Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine & Gearbox Oils? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine & Gearbox Oils?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fuchs Titan Pro Race S 5W/40 in the engine (Formerly Silkolene Pro S)

Redline MT90 in the gearbox.

I haven't don't either myself but cant be that hard, with the caveat that even taking undertray off without ramps / lift is a bit of a faf :)

1 hour ago, RedViper said:

Fuchs Titan Pro Race S 5W/40 in the engine (Formerly Silkolene Pro S)

Redline MT90 in the gearbox.

I haven't don't either myself but cant be that hard, with the caveat that even taking undertray off without ramps / lift is a bit of a faf :)

MT90 is only GL4 specLotus recommend a GL5

2 hours ago, Chrisc said:

Normally they would leave an access flap to get the sump plug out, so should not be too hard. Would be interested to know, as i will do a change every 3-4 k anyway. 

Are you new to the ways of Lotus?

Undertray off, I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

This one @Seriouslylotus ?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1017-red-line-synthetic-gear-oil-75w-90ns-gl5-non-limited-slip.aspx

Any ideas how much oil I need for the gearbox and engine?

www.alias23.com

With 50/50 track and road use any how often do you guys really do a gearbox oil change?!? Any recommendations? 

Engine Oil I think I will do once a year ... which is roughly 6,000 kms for me... 

Cheers

Norbert

Should be fine and Redline are well regarded. There are loads of alternatives in a fully synth, GL5, 75w90, without LSD additives (these can mess up the synchromesh).

1 hour ago, 550superfast said:

Mogul gear 300 in my box now. Reason was it should cope with heat better than standard oil. 

Is that what Lotus Motorsport put in for you? Im assuming its this one:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=516&g=662443&p=662594&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Gear Oil&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0f-9BRCF9-D60_n4rKcBEiQAnXW4-6XJx6Oa6H-da9CKuCjNaasz9re7B98TOu27jH_cZq0aAont8P8HAQ

Any improvement to gear changes?

www.alias23.com

On 24 August 2016 at 16:38, Seriouslylotus said:

Is this a new recommendation or maybe recommended for Cups (don't know why they would be different). Just checked my manual and it says 

quality standard : API GL4

image.jpeg

Not too much in it really, esp for hot use. 0w-40 is thinner at 40 degC than 5w-40, but the same at 100 degC. This means the 0w-40 will generally get circulated a bit quicker on a very cold start, due to lower viscosity, so you would want to give the engine a bit more time to warm up on the 5w-40.

If anyone doesn't know, the multigrade numbers are viscosity equivalents at two temperatures, 40 and 100 degC. The 40 degC is the "winter" viscosity, hence the "w". A multigrade oil has additives in it to keep it thicker than a single grade oil as it warms up. If it is as thick as a 0w monograde oil at 40 degC, but stays as thick as a 40w monograde would be at 100 degC, then it's rated 0w-40. So generally, the bigger the difference between the numbers, the more pronounced the multigrade effect is, i.e. the less it thins with heat.

HTH