Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Swap - 907 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Swap - 907

Shenton79

Hi all, 

I am new to the group and to Lotus cars in general.  Yesterday I purchased a 1978 S2 with a disassembled motor, perhaps the least of my problems I assume...

Nevertheless, I would like to know you thoughts on buying a good motor and doing a swap rather than doing a complete engine rebuild on the existing motor.  I found a 907 from a 1973 Jensen Healey which has a beautiful Delorto carb set-up on it.  It was gone through 5 years ago and has new rings, a valve job, checked all tolerances, main bearings, gaskets, fixed an oil pick-up / sump issue, good compression, etc.  The engine was never installed back into the Jensen because the body and frame of the car became too much of a project for the young man.  Its been turned a couple of times a year and kept inside a dry garage.  

Questions:

1.  Will it fit?
2.  Should I buy it?
3.  Is there a thread on here or another site about this exact swap out?
4.  Anyone in CT, USA here?

Thanks all!

Shenton King

Lotus Engine 1.jpg

Lotus Engine 2.jpg

DSC07676.jpg

Edited by Shenton79

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

It'll need to lose the fan on the front obviously and I think the top water pipe may need to change as well. Other guys with more knowledge than I have will be along Shenton.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I have a couple of friends who are very active in the UK Jensen Healey communities and they all seem to spend their time swapping out the original  engine which was good for about 130bhp for a 910HC. It will make them smile to hear of someone planning to use an original Healey engine in an S2 Esprit, but if it will help you get it back on the road why not.  

People on this forum will recommend that you replace the timing belt regardless as it's 5 years old, and in addition to the plumbing and fittings around the water pump that Michael has mentioned, you'll need to swap around the saddle cam covers because you'll have difficulty getting at the filler cap  if you fit it the way it is at the moment!

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

19 hours ago, Choppa said:

, you'll need to swap around the saddle cam covers because you'll have difficulty getting at the filler cap  if you fit it the way it is at the moment!

Is that even the right place on a Jensen for the filler cap?

6 hours ago, Shenton79 said:

I completely understand on the HP issue, but yes...to get it on the road again and for only $450...shouldn't I just do it? 

it is only 30bhp or so less than the s2 motor, so yes i would pop it in for now and get the car running,  then look at rebuilding the old engine when funds pemit, better to a running car with less bhp than no running car at all in my eyes. :) 

A

Keep us posted, everybody here gets excited (with reason) when another one hits the road:animier:

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

• 1 month later...

Hi Shenton,

Great that you bought a S2 esprit (i also own one!)

i really thinks it will fit but you must look after this:

23lcl0w.jpg

(right is Lotus and Left is Jensen Healey)  (i thought, its a long time ago, i did the same thing)