Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
KomoTec EX430 or EX460 - Page 4 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

KomoTec EX430 or EX460

Not sure I would want to add any weight to the Exige. Sounds like the TSV 1900 supercharger is a better option - are there any downsides?

And the gearbox - is it ok with the power? How are you suggesting beefing it up?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As you've seen, Dave from Hangar 111 has suggested that the it might not reduce inlet temps as much as claimed so that could be a significant downside if that is the case. I know the tuners are quick to say the DPM is fine with higher power but I'm not convinced. For me that would be one of the main reasons for waiting to see what the factory come up with.

I was suggesting that Lotus beef up the gearbox! There must be a way of fitting stronger internals or looking at keeping it cooler. In fact Lotus have beefed up the E400 gearbox to some extent already. I know you can fit stronger cogs to the Caterham 6 speed gearbox which is currently experiencing similar problems in my race car which is producing far more power than was originally intended for the gearbox.

Something like this for the V6 would be popular if not essential for higher outputs:

http://www.hangar111.com/shop/lotus-2-eleven-gearbox-a-clutch/445-toyota-elise-exige-2-eleven-jubu-racing-gearset-2zz-c64-gearbox.html

I will do some weighing when we get our next 460 kit in, in a couple of weeks.  The factory solution is a great big casting sitting on top of the engine.

On a related subject, I get the feeling that people would be interested in a chargecooler kit for an unmodified standard charger?  Perhaps a kit with the cooler, manifolds, airbox and map - giving a sustainable 400-420ish?

Dave

It is not entirely possible that KT fit the 1900 charger for the next level of V6 tuning? Nothing stopping them using it. They must be at the outer limit with the stock charger at 460ps. They would get way past 500ps which would push the power to weight ratio past the Ferrari F40!

It's also possible that Lotus decide not to fit the chargecooler for the Exige in order to keep weight down. So that means either smaller pulley or bigger supercharger. I hope it's the latter, the bigger charger looks cool in the rear view mirror too, very mean!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

I will do some weighing when we get our next 460 kit in, in a couple of weeks.  The factory solution is a great big casting sitting on top of the engine.

On a related subject, I get the feeling that people would be interested in a chargecooler kit for an unmodified standard charger?  Perhaps a kit with the cooler, manifolds, airbox and map - giving a sustainable 400-420ish?

Dave

Cooling always is the best place to start, bar the weight implications obviously. So i would be interested B-)

Since the 3-11 Race produces 460, surely there is something they are using along those lines? Bigger charger? Does it use a charge cooler?

Yes the 311 uses the same supercharger and chargecooler as the E400. The race version uses a £25k X-trac sequential gearbox which can take the extra torque so they have let it off the leash.

So really the Evora 400 would be the Evora 460 if only Lotus can find a (cost effective) solution to the gearbox.

15 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Yes the 311 uses the same supercharger and chargecooler as the E400. The race version uses a £25k X-trac sequential gearbox which can take the extra torque so they have let it off the leash.

So really the Evora 400 would be the Evora 460 if only Lotus can find a (cost effective) solution to the gearbox.

Good to know! 

Is the charge cooler Lotus use not as good as the KT one? Or a lot more money?

The next level of KT upgrades does use a bigger charger - but also engine internals.  There are a couple out there 'testing' already.

The factory 400+ is a completely different supercharger and chargecooler arrangement in a big (and no doubt expensive) single casting on top of the engine.

Dave

On the subject of the gearbox - the issue Lotus have is not necessarily that the extra power would damage the box, its that there will be a maximum quoted torque for the box published by the manufacturer and they can't exceed that as a manufacturer for obvious reasons.  The Exige/Evora box is a sturdy 3-shaft box.  For track use I would always recommend a good cooling setup as the 3-shaft box will churn the oil but I'm yet to hear of any breakages through excess power.  Of course adding more power is absolutely going to add more stress but anyone who wants to modify their car needs to go in with their eyes open and take there own view on whether the extra risk is worth it for them personally.

22 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

Good to know! 

Is the charge cooler Lotus use not as good as the KT one? Or a lot more money?

The lotus charge cooler is a very nicely integrated unit - much nicer than anything offered on the aftermarket and also has a decent cooling pump to go with it so I suspect the flow rates and efficiency are pretty good.  At the core of the Evora 400 is a 1700cc blower as opposed to the 1300cc on the Exige.  I should also add that the 400 supercharger retails £10,000+VAT alone!!

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

Re the weight of the KT EX460 Kit: they say the parts are less than 5kgs but you have to add the weight of the water... I guess the additional weight is less than 20kg ... but I will find out...

On 8/31/2016 at 11:07, Hangar 111 said:

Dave

As discussed last week Dave, this would be exactly what I am looking for!