Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 21 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

On 2 August 2016 at 12:51, JayEmm said:

So,

My car was back at Lotus for the whole week last week (ie Mon > Fri) with several issues being tended to

My seat was NOT replaced because the seats they were expecting did not arrive in time. So I've got my old one back, creaks and all.

Given the fact that I have now been without my car for 15% of its ownership and that the number one problem I have had (creaking seat) is still not fixed, I have told Lotus that I will only entertain one more attempt at fixing it. I truly hope that they can.

James

another owner suffering creaking seat :(

Edited by DJW
Deleted - Duplicate post for another thread

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

19 hours ago, auRouge said:

Squeaky seats.. budget speakers..this is turning into a "mini" saga where the Mk1 was the better more expensive car! Therefore there must be some profit! Right buisness strategy.

Sorry to hear of your problems JM, not what we wanted to hear but let's hope the criticism is taken positively and someone uses the information so the production of future 400's is better (and they sort your gen 2 cars out swiftly)

I agree with auRouge on this. Currently it seems the better idea to buy a well sortet Mk1. Half the price anyway...

Side note: When I look at the market in Switzerland (www.autoscout24.ch) there are some low milage 2012 cars for less than £38T. 
Wonder why there is so much price different in the local markets..

For the few who know the difference

• Gold FFM

Another odd issue worth mentioning, no idea if others have experienced it, my wheel bolts have gone all furry and strange. They will be replaced by Lotus.

Incidentally, new Evoras no longer have a locking wheel nut!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Yep, I was told that too. No lockers.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

25 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Yep, I was told that too. No lockers.

I would view that as a great upgrade. Getting rid of mine as a pita.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I agree @C8RKH - they apologised but I told them not to worry, they are the first thing most owners misplace. If it was a Golf with flash wheels I'd be concerned, but I don't think our wheels will fit much else so no real worries.

I'm curious as to why mine went so cack so quickly.

I did get asked the comedy question "Do you use wheel cleaner".... "errr... yeah.... to clean the wheels"

James Martin (JayEmm)

Some of the good wheel cleaning solutions work well because they are very corrosive and get brake pad dust off very effectively but need washing off thoroughly or they continue to 'eat into' what you are trying to clean...  washed my wheels off with a hose on the front lawn and it killed the grass - then I read the info leaflet!

On the 'Creaking seats' .. - Topic on the Lotus Elan Central website (for M100 Elans) about setting up suspension correctly mentioned car is designed for 75kg driver (about 113/4 stone) and suspension should be set up with 75kg ballast on driver's seat ... just wondering if Evora seats and mounting has been designed for similar weight and ...   uhmn  ...:devil:

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

• Gold FFM

@phil flash I am extremely careful with cleaning the wheels, I am aware of the properties of these chemicals. In fact I usually use a diluted version for general cleaning duties. The same stuff I've been using to clean every other car I've ever owned and it's never happened!

Regarding seats, whilst I can appreciate they're going for a "target" weight, I don't think there's any excuse for saying if you're over 75KG they'll make a racket. As demonstrated in the dedicated thread it's possible to get them to creak without a driver in them if you're unlucky!

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 hours ago, phil flash said:

On the 'Creaking seats' .. - Topic on the Lotus Elan Central website (for M100 Elans) about setting up suspension correctly mentioned car is designed for 75kg driver (about 113/4 stone) and suspension should be set up with 75kg ballast on driver's seat ... just wondering if Evora seats and mounting has been designed for similar weight and ...   uhmn  ...:devil:

Well based on this ^^^ I should be ok to get my left leg and buttock on the seat. God only knows where the rest of me will go!

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

From last weekend's Fast Car Festival at Donington. A young lad wanted to know how loud the 911 was next to me. So I couldn't help but give him a reference for comparison :)

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I believe those already are LED. Although I have had five people so far tell me I have a reversing light broken!

James Martin (JayEmm)

Lol ^^^

First thing my wife said to me when I brought my Evora home ;)

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I've mentioned a few times a creaking noise. I have had difficulty recording it previously, today I got it loud and clear.

I  greeted with this every time I am on left lock. Lotus have already tried and failed once to fix it. 

Suggestions for the cause on a postcard. And before you ask, the wheel Wells have both been fully inspected for debris

James Martin (JayEmm)

Clearly it's rotational, sounds like the old days where you put a playing card on your tyre of your bmx.

Could be Caliper scraping? Or similar?

Or a high spot in one of the wheel spoke insides?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM

Doesn't do it in a straight line which would seem to me to rule out those. Also Lotus had both wheels off so you would expect or hope they might have spotted that!

James Martin (JayEmm)

On full lock I wonder if the geometry/weight shift changes, moves wheel higher in arch perhaps?

Sounds like the tyre tread catching on the wheel arch liner somewhere. It's making more than one knock per wheel rotation. Probably nothing to see or hear when the car is jacked up and the suspension is in droop, it'll only be rubbing when the weight of the car is on it.

It's happening at very low speed, you could get someone to walk alongside and see if you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from more accurately. They'll probably be able to see clearly into the wheel well on full lock and see what it is that's causing it, just tell them not to stick their fingers in!!

Edited by TheKevlarKid

• Gold FFM

Sounds to me very like a knackered left hand CV joint. I have heard that very same noise with Scoobs that had been driven really hard. Usually an issue you will get with FWD or AWD cars; so its a little surprising to hear it in a RWD car. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c1nxR7aq1o

Or far more unlikely, given the age of your car, the front left wheel bearing.

• Gold FFM

Seems it has now started doing it on right lock aswell.

The car will also do it in fast left-hand bends with not that much lock applied.

I have looked and looked to see where the car might be rubbing on the arch liner but just not seeing it.

@blindside good shout on the CV joint. That does sound quite like my issue. Rather worrying to think this can develop in less than two months and 3,000-4,000 miles (car's been doing it for a while)

James Martin (JayEmm)