Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speed Limit Petition - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Speed Limit Petition

The Alliance of British Drivers have started a petition....yes, I know it's most likely that nothing will come of it....but let's at least TRY to get back to a scientific system of setting limits and away from the current idiot system where we seem to be at the mercy of the ignorant.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/129756

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The article you cite was going very well, until this...

"So far as speed limiting is concerned, it is not cheap to install, maintain or police. We also calculate a loss of about £3000,000,000 per annum for every 1 MPH that UK’s road infrastructure is delayed and slowed. Probably about £30,000,000,000 per annum. How many lives could be saved with that kind of money in the NHS, A & E, Emergency and Fire & Rescue Services instead?"   This is self evident drivel. Who calculated this, how was it done and who on earth accepted the result?? Three billion pounds?? (if you insert the comma in the right place) for every 1mph?? I'd need to see very detailed proof of this before I accepted that. Could be a stuttering keyboard, I suppose....

Other than that, a well argued and accurate summation. Imagine if flight safety was dependant on the whim of local councillors......

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Completely up for this. I am sick of some of the best country roads around me having 50mph blanket speed limits whacked on them for no sensible reason. There are also urban roads (and I absolutely agree about stupid dual carriageway limits) that you drive along and can just feel that the limit is set too low and is not appropriate. Time for some action, this should be spread far and wide.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

The 85% tile methodology is not surprisingly scientific and sensible:

Theory

Use of the 85th percentile speed concept is based on the theory that:

• the large majority of drivers:
    • are reasonable and prudent
    • do not want to have a crash
    • desire to reach their destination in the shortest possible time
  • a speed at or below which 85 percent of people drive at any given location under good weather and visibility conditions may be considered as the maximum safe speed for that location.

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/szn/determining_the_85th_percentile_speed.htm

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I took it to 225, but some way to go.  To succeed I suspect it must get out beyond enthusiast sites to the general motoring public. Afraid I am in the special needs group re pushing things to "go viral", as I believe its called.  Anyone hot on Twitter, Facebook etc?  Any chance of getting a mention on the RAC/AA sites? As a news item, of course. Into the Telegraph/Times weekend motoring press, Autocar etc? Who here has contacts?  I'm told that a mention on Twitter by some respected celeb with thousands of followers, some of whom will retweet, is the key to a chain reaction.

Edited by mdavies

I wanted to sign the petition but it's only open to UK citizens. Always willing to help out

fellow enthusiasts. There is a ton of empirical evidence to support the 85 percentile rule.

Carl

2014 Red Evora S  2+ 0 w/ Blackpack