Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Making new Instrument Mask - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Making new Instrument Mask

I've started making a new instrument mask, my old one is completely shot from the Aussie sun.

The new one is made from 3 layers of black acrylic, laser cut. The top layer will be ABS with the correct texture, I have ordered it but I had to order a full sheet that could do probably 30 masks, I won't get this for a few days..

I have the gauges recessed correctly, and the indicator lights all now perfectly aligned.

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

• Like 2

Good job, looks nice and a lot less flimsy!

I'm sure you'll find some interested owners for the 49 left:)

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Good work! Definitely interested in acquiring one of the 49 left!

Looks like it's exactly the same part on the S2?

Someone else had these 3D printed, would be interesting to compare both approaches:

Dave,

Nice job !  I bought one of the 3D Printed repros for my federal S2 and was not satisfied.  Very flimsy (like rice paper) with virtually no structure to it and no texture on the face so it is not suitable (at least not for me).  If you're going to be offering these to others please reserve one for me.

Thx,

Lou R 

Be interesting to hear how easy your mask is to fit. The one benefit of the original is it's flexibility allowing it fit into an unevenly shapes orifice.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I'd be happy to make more up, as I now have the jig. It ends up being 4 layers of 3mm material so it is very stiff. I was concerned about the fit as each one was hand fitted originally. On mine this meant the holes do not match up perfectly, I simply redrilled holes in the wooden corners once I had it fitted in the right spot and it worked out great.

I was going to make all the LED lights myself, but there are good off the shelf led globe replacements for everything. Unfortunately I had already cut off some of the rear tube of the warning light indicators so I will have to put my own LEDs into them now. I did find you can get the T7 LED bulbs for anyone else wanting to upgrade.

The old bulbs create a lot of heat in the back of the binnacle which is best avoided.

My wiring stiff and this makes it hard to get the left and right switch panels in and causes them to pop out. I have siliconed the switch housings into the panels now so that should be better. I also pulled out the fibre optics and will fit superbright white 3mm leds into the optic housings.

Then replace any particularly crispy wires for new sexy flexible ones and fit a connector.

I'll make up some more masks and if people are happy with them I'll work out what they are costing me and make them available if wanted.

Dave

BTW I glued bits of wood in the old mounting holes in the binnacle as the holes had got so big had lost any grip on the screws.

Agree regarding silicon on the switches to keep them in place. BTW you can easily strip the switches down and give them a clean to get rid of the corrosion. My fog switch was so corroded it had stopped working. If you do this do it over a tray first time as there are some small parts that are easy to loose.

cheers

C43

This looks so much better than the original. One of the worst things Lotus ever did was buy a vacuum-forming machine which they used for all kinds of cheap looking parts.

Wont fit my 82 Turbo though as its a different layout, then there are the 2 side pieces also.

A year ago, I made me a new instrument mask

The original plastic one was torn on one side. Some gauges were rattling a bit .

I decided to use 8mm thick trespa ( HPL) This is a very firm material that endures all weather and temperatures .It is used as a construction finishing material outdoors. It is heavy, but that doesn't matter because most of the panel are holes. It is quite hard to machine. I used a table saw and a router to make the dash.

The nice thing is that the surface of the trespa has the same structure as the original plastic.

I used the same material (6mm) some months ago to construct al new bootpanels to replace the old flimsy multiplex ones

After constructing, I finished the dash with black automotive 3 component (color/thinner/hardener) paint and my airbrushpistol.

It took me quite some time.

Starting with all wiring out (numbering and noting things down.

old and the start of the new:

IMG_20150425_184857_zps9ftyks0k.jpg

finished and painted, ready to install and rewire.

It is much stronger,stiffer and more durable then the plastic original

IMG_20150501_150409_zpshsrprjns.jpg

And ready to roll again:

IMG_20150501_181146_zpsownb5otr.jpg

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

I have Just had them remade in original material and grain but also 2mm thicker so they wont crack up easily. I have also had all the Vac formed plastic parts on an Esprit remade including new front bumpers.

Will put them up in the parts bit when I have some time

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Matt, I would be interested in triangles for the A pillars.

SJ Sportscars sell repros of these but they are not very good (which they admitted when I phoned them) as they are made of fibreglass and are too thick and dont fit properly.  They said they planned to make them as per originals but if you have already done this they might take some off you for sale I would think. I was about to contact them again as I wanted them to not drill the two mounting holes in them. The plastic round plugs which the factory used originally spoil the look so I would rather fit them with glue or double sided tape without the plugs.

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2016 at 14:38, Matt-watts said:

I have Just had them remade in original material and grain but also 2mm thicker so they wont crack up easily. I have also had all the Vac formed plastic parts on an Esprit remade including new front bumpers.

Will put them up in the parts bit when I have some time

Matt

@Matt-watts

I know this was a while ago, but can you still get these vac parts?

:) 

It's getting there......

• 4 years later...