Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 7 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

:lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Colin G said:

I think your location was maybe just skewing my perception Stu, nice to see you weren't orange! :thumbup:

It's amazing what can be done with a skilled colourist and a voice-over artist ;)

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

6 hours ago, JayEmm said:

I feel cheeky enough asking people to drive their cars, I think they may draw the line if I ask to borrow their children! @Gm77 is probably the expert on kids and 400s though

@Ccd

If you want to borrow the children James, you need only ask. Although, I'm not sure those lovely yellow painted seat backs of yours will look as pristine afterwards!?

4 hours ago, JayEmm said:

I would LOVE to do so, although I am reasonably certain our lord and saviour @Bibs has probably tried this already. The factory, unfortunately, seem to not appreciate a good thing when they see it.

Sadly not, but hopefully things will change one day.

If you can get enough traction on youtube then perhaps it's worth trying again at some stage, what with your professional background and Bibs contacts.

• Gold FFM

My dealings with large car companies before has never ended well, sadly. They tend to expect Hollywood standards for no money, or want something so unbelievably anodyne they might as well just film it on a bloody iPhone and be done with it. 

What's most frustrating is with the 400 they have a car that is particularly film-friendly (ie. it makes an awesome noise). Selling handling on film is basically impossible.

James Martin (JayEmm)

12 hours ago, Matt123 said:

From your brief 400 drive, how did the straight line acceleration compare to the two 991s? 

In fairness I had the Evora on a gorgeous day a good road windows down and there are faster cars than the Evora obviously but it really got the pulse racing!

In comparison to the 911 it might of been faster not sure if I'm honest but the porsche wasn't as exciting that's for sure and I had the sports exhaust on the Carrera s (cab) but the Porsche just felt more like an Audi (love audis) so no drama but maybe the 400 would lose it if I was looking/using one on a weekly basis.

• Gold FFM

I am not familiar with 991s (ie not driven one) but in 996/997 land you would need a turbo or a GT3/2 to make any sort of gains on an Evora over most roads. On a track it is different but that's what the Exige is for.

The steering in the Evora actually reminds me of the old 911 GT3s - light but masses of feedback. But it does it with a suspension most sporty Porsches can only dream of. My 996 C2 was punishingly hard on the "sports" suspension.

As @BP81 alludes to, the key really is driver involvement and excitement. That's an area the 400 is off the chart!

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Here are the next two video updates. These were actually filmed a while ago, but due to the way I've been releasing videos these ones I have only just "published".

The first one is basically a summary of my car history and my journey to 400 ownership. It's basically a heavily condensed version of the test drive uber-thread I started. Interestingly, I didn't think this one would go down too well as it's 20 minutes of talking but it's the single video which has had the most user interaction.

This next one was filmed just after my running in service and was something of an "update vid". The car is actually back at SMC right now having a few things tended to and I will of course update on that when I have something.

I have been extremely grateful for the feedback here and elsewhere. Some of my upcoming videos include:

Esprit V8 feature, courtesy of @BP81

Evora 400 Auto Drive, courtesy of Bell & Colvill

More comparisons with machinery from other marques

A Porsche-holics self-help video

"Living with an Evora"

And more owner interviews of all Lotus cars - should be getting @Gm77 and @Gashead1105 soon. Anyone else who wants to volunteer is more than welcome! What's Stuart's username?

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

castle coombe 13th sept.....

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....

@JayEmm the exige has just gone in to H111 to have some noises investigated. Hopefully done by Saturday but will let you know.

@Gm77 hope your next appearance on camera goes better than the @Bibs one!!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Here is a text update for you guys on my car, there will be a video saying this but here it is for you all in condensed form.

The car is back at Stratton and has been since Monday, given to them with a list of issues to solve or advise on. Here were my problems:

1. Subwoofer - didn't seem to be working

2. Seat - creaks like a bastard when going round a right-hand bend, also moves quite a bit

3. Buttons on dash not all level (sport and race at totally different angles)

4. Gear lever started not centering itself when you moved it between 5 and 6 (but returned fine from 1/2)

5. Engine start light blinds you at night and distracts

----------

Unfortunately, after three days (collecting the car tomorrow) I haven't gotten too far. The list of answers so far are:

1. The subwoofer is "really quiet sir" and "you need to listen to a certain type of music to hear it". I appreciate they're being diplomatic and what they are basically telling me is the thing is crap. So bad in fact that Lotus apparently no longer bother fitting them.

2. Seat does have a lot of movement in it, certain bolts are loose and can't be tightened enough. Factory are supplying washers to deal with this. Apparently my car is not the only one with the issue.

3. Factory going to get back to us on this one. I know it's my OCD but it really shouldn't even be a problem.

4. One of the return springs in my gear selector has "gone", where it has gone I don't know but the whole transmission tunnel may have to be pulled apart.

5. "Nothing we can do about that one". I think something should be done, I think it's borderline dangerous because your hand obscures it in a straight line (hands at 9 and 3) so you constantly get distracted by it when cornering.

-------

Of course, car is still brilliant and I'd much rather have a brilliant handling, looking and sounding car with slightly annoying buttons and seats than a car with a perfect interior but no soul. The only thing really winding me up at the moment is the amount of time I am spending without the car, especially as I don't know of a local Lotus dealer which has a "proper" courtesy car (ie. one with a Lotus badge on the front!)

James Martin (JayEmm)

11 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

So bad in fact that Lotus apparently no longer bother fitting them

Ah, that's them getting back in touch with their Colin side - adding lightness there! ;)

It's a shame these "little" problems were not caught in the design, shakedown and pre delivery inspection phases.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Yes, in many ways Lotus remind me of Sony. I've got one of their cameras which cost more than my 400. It's the finest piece of electronic work you'll ever see and despite it being five years old, it's still one of the most advanced digital cinematography cameras on the planet. But I have a set of their lenses, and they cannot make a lens cap that stays on for more than two seconds.

Maybe I just have some weird OCD, but I cannot imagine how this ever got the "OK" from someone. I saw it the moment I first sat in the car.

instrumentdb86.jpg

James Martin (JayEmm)

That's OCD, look fine to me!  :wacko:

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

My missus is OCD, and even she thinks you're being weird

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....

• Gold FFM

instrumentdf40.jpg

It's the sport and race buttons. Sport's tilting down (but only ever so slightly), race is definitely tilting up. And the door lock button is on the piss. The only two on correct are the left heated seat button and the warning triangle button.

I don't know why but it's really doing my nut. Maybe this is why MJK hid all of the S1 buttons ;)

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

instrumentdf40.jpg

It's the sport and race buttons. Sport's tilting down, race is definitely tilting up. And the door lock button is on the piss. The only two on correct are the left heated seat button and the warning triangle button.

I don't know why but it's really doing my nut. Maybe this is why MJK hid all of the S1 buttons ;)

That's hilarious, you haven't even spotted the real problem. :lol:

It's an OOdi driver Colin, because it's all about "Me Me"

The small print.