Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Changing to Polycarbonate? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Changing to Polycarbonate?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can anyone confirm the actual (even if rough) weight of the rear glass in the tail gate?

Looks as though i've found a source who could provide a replacement in polycarbonate, very reputable company, what we're trying to ascertain is what would be the main weight saving benefit. For example if its only 3Kg changing from glass to poly then they themselves would not advise, but if its 10Kg saving then that slightly makes the prospect quite attractive and one which could help justify them making the part.

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

www.alias23.com

no idea im afraid but this could be interesting

You could even have a clear louvered panel much like a Ferrari F40, hopefully with a bit of extra clearance so we can run a charge cooled TVS1900 as soon as SSC release the kit.

Edited by Crouchy
spelling

the weight saving with the Sport 350 louvered pastic thing is supposed to be 3 kg (http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-exige-sport-350/), so I assume a polycarb rear panel may save one more kg maximum, both parts being plastic sourced ...

Would it even really be worth it, Ive got the glass fitted and its lush being able to see out the back, compared to the S2 exige.

Plus,saving just 3kg, Im better off myself going on a diet for a month to lose more kg

• Like 1

3kg quite high up in terms of CoG would make more difference than you having a few large shits to lose weight Mark :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

2 hours ago, Crouchy said:

I dont think I could justify the outlay to save 3KG.

Snap.

Unless your able to drop 50-100kg with lightweight parts and in a race series, I don't see the point for a road / odd track day toy.

Stripping my old VX220 was my next step but never had the heart to do it fully.. so upgraded to the v6 lol 

Lee.... before each track day, its like king kongs 1st dump of the day with me... :P

Cost for a poly rear windscreen likely to be £350-550 based on current design thinking. As in straight swap in poly no louvers at this point.

However fair to say for a 3kg saving we don't feel it would be justified. Even though the press suggest the 350 shed 3kg by using louved plastic many peeps still feel the glass is a lot heavier than quoted and I feel like I agree.

Just need confirmation may try and figure out a way to ask a windscreen repair company to check weight based on a replacement request...

As per my previous post 10kg saving or in that region then it would be bloody worth it!

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

I don't have my Exige to hand, but who fancies measuring up their rear screen dimensions for a rough mass check (using Saint-Gobain Sekurit's density value for tempered auto glass of 2500kg /cubic meter)? Assuming 3mm thickness unless we know better?

What's that, Imran, you volunteer?! Very kind of you :)

1 hour ago, Arun_D said:

I don't have my Exige to hand, but who fancies measuring up their rear screen dimensions for a rough mass check (using Saint-Gobain Sekurit's density value for tempered auto glass of 2500kg /cubic meter)? Assuming 3mm thickness unless we know better?

What's that, Imran, you volunteer?! Very kind of you :)

I'm in London away from home but back tomorrow and would happily measure up sounds like a good idea Arun!

www.alias23.com

I could be interested but actually want the louvres as additional cooling is always going to be of benefit.

Is nobody able to make a straight copy of the S350 panel. Il admit I wouldn't know where to start with it.

I bet the wing is a significant contributor to weight on the boot lid too. If I had to guess I would imagine the whole boot lid complete with wing would be 10-12kg.

I guess HK Fever or CK Lim will be producing Carbon Fibre copies at some point.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

16 hours ago, alias23 said:

As per my previous post 10kg saving or in that region then it would be bloody worth it!

so, I'd rather go the lithium ion battery route, if not already fitted :whistle: ! about £500 with trickle charger  : http://www.braillebattery.co.uk/index.php/braille/product_batteries/gu1r_combo

I'll then even consider to relocate it in the engine bay, to save some space in the boot...

6 hours ago, RedViper said:

I could be interested but actually want the louvres as additional cooling is always going to be of benefit.

Is nobody able to make a straight copy of the S350 panel. Il admit I wouldn't know where to start with it.

I bet the wing is a significant contributor to weight on the boot lid too. If I had to guess I would imagine the whole boot lid complete with wing would be 10-12kg.

If someone could get me the louvred panel I can make a mould

5 hours ago, French Frie said:

so, I'd rather go the lithium ion battery route, if not already fitted :whistle: ! about £500 with trickle charger  : http://www.braillebattery.co.uk/index.php/braille/product_batteries/gu1r_combo

I'll then even consider to relocate it in the engine bay, to save some space in the boot...

That Braille is actually on my list of next additions to the car along with some extra aero ;)

www.alias23.com

27 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

Rear window is approx 750mm x 650mm, and quite thin, I'd guess about 3mm.

Dave

That puts it about 3.65 kg. sounds about right with weight saving of 3kg and louvred panel weighing half a kilo 

Edited by RedViper

If someone made a replica louvred panel for £300-£400 I think it would be worth it. any more and I would agree with Imran. I also enjoy the actual process of doing a car job as much as the finished results too.. maybe I should learn to play golf