Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear brake calliper pins loose - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear brake calliper pins loose

Preparing to pull the engine and box, and found the cause of the click noise when pulling away. The clearance between the rear calliper pins and the calliper bracket are too large and there is movement sufficient to allow the click noise. 

Is this a common issue? Pin wear or carrier wear?

Do your pins have the rubber sleeve on them, Charles?

I've queried their purpose in an earlier thread, but got no answer. Maybe this is the reason?

(rear calipers sliding pins into the calipers body, or am I misunderstanding the contact surfaces you're talking about)?

New pins are available and cheap, so I'd  try them.   However 30 years of use will have taken its toll on both parts....  On the plus side, don't think it will be an MOT issue unless they are are completely FUBAR  

I would assume the pin with the rubber sleeve is to damp down some kind of unwelcome oscillation, such as vibration or squealing. 

• Like 1

Better slightly loose than seized solid...(!) That way you end up wearing one pad....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'd assumed it was the pads loose in the caliper so a bit of a surprise to discover it was the sliding pins in the carrier. The rubber seals are present and intact and keep the grit out fine.

Edited by Wilf

Hi Charles, 

one pin on each calipers has a sleeve as well as the boot. Was just wondering if yours has, your post above seems more about the boots, but that's probably me misunderstanding.

For photo, check out SJ part no SJ079J0005

dave

5 hours ago, molemot said:

Better slightly loose than seized solid...(!) That way you end up wearing one pad....

Yes and this situation can eventually cause one pad to fall out of the caliper. Dont ask me how I know...

Luckily there is enough travel on the piston to stop the car with the caliper directly on the disc but it really grinds the caliper away quickly!