alloy shocks.......

Ummm..... bugger..... wrong ones.....!!!!! :wallbash:

Simon

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

if you are in swansea covering for them,and you have not alot to do, what are they getting paid for when they are not on strike :beer:

when you said the shocks had arrived, i got the flask out and the overnight bag :wallbash:

have they sent you the standard shocks ? :rofl:

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Right......

Well my busy weekend working on the car last week was interupted by beer n women......

Worked on her most of Saturday, Didnt at all on Sunday due getting up a 1pm after yet another heavy night, dinner being late at my parents house and going roung the lovely Danielles house in the evening...... :wallbash:

Did get a bit done though so heres a quick update......

The rad assembly was out of the car as previously posted so I stripped the whole lot down to inspect the rads...

Missing some photos cause I've changed phones and aint got the photos off my old phone....

Up side is spanky new phone with 3mpixel camera....!!!! NICE...!!!! oh and you can make calls on it 2....!!!!! LOL

Here is the rad and housing jetwashed and ready for a good wirebrushing...

23062007015.jpg

Note the marks from where the middle fan has been running against the rad cores..... :beer:

23062007016.jpg

never mind, aint that bad, hasn't damaged the core itself much at all... just cosmetic really.....

Lucky really as a recore would have meant some pretty major work to remove the radiator from the cowling as it has been braised in place.......

23062007018.jpg

Heres the busted up cowling....

23062007025.jpg

Then it was with wire brush in hand that I set about removing the worst of the rust from the rad frame and fan rings and aircon rad mounts.....

Followed by a coat of KuRust to stabilise the remaining material....

23062007022.jpg

23062007024.jpg

23062007021.jpg

Each have now been primed and blown over with satin black... apart from the oil cooler thats silver again......

23062007023.jpg

Chunky Lover

Next it was on to the rad cowling/ducting, whichever you may wish to call it.....

There was a hole knocked off in one of the corners and 2 of the holes to which the undertray fixes where badly damaged....

Never ever touched fibre glass before so it was going to be interesting to say the least.....

23062007028.jpg

Cut the damagead areas out.... 3 x layers of matting either side of the damaged area and about 8 layers to fill the void cut out..

23062007030.jpg

Here it is after trimming with the dremel..... Robbing gits in B&Q

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Oh yeah..... finally got a good picture of my dirty helmet and some girls in the Royal Oak.....

Firstly my dirty helmet.....

25062007035.jpg

AlexGT3, Phil and BigBoy will remember this night well....

and secondly my latest fans from the pub next door.....

24062007034.jpg

Spent the entire night trying to ignore them..... they kept pestering and swooning n stuff, less em.... so I finally relented and gave them what they wanted... a photo with me.... well I think they deffo wanted much more than a photo and a snog on the cheek but they were not getting it....!!!!

Ok the one in the middle looks a little like a Rabbit, she was better in real life, especially with the knee highs n stuff.....

Saw them Yesterday..... sat at the bus stop where all the other 15yo girls hang out........ DANGEROUS..... VERY DANGEROUS.....!!!!

Simon

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Ug Si,

Thats horrible..........the helmet that is. Musta taken hours to clean the bike up!!

In fact the second picture is almost as horrible. I think I'd rather take you home!! :beer:

still, better than your normal sheep I suppose :wallbash: !!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

if you are in swansea covering for them,and you have not alot to do, what are they getting paid for when they are not on strike :harhar:

when you said the shocks had arrived, i got the flask out and the overnight bag :lol:

have they sent you the standard shocks ? :(

Can't answer the 1st question as it may cause internal issues at work..... I'll tell you next time your down at mine....!!!!

The shocks they sent are the Steel nickle plated ones with adjustable platforms..... to be fair they look pretty good, just not what I want or paid for..!!!!

Thats horrible..........the helmet that is. Musta taken hours to clean the bike up!!

In fact the second picture is almost as horrible. I think I'd rather take you home!!

still, better than your normal sheep I suppose !!

Not started on the bike dude... its bin sat in the garage ever since as I've started playing with the car and the weathers bin pants....!!!!

Nowt wrong with the sheeps round ere....!!!! although I do agree I do look quite hot in that photo..... cheers for pointing it out....!!! :coffee:

Going back over the pub tonight to see what I can pull this time.....!!! :thumbsup:

Simon

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

ummm.... we're "pulling for ya"... :thumbsup: 15 year olds are dangerous though hehe... try and get 'em at least 18....

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Oh yeah..... finally got a good picture of my dirty helmet and some girls in the Royal Oak.....

and secondly my latest fans from the pub next door.....

24062007034.jpg

Ok the one in the middle looks a little like a Rabbit, she was better in real life, especially with the knee highs n stuff.....

Simon

Well rabbits do have a reputation so it could have been fun. (if you were 15.)

Roger-Rabbit-2-web.jpg

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Not started on the bike dude... its bin sat in the garage ever since as I've started playing with the car and the weathers bin pants....!!!!

Simon

Simon.

How could you leave that crap on your bike???!!!! :thumbsup: Mate those dead flies are acidic and will damage your laquer if you leave em on for long enough.

My baby gets cleaned straight after, whether I've used her roughly or ridden her gently. I do like to get her dirty but it's nicer to wipe her down after after getting her between my thighs. It's only polite...... :harhar: Now, enough about Wendy...... :coffee:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer