Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
window gets stuck - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

window gets stuck

Hi,

I have a 1989 Excel, and the passenger window keeps getting stuck , it slows down speeds up and it looks like the battery is running out, which its not. So I have had a look and removed the electric motor and that runs fine when not connected to anything, I have sprayed silicone spray on the runners . Moving the widow up and down by hand it does feel tight in places but its difficult to know what is correct. I'm guessing its therefore either the gearbox( if that's the correct word ) or the whole of the mechanism , the steel work is somehow bent or distorted. I would welcome any advise or experience of this problem.   cheers  Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The frames rust badly so it's worth removing the rubber runner, remove any rust that's expanded and so reduced the channel, then refit the rubber. While doing it, check that the rubber still has the felt-like material on the surfaces as it reduces friction.

• Like 1

Hi peter, not sure if your door glass is a similar design to the old esprits, but worth checking as i had the same problem, Window kept getting slower and slower towards gettting near the top, it went on for ages and gradually got worse, To the point where i had to wiggle and pull the window near the top to get it to shut.

I was a right pain and i thought the motor was on the way out, but when i retrimmed the interior, as the door card was off, i looked inside and operated the motor, only to find on the window channel/inside frame one of the allen key bolts was sticking out, at first i thought it must of broken off but it had just worked its way loose over time and gradually got in the way of the window going past, hence wiggling the glass got the window up. ! 

A quick tighten of the allen key bolt and hey presto job done.  Worth checking just to rule it out :)

A

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestion's I have looked and had a go at all of them , but I now think its actually the motor, because although I did test it, by letting just run freely, as soon as It has any load on it eg I grab the end with my hand, I can easily stop it, which does not seem right.??  It looks fine no burning or obvious signs of damage , I assume its the magnets that go or the brush's start to not work. Anyway can they be repaired of just buy a new one, Lotus bits didn't have one any one else you know? Its a Delco motor

cheers

Pete

Sounds like the motor then Peter, If you can stop it with your hand, do not think lotus had the window motor sensor fitted that stopped kids getting their heads stuck and strangled in the windows in those  days :blush:  Have you tried SJ sportscars or Paul Mattys maybe, 

A

• Gold FFM

Peter. Look for fueltheburn on here. I sold him a garage load of spares a few months back and there was a pair of motors in the lot. Keiran is setting up a small business selling new/used Lotus parts.