Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust Help! - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust Help!

Has anyone fitted their own exhaust? Ive fitted the Komotec tonight, but the vacuum line needed extending. Used anew bit of tube, but its not really up to it, and the exhaust wont switch over from open to closed. Seems strange it does not come with it :ermm:

• Like 1

Fitted a 2bular recently which was supplied with a longer length of hose and it all works as normal.

Is the hose you used rigid enough, if not it could be collapsing as the vacuum is applied and not opening the exhaust valve?

Had a quick look this morning, and the tube was in half :lol::cry: so thats the switch over issue! Managed to find some heat resistant tubing almost the same as the stock tube, so that will be going on tonight! 

Luckily there is an access hole i can get my hand into, otherwise i would not be happy <_<

Having a bit of an issue.

Should the exhaust valve always have pressure from it? As my exhaust always seems to be closed, no matter what setting I put it on. Remove the vacuum line and it's constantly got vacuum on it, so silencing the exhaust! I wondered why it was quiet! 

Surely it should have no vacuum when in race mode?

Just part 12, as that is from the hard line to the rubber hose (part 12) then to the exhaust.

Ive always thought the exhaust was quite quiet really, so perhaps a faulty solenoid? Im sure its supposed to open, as the EPV system should mean its open at higher revs. No matter what i do, race mode - no difference, race mode with exhaust override - no difference. So it must be the solenoid, unless its supposed to be a vacuum when at standstill?

8 minutes ago, MartynB said:

Does sound like solenoid valve is not working for whatever reason.

Incidentally, am I imagining reading that the EPV is open at idle?

No, the exhaust valve is always shut. With no vacuum it's open, so safety if the vacuum line breaks I suppose. But as mine has vacuum all the time, the exhaust valve is shut, so quiet mode. Does not open when it's revved either, but only stationary. 

When moving, put it to race or Tour, and no change at all. Plus the override switch does nothing. Must be the valve, luckily it's in at Hofmanns for a service tomorrow! So will get them to take a look, and change it fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue that causes the exhaust valve pipe to have a constant vacuum and keeping the valve closed. I drive with the valve open all the time anyway, so just plugged the pipe for now - safety first!! :D

It's actually quite worrying that they can stick in an unsafe condition like this though!! Unfortunately mine caused a bit of heat damage until the rubber hose burned through and opened the valve, coming things down a little! 

It was the solenoid, but I took it out and cleaned it, now it's OK. £290 for a new one, but it would be under warranty anyway. 

I can't see how you can reverse the hoses though. As I tested the solenoid, and the correct way round, when the valve is open it will release the vacuum from the tube, but won't if it's the other way around, so it would stay shut anyway. If it plays up again, I will just unplug it, as I  always have it open anyway! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15 September 2016 at 06:57, Chrisc said:

It was the solenoid, but I took it out and cleaned it, now it's OK. £290 for a new one, but it would be under warranty anyway. 

£290 for a replacement doesn't sound quite right.  The control solenoid itself is about £60 incl. VAT.  To physically change it takes no more than 10-15 minutes - so at normal workshop labour rates, it shouldn't cost more than a £100 all-in, less if you DIY.

The solenoid is prone to failure on the V6S due to internal corrosion (cause - water, from rain or car washing, is sucked-in to the solenoid as it "vents" the downstream vacuum line to atmosphere).  On the 350 variants, Lotus solved the issue by taking the vacuum control lfor the exhaust valve actuator from a completely different valve/location.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2016 at 22:17, Chrisc said:

Has anyone fitted their own exhaust? Ive fitted the Komotec tonight, but the vacuum line needed extending. Used anew bit of tube, but its not really up to it, and the exhaust wont switch over from open to closed. Seems strange it does not come with it :ermm:

Chris

can I call u regarding the komotec exhaust ? 

If so please text me your number and I call u back..

many thanks

Pm me when your ready, as at work but I can call later if you wanted. 

The exhaust was supposed to come with the extended vacuum line by the way, just they missed it out. Luckily Hangar 111 sent it down asap

• Like 1