Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 14 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

• Gold FFM

Watching some stuff on the new Jaguar F-Type SVR online earlier. I checked Jag's spec sheet, the car weighs "from" 1705KG! I don't know what "from" is meant to imply, or what that weight is (DIN/EU/DRY) but I am assuming it's a DIN weight and if so... Jesus. That's a full 300kg up on a 400. That's the same as about three Honda CG125s (the little learner motorbike). Incredible.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

They sound mean @Stuno1 although like my dad's AMG merc, they are a bit contrived - they just pop and bang at any point in time. At least when the 400 goes pop it means you're giving it stick.

Plus £110k base is almost £40k more than an Evora, and I bet the Jag options list is a bit more extensive!

I had a play with the Porsche configurator recently, I specced a C2S to £109K, without PDK or Carbon Ceramics. It's crazy money. I am going to go to a dealer soon and get an up-close look at one so I can comment more accurately on the differences between it and the 400. I only really know (or care about) 911s up to the 997

James Martin (JayEmm)

I think the 997 is a very good alternative for those who want one. Clearly I made my choice and don't regret it for a second. I did have a chat with a chap who wants a 911 so he can tell people he has a Porsche on his drive ?. 

With the mecan, cayenne and panamera I think the 'aspirational' element of the brand is demonised personally.

Anyway, surely the 991 is the one to compare the 400 against? On another note, the 991 is FAR better looking than the 997.

• Gold FFM

The 991 is technically the correct car to compare it with because they're the one available at the same time.

I don't get someone wanting a Porsche for the sake of wanting one, if you want it because of how they drive - great, go get one. But if you're out to impress you're right - they are not the correct car.

Most people lump all 911s together, so you could turn up in a new Turbo and most people couldn't really separate it from a 10-year old C2. But the Evora seems to qualify as an exotic almost everywhere it goes, even if the reality is that it's a cheaper alternative to the Porsche!

James Martin (JayEmm)

Agree but people of a certain age seem to be drawn to Porsche. My dad included. He just always wanted a Porsche.

On a different note. Watching a YouTuber collect his 675Lt... It's an 'event' to get in over the wide sills. This is a feature sooo many complain about with lotus. 

• Gold FFM

Yeah, I don't get that.

Offset pedals and awkward seating position in a Ferrari... "It's the supercar seating position"

In a Lotus, "Awkward seat and strange pedal placement"

If these people ever sat in a Countach their brains would explode.

Which YouTuber? A worrying number of them have 675LTs....

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I think the problem with the original Evora is the pedal box is quite cramped. But to be honest I've had "driving shoes" for years now, as my feet are quite wide. There are a lot of cars (manual Ferraris, air-cooled 911s) that I couldn't drive safely with big trainers on.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I get annoyed by reviewers complaining about the offset pedals. I reckon the pedals are offset at least as much in a 1 series BMW! Only difference is they're offset in the other direction.

• Gold FFM

The 2-series has got a lot of flack from people talking about the weird seat position. I haven't sat in one myself to be able to comment.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Porsche makes cars I always wanted to like, but never really enjoyed that much the times I actually got behind the wheel of one.  I still remember being underwhelmed by the 944 back in the day when the press was gushing over it.  Not that impressed by the Cayman or the Carrera S, especially for the price either.

Just can't see a Porsche in my future at this point.  Just not enough car for the money, new or used

2 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Yeah, I don't get that.

Offset pedals and awkward seating position in a Ferrari... "It's the supercar seating position"

In a Lotus, "Awkward seat and strange pedal placement"

If these people ever sat in a Countach their brains would explode.

Which YouTuber? A worrying number of them have 675LTs....

Mr JWW is the latest to buy one. 

• Gold FFM

Did he not just flog his Speciale because he preferred his 911 and he couldn't resist making some easy money on it?

The last time I checked my YouTube empire has netted me $2.18 - bit of a way to go for me I think!

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Not saying I would chuck one out of my driveway if it found its way there, but having seen a couple the 675LT does look just a little bit "try hard". 

There's such a fine line to tread between cool looks and a bit try-hard, although I can let McLaren off as their aero is mostly functional. 

James Martin (JayEmm)

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

Did he not just flog his Speciale because he preferred his 911 and he couldn't resist making some easy money on it?

The last time I checked my YouTube empire has netted me $2.18 - bit of a way to go for me I think!

He did. Also owns an r8 v10 plus, gt3 and f12... That's some garage. In the right colour I love the macca.

• Gold FFM

There's a green one that goes around Bury St Edmunds. I love the F12, mental car and also usefully smaller than the 599, which is a barge.

James Martin (JayEmm)

So disappointed with the new video James..... I actually got up early this morning to watch it (such is the quality of the information you normally provide). 

However.... almost 10mins on IPS - and nicely split between "Drive" and "Manual"...... but for the 400 I can't see any really time spent in "Manual" at all :(

Ive ordered a 410Sport Auto and have always found it extremely difficult to find any proper reviews of the new auto. I had therefore (possibly unfairly) put a huge amount of expectation at your door. 

Im actually left no better informed as to how the car performs in manual :(

Is that not something you should go and drive tho @anthonyyule?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

@anthonyyule - sorry if you are disappointed. I spent half of each route in auto mode and half in manual, maybe it isn't clear when I switched over to the 400. Everything after the 15 minute mark is manual in the 400. I've put a note in the video to mark it as evidently it needs to be clearer.

When you've got your foot down it does change well but to be honest it's a better box if you let it do its own shifting. Once it's on-the-boil it keeps the engine in the right rev zone and really the only reason to use the paddles is if you think you can do a better job than the machine (you can't). It isn't really a nice enough gearbox that I would want to spend all my time in manual mode. I personally would not order an auto and I definitely wouldn't want a 410 in an auto, but that's not to say you haven't made the right choice for you.

James Martin (JayEmm)

1 hour ago, anthonyyule said:

So disappointed with the new video James..... I actually got up early this morning to watch it (such is the quality of the information you normally provide). 

However.... almost 10mins on IPS - and nicely split between "Drive" and "Manual"...... but for the 400 I can't see any really time spent in "Manual" at all :(

Ive ordered a 410Sport Auto and have always found it extremely difficult to find any proper reviews of the new auto. I had therefore (possibly unfairly) put a huge amount of expectation at your door. 

Im actually left no better informed as to how the car performs in manual :(

I am sure you won't be disappointed with you choice of the Auto on the 410 Sport. I only have the S1 N/A IPS and the IPS works brilliantly, if you are in traffic just leave it in auto but if you are out in the country with some twisty bits put it in sport mode and use the paddles, only use auto in sport mode if you want to relax a bit. In my opinion using the paddles in sport mode would be quicker than using a manual, it's certainly a quicker gear change than I could do on my Elise. I don't particularly like to use the auto side of sport mode but it's there if you want to.

• Like 1

I agree... I only use both the auto mode on the box  and the normal mode on the dpm to let the car getting warm, and sometimes in traffic jams... But the Exige is not made for traffic jams <_< ! 

1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

Is that not something you should go and drive tho @anthonyyule?

Absolutely @CocoPops... And I've done just that - well sort of.

we are limited at Murrays as to their stock availability, but I tested a 400 manual back to back with an Exige Auto.

ive been led to believe that the Exige Auto represents a good half way house between the old ips and the new 400 auto. 

I loved it. Didn't drive it in auto - used the paddles all the time and found it to be great fun and suited my driving style. The test drive wasn't in town so it was purely about driving pleasure and I loved it. The upshift was fine and the downshift was rapid fast accompanied by a hugely addictive auto-blip which sounds amazing! (And this was in the Exige which doesn't have nearly as nice a sounding exhaust as the new 400!)

I made my decision purely on gut and how it made me feel. Ive got great experience with the V6 supercharged drivetrain having owned 2 Evoras and an Exige. My first Evora (pre MY12) and my Exige had average at best gear changes - or on a bad day - just awful. My current Evora doesn't have any such problems (even with the Komotec 430 upgrades it's great)... But I didn't feel that the Evora 400 manual (personally for me) moved things on enough. For sure the shift across the gate is much closer - but as my Evora was MY15 I believe that it had been tweaked and developed so much that the void of difference between it and the new 400 isn't as big as say - a launch model S1 would be.

Anyway - I loved the auto in the Exige and I'm really excited about getting my 410. Having spoken with the factory about it they have also indicated that the auto in the 410 is going to receive further enhancements to make it faster and more sporty (possibly brutal). Again - this sounds great!

so, for me - the disappointment in this video came from the fact that we've all read the quoted figured about how much quicker the new software is and how much cleverer it is. I've read (where I've been fortunate to find one) the auto reviews and in general it's favourable - Autocar and Evo actually don't mind it. I guess I was just looking for more "tech" insight from James as that's what I've become used to. He did speak about the LSD - but this wasn't a video about comparing 400 manual to 400 auto (which is what the last 5 minutes sounds a bit like) - but I wish the tech element had gone deeper into the changes and improvements made.

sorry James - I hate to criticise - watching your videos is a huge source of enjoyment for me. Like I say - you (unwittingly) put a large amount of expectation on this video and I'm still left wanting!

it hasn't left me wanting a 410 auto any less though!

Murrays have an auto now, perhaps convince them to reg it as a dealer now they've sold their carbon grey manual demo?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

@anthonyyule: I still do think the gearchange and behaviour seems to be different in the Exige than in the Evora ... I tested a S1 with IPS, and wasn't impressed, so wasn't thinking about an auto for my Exige, until I tested it in the Exige ! I was sold right away ... And, by watching Jayemm's video, I still think that gearchanges seem to be smoother, and especially that autoblip at downshifts are shyer, which can make sense as it is supposed to be more a GT compared to the Exige . Can anyone (Bibs?) confirm for sure if it is the same soft or not ?

@JayEmm: in my opinion, you didn't "trash" the gearbox enough, so when you're between 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm, it does what it is supposed to do: smooth and mild changes... I understand that, regarding the weather conditions, it was not the best moment !  But when on higher revs, it really come alive ! That's why I always use the box on manual mode ... Then, the gearbox becomes quicker and autoblips at downshifts are mental ! To me, that's the thing this box does well : smooth and without excessive demonstration when driven smoothly, and quite furious when trashed (I assume it's also due to the learning process of the software)...

one point is missing in your film, if I dare: the autobox adds only 6 kgs to the car, which is really uncommon on classic converter gearboxes, and the converter is really well locked, keeping from the infamous slipping converter feeling... Last point : the U660E gearbox is said to be reliable, apart from some solenoids failures known on Lexus cars in the US.

PS: I was laughing at the end of the video at your comments about the british weather:lol: ... Unfortunately, it's not better here since more than 2 months, with serious floods, the worst since 1910 <_< !