Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 - Creaking drivers seat - how many waiting for fix ?? - Page 9 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 - Creaking drivers seat - how many waiting for fix ??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 01/11/2016 at 08:03, Colin P said:

I was wondering what the current position is on this (ie how many are actually being fixed), so summary from what I can get on here. Would be interesting if we could keep this updated:

DJW - Both seats fixed  at Silverstone 

@CocoPops - awaiting seat frames

@mcx - awaiting seat frame

@Colin P - 1 failed fix awaiting seat frames (so that's 3 for Hofmanns)

@JayEmm - he's special! (multitude of fixes, but still creaking)

@waofner - ? 

@Andrew C - ?

@booboo93 - ?

Colin G - Fixed 

Neal H - both seats fixed at Silverstone 

@Alfo86 - awaiing frames

@fesuvious - ?

@blindside - ?

@IanPops - ?

@Big Ed - ?

@Peegee355 - ?

@Evora54 - ?

Updated. 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

And out of interest @DJW what was the fix applied to yours to get the "fixed" status?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

New seat frames at bottom. Old ones only have 1 strut between the runners, at one end.   New ones have struts at each end , making it much more rigid.  Not one creak in over 1k miles so far :)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 01/11/2016 at 08:03, Colin P said:

I was wondering what the current position is on this (ie how many are actually being fixed), so summary from what I can get on here. Would be interesting if we could keep this updated:

@CocoPops - awaiting seat frames

@mcx - awaiting seat frame

@Colin P - 1 failed fix awaiting seat frames (so that's 3 for Hofmanns)

@JayEmm - he's special! (multitude of fixes, but still creaking)

@waofner - ? 

@Andrew C - ?

@booboo93 - ?

Colin G - Fixed 

@Alfo86 - awaiing frames

@fesuvious - ?

@blindside - ?

@IanPops - ?

@Big Ed - ?

Peegee355 - fixed at Silverstone 

@Evora54 - ?

Updated. 

Edited 3 hours ago by DJW

The change in the seat was reportedly for combined cost and weight savings. Given the cost of this issue to Lotus and the weight gain that must result from adding parts to cure the creaking I wonder if Lotus now regret the change.

• Gold FFM

The official reason I understood it was also the ability to have airbags in the sides, to comply with federal regulations.

I would love to try Sparco's own version of the seat and see how different it is. You would not be happy with these seats at two grand each

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Be interesting to try the 410 seats.  Ultimately I would like to sit lower in the car ; just doesn't feel right being sat so high in a sports car. 

Edited by DJW

• Gold FFM

The 410 you do sit much lower, there's simply less seat to go around.

The Sparcos have a little space underneath them for passenger feet, which the recaros didn't. I feel this is an issue, because it means the cushion is less - so less comfy, and the seat is effectively a shade higher.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Have to disagree re space under sparcos.   Just been out to car and if I put hand flat on carpet behind the seat, I can only just squeeze my fingers under the seat, so approx 15mm space...its that tight to the plastic seat base. 

Only other option is to look to raise the front of seat.  Not only will that support legs better,  but means you need to move seat slightly closer to pedals because of bent legs, which in turn means leaning upright part of seat backwards , to get right arm length to steering wheel; which in turn makes your eyeline lower in the car. 

Comcept was used in the Elise / Exige http://www.sector111.com/parts/track/interior/downlow_seat_rails.cfm 

I know the front of seat has height adjustment , so will have a play with that later next week and report back. 

i am also awaiting new seat frames; used the time to paint the rear spoiler center section matching the body colour.

i am sorry to read that some of you lost their enthusiasm for the evora over the quality issues.

Pics of spoiler mod?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

James - I have to say that in my experience Lotus is in a different league of customer service. I appreciate their volumes and buying likely cause delays, but I'd stick with it. You've previously mentioned Neil and I do believe he does everything he possibly can within the realms of the possible based on my experience with him. 

I off-loaded my F-Type after having an experience with JLR that could only be described as a story you couldn't make up. I reached a point of no return where any passion for the brand just died. Take a look at their Forums, and you'll see it not a small minority, but a sizeable majority. I was glad to see that LR came absolute bottom in the JD Power results - no surprise to me.  And in my experience, Porsche was only moderately better, BMW has got steadily worse as their volumes have increased and Audi dealers define the word 'arrogant.' 

Its tough to be looked after by any brand properly today. Lotus is definitely better than most IMOP and they do understand the enthusiast customer and their expectations. I can't actually think of another brand that does? Morgan? McLaren? Tesla?

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Neil is one of my favourite people in the world and without his tireless efforts my enthusiasm would have waned long, long ago.

I've not previously owned a new car but I've had mixed experiences with different dealerships when it comes to big brands. The problem with Lotus I guess is that if I don't like how my local BMW dealer is treating me, there's always another one about 30 minutes away from them.

Also, call me old fashioned but I think a totally FOC courtesy car should be a pre-requisite of being a main dealer...

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Update from my side as well now: car has been moved to my Lotus Service Partner (actually the only one in Austria). 

They will re-check the warranty coverage with Lotus (I hope that this will be a non-event) and will then hopefully exchange the seat frames as well... 

will give an update as soon as I will get back the car after the Winter season!

cheers, Hymo

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 11/28/2016 at 08:02, JayEmm said:

Also, call me old fashioned but I think a totally FOC courtesy car should be a pre-requisite of being a main dealer...

I used to work at one of two main Holden dealers here where I live. No FOC courtesy cars there. You wanted one while your car was being serviced? You paid for it like a hire car.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Perhaps I have been spoiled but if I take my POS Van to be serviced I get one to drive around in for free if I need it.

As someone who has normally bought older cars, I usually see a courtesy car as one of the few benefits of going to a main dealer.

Anyway, I am glad to see the seat issue is being solved for most people

James Martin (JayEmm)

• 1 month later...

CocoPops - awaiting seat frames

mcx - awaiting seat frame

Colin P - Fixed at Hofmanns 2 new seat frames

JayEmm - he's special! (multitude of fixes, but still creaking)

waofner - awaiting seat frames

Andrew C - ?

booboo93 - ?

Colin G - Fixed 

Alfo86 - awaiting frames

fesuvious - Fixed

blindside - ?

IanPops - ?

Big Ed - ?

Peegee355 - fixed at Silverstone 

Evora54 - ?

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Mine has been fixed, and has had few other bits done.

HVAC panel, seal, couple other bits.

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....