Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 15 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

The auto has been there for ages.... And was there when I was there but there was no mention of registering it.

you miss the point cocopops. I'm not having a go.... But I live HOURS from the only Scottish Lotus dealer (so a very similar situation to our US friends). As a result I find myself more reliant than some others when it comes to magazine and online reviews. Oh to be based in the central belt of Scotland or in England - but that's just not an option.

i organised the best test drive that I could at the time - because I had some unanswered questions in my head relating to the auto which I have largely managed to answer. Watching any video or having another test drive Won't change my mind on which gearbox I will have (anyway it's too late because the order is locked down).... But when an opportunity comes along to watch a (very rare) 400 auto video then I watch it very interestedly to see what it's really like (as it should present a noticeable improvement over the Exige which I thought was fine!)

• Gold FFM

@anthonyyule I am trying to get more technical details in the video .I am trying to work with the factory to get as much info as I can but it isn't easy!

@French Frie I would love to give these cars full stick on camera for you all to see but as you say it was not the weather but more to the point I have to be very careful about what I show on camera, for obvious reasons!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

Day at the factory today, a video update will follow for non-TLFers but had a good time. Got shown around the assembly line and also Classic Team Lotus, will post pics from that when I "develop" them!

Car has had a new head unit installed which apparently was the cause of my subwoofer issue (they confirmed it wasn't doing what it should), although they have not yet had to do the same fix they did with mine.

Seat has also been worked on, but given the number of times it's been "fixed" I am going to hold fire to cast judgement.

Also, given the comments about my exhaust video, I did some testing at home yesterday and no matter how gently I do it, my exhaust valve opens at 4,500rpm - not 5,500.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

So my sound system was just as bad, if not worse than before. A quick dive in the menu and Lotus hadnt set it up properly - it had the "Media Expander" on, which is vile. So I set it up per Lotus' instructions, still not happy, then tinkered more and made my own settings to actually get the sub working. Instructions can be followed here:

James Martin (JayEmm)

Any Evora 400 on the line?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Well they've got a very important Essex Blue one to build asap :lol:

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

31 minutes ago, Bibs said:

They're ramping up federal production at the moment I believe.

I certainly hope so.  Was going to stop by my dealer today as a matter of fact to see if Lotus HQ has given them any better ETA on cars long on order for the US.  I THINK we are almost there based on previous estimates, but if I'm honest I'm starting to get antsy at the thought of another possible delay.  I've been perusing other car videos thinking what if I don't wait?...

What are the options???  I've been looking, both new and used, and I can't find an alternative.  F-Types?  Too heavy and too GT oriented.  Want to spend even more for a Porsche 911 that is practically invisible?  Everyone talks about the GT4, which is sold out for several years in most countries and you will never get that car anywhere close to list.  The 911R was sold out before it was introduced.  The GTS is at leave $20,000 more expensive...before you start to add on options.  The Mercedes GT S is also more than $20,000 more expensive.  What is as light as a Lotus, as special as a Lotus and handles like a Lotus?  What could you buy and not regret the minute an Evora passes by on the road?  This is NOT a put down.  I understand how maddening the delays have been because I live in the USA.  Can't imagine having put down a deposit and having to deal with the delays.  But honestly, what would you seriously consider to be an alternative because I can't come up with one.

Edited by Ccd
grammar error
  • Like 1

Its not an apples to apples by any stretch, and given all the qualities that I'm wanting in the 400, there is no comparable option for the money.  I was back to looking at Aston Martin.  Maybe a new Vantage GTS for a 2 year lease, or finding a couple year old Vantage V12S that are now in the 125-135K range.  Your comment about regretting upon seeing the first 400 on the road is valid though, and its what's kept me away from the Aston dealer since May.  While its heavier and you don't get the Lotus handling, the Astons do feel special, and in the V12 guise, they are both rare and fast.

Lotus reliability does not scare me.  Can't say the same thing about AM.  I looked at AM, in particular the Vantage V12 Manual.  A used Vantage V12 would still cost much more than a new Lotus.  There was a review in one of the British mags and they were testing the Vantage against the Evora.  While being much more powerful, the Vantage could not pull away from the Lotus because the Lotus was so much lighter.  But there is no question a Vantage would feel special, but different as the AM Vantage is much more of a GT car.  If you want a GT and can afford it, the AM would be a good choice.  If you want more of a true sports car, I'd wait for the Lotus.

• Gold FFM

I saw quite a few 400s, in various states of undress. I saw one in Exige orange which looked sensational, and a few blue ones as it happens. There are actually two "lines" in the factory @CocoPops, Evoras and "Small cars" they call them. I also saw some 3-11s being put together, but those didn't seem to be built on a line, more by a bloke in the corner.

I asked for some rough numbers, they said they guessed S1 Evora production was "around 2000" and the new car has already sold over 200 units, so if the USA really does have 400 pre-orders I would say that means the new car is doing its job very well.

@99Problems and @Ccd I did enquire about USA production, its happening very soon I was told. In all honesty though, I spoke yesterday to a guy who had a Boxster Spyder deposit down for 9 months before being told he couldn't have one!

All I would say is if you can bear to wait, do. I don't know how it is in the USA, but Aston Martins are everywhere in certain parts of the UK and whilst they are surely great cars - they are nothing like the Lotus if you want a real "driver's" car.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Don't get personal!

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

JayEmm,

My favorite color for the Evora is yellow with the black pack and the black forged wheels.  The orange strike me as a bit too much, at least from the pictures.  As for myself, after researching extensively, I've come down to two options: keep my current ride or get a 400 (probably the roadster).  I've held off modding my car because modding does not add to its value and I also think that modding my car will not make it handle like a Lotus.    I just don't see anything like the Lotus at its price point

• Gold FFM

CCD, you really won't. I personally wouldn't wait for a roadster, but that's me being impatient.

Funnily enough when I was at the factory, the guy there took me out for lunch and his car is an Audi TT - previous gen. I got in it and I was like "oh, that's the seats like in the R8. and the steering wheel. And the dials...." made me fairly glad I hadn't got an R8. I've not sat in a new TT, or new R8, but neither especially appeal. It's a shame they dropped the manual box - the manual on the old R8 was amazing.

I also bumped into someone local yesterday who had a C7 Vette - so I am going to try and organise getting those two cars together. The Vette's obviously quite familiar to Americans, so hopefully it will be a really useful baseline to compare against.

James Martin (JayEmm)

JayEmm, you are right.  The inside of the last gen R8 was not that different from the TT.  The inside of the R8 should have felt much more special given the added cost.  The highlight of the interior was the slot manual shifter which is now gone.  The Vette is polarizing: you either like the way it looks or you don't (I don't).   And the dash feels too much like a video game for my taste.  But in the States, it is THE sports car bargain.  For the price here, nothing can touch it.

As for waiting, I see nothing but upsides.  Despite living in a major car market, the closest Lotus dealer is 3 hours from me.  In time, I'm confident that will change.  I see a lot of little things with the Lotus that are likely to be addressed over time.  And finally, I love targas.  One of the things the Vette got right is the targa on the hardtop version of the car.  To me, it is the best of both worlds.

• Gold FFM

@Ccd the Vette did an awful lot right for me but unfortunately given the size of it, LHD was a bit of a killer. I remember driving on the 101 in California and we had a Vette in each lane on a four-lane highway at one stage. But over here they're probably as rare as a Lotus is in the states.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I found the thing I was looking for to lift my 400's interior. I am a very happy man. More to come on the story behind this, of course.

_DSC0341_sace6.jpg

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

Is that a Banksy?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Cool :thumbsup:

Looking forward to that.

Also looking forward to your factory visit report.... tick tock :lol: