Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coupe - Roadster thoughts - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coupe - Roadster thoughts

Fatsterjack

1 minute ago, LotusPilot said:

Okay.  Being factual, you'll be able to produce definitive evidence to support your statement...

Anyhow, individual choices are what matters - be it Coupe or Roadster, S or 350 - or something else entirely.  It's comforting to know that ticking all the boxes apparently makes a Roadster a thing of even greater rarity - amongst the finest cars built in Norfolk.

...whats with the attitude?

Tom.  I'm not the one quoting "facts" - or suggesting that one model is vastly superior or inferior to another.

Equally, I don't get how you view my supporting/promoting  individual choice - or my praising Lotus' fabulous cars from Norfolk - is a display of "attitude".

You're clearly happy with your choices - as I am with mine.

All - I graciously withdraw from further contribution to this conversation.

Edited by LotusPilot

1 minute ago, LotusPilot said:

Tom.  I'm not the one quoting "facts" - or suggesting that one model is vastly superior or inferior to another.

Equally, I don't get how you view my supporting/promoting  individual choice - or my praising Lotus' fabulous cars from Norfolk - is a display of "attitude".

You're clearly happy with your choices - as I am with mine.

All - I graciously withdraw from further comment conversation.

So tempted to 'like' that post. 

The attitude was in relation to your sarky response to my experiences. I've test driven enough V6s out there to notice a vast different between the specs that seem to be available on the second hand market. I do apologise if you feel put out by me not keeping an accurate log of all registrations, dates, and times of test drives - i didn't expect to be pulled up by someone who's defensive of the model they purchased. At no point did I say the roadster is inferior, or a worse model. I merely said I'd choose the coupe as they seem to be better spec'd for the most part, and you get far more for you pound. If you feel thats not the case, then fantastic. Forums are full of different opinions. 

OP - get yourself to a dealer and have a try in both. We can blurb all we like about our perceived differences, pros, cons, but in the end, only you will realistically see (or not see in some cases) a different between the models and packs. Id definitely recommend Jamie at Bell and Colvill - you won't find more of a Lotus enthusiast! 

Both Roadster and Coupe are equally fantastic but choosing one over the other comes down to your own personal preference.

Watch

Then Watch

Then decide what you want to do with your car, how much you will be driving it and try to envisage what you would like to see when you open your garage door.

The best decision will be your own :)

9 hours ago, Fatsterjack said:

"At the first sign of drizzle though, I would turn everything back on!"

Wise words I don't doubt!  Talking of precipitation....  What are the Trofeo tyres fitted to some cars like in the wet?  Just for normal (sensible) road use?

I can only give feedback on the original Trofeo's and not the newer 'R' versions. 

Night and Day improvement in grip in dry vs Corsa. Only used them on track in the wet, once when it was damp and they performed okay, another time when the sky opened up and it was a complete down poor (wipers on full blast etc..) and it wasn't nice. 

If you're doing a few track days a year you'd like the Trofeo's and assuming you drive normally on the road even in the wet I think you'd be okay. Unsure if many roadsters come with the Trofeo's so you may find you have these are a future purchase if you buy second hand.

www.alias23.com

*puts hand up* I've got a fully optioned up (with the exception of two-part brakes) roadster. *puts hand down*

:sofa:

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

I actually prefer the look of my roadster with the hardtop on - seems to change the dynamics considerably, looks wise.

My next Exige will more than likely be a coupe - roof off in these cars doesn't make for a pleasant drive mostly - the buffeting is pretty irksome at anything above 50mph, imo.

• Like 2

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

11 hours ago, FredP said:

are you sure? It'd be great info... as I love the roadster but not the 350 rear wing and engine cover at all... so was disappointed by the 350 roadster updates really

The slatted engine cover is a weight saving change, not an aero one. That you get on both flavours. I wasn't sure about it until I saw it in real life, but it's grown on me now. If you really can't be doing with it, then you've got a no sale there unless you can arrange a swap with Lotus or an existing glass cover owner.

I see... yep, the slatted cover looks claustrophobic and makes the interior darker, a bit irrelevant for a roadster I believe

Edited by FredP

(ex) Elise S1 (VIN 357) LHD

Well I've decided I'll most likely go for the coupe (having now driven one) and despite the threat of serious harm above ? I'll probably get a soft top conversion.

I've got a particular car in mind which has Trofeo tyres, so good to hear they should be ok in the wet on the road.

Thanks again for the continued input, all helpful.

FJ

• Like 2

Trofeo tyres are awesome in the dry but require caution when it's really wet. This is mostly down to the car being light and having relatively wide tyres (esp at the rear) but also because Trofeos start with something like 4mm if tread depth. I still rate them in the wet based on a trackday at Donington Park but when it really began to chuck it down they really started to started to struggle. Can't say for sure how much better Corsas would have been in those conditions but they couldn't have been any worse!

I might have to review my public flogging policy, there are now so many perpetrators it would wear me out! ;)

Exciting times, with plenty of roof-off weather still to come! :thumbup:

• Like 1

The Corsa's are a pretty good tire when it comes to rain (for a Sport oriented tire) - I had them on on a rainy afternoon in Spa and really was surprised positively.

Changed to the Trofeos two weeks ago and must say, while they are great in the dry, I fully agree with Pits, you have to be much more careful in the rain than with the Corsa. For me this is not an issue - I very rarely drive in the rain with the Exige - but if this is going to happen more regularly for you, I'd stay away from them and maybe from a track oriented Semi in general.

1 hour ago, NW76 said:

The Corsa's are a pretty good tire when it comes to rain (for a Sport oriented tire) - I had them on on a rainy afternoon in Spa and really was surprised positively.

Changed to the Trofeos two weeks ago and must say, while they are great in the dry, I fully agree with Pits, you have to be much more careful in the rain than with the Corsa. For me this is not an issue - I very rarely drive in the rain with the Exige - but if this is going to happen more regularly for you, I'd stay away from them and maybe from a track oriented Semi in general.

Did you switch over to R or the standard Trofeo? (Are they producing still both versions?)

My experience is, that the standard Trofeo was quiet okay in rain, the R is like an old Michelin Cup, it's like driving on a wet floor until you got some temperature into the the tyre.

The R - the regular Trofeo is not available anymore. For wet Road use I think they are a bad joice as you wont be able to bring them to Temp all the time. 

Have not driven them on track yet. But in the dry on the road they are great ... I suppose they will exceptional on track.

The Corsa's werent my choice when I bought the car - just loved the car so much that I ignored the Corsa. They were much better than expected on track imho.

4 hours ago, Fatsterjack said:

Well after very short deliberation I've put a deposit down on an LF1. 

Will stick with the Trofeos to start with and see how I get on with them.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

FJ

Is it my old car that Williams are selling ?

27 minutes ago, Fortis said:

Is it my old car that Williams are selling ?

Not that one, no, although I was tempted to go and have a quick look when I was down that way.  I've gone for no. 10 at Westover in Poole.

2 hours ago, Fatsterjack said:

Not that one, no, although I was tempted to go and have a quick look when I was down that way.  I've gone for no. 10 at Westover in Poole.

Looks a nice car, I am sure you will enjoy the LF1 B-)