Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Studs vs Bolts? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Studs vs Bolts?

Im reading its good practise to change out the wheel bolts every now and again especially with track use. @Seriouslylotus have both OEM bolts available or a stud conversion kit now available for the Exige v6.

Should I be thinking of upgrading to studs?

Reasons why I'm debating, I'm often removing my wheels probably once a month be it changing round the wheels (asymmetric tyres) or adjusting my nitrons. So I'm concerned about my hubs and the thread especially with bolts. 

I'd rather stick with bolts but if there's a potential risk to my hubs due to frequent disassembly then I'm happy to convert to stud. If I'm being paranoid then great I can stick to bolts and just get some new ones for half the price of studs.

www.alias23.com

I installed the SL bolts, best decision ever. No fingering to fix the wheel at the hub. It's more easy to handle. But take care, using spacers is tricky.
Using 5mm spacers is possible due to the longer centering devices, more than 5 mm is not possible without special spacers.

Fix the bolts with a drop of Loctite (not much, to have the chance to disassemble later).

• Like 1

If you are using spacers, then its a no brainer. But other than that, its really just on your choice. Studs are easier with changing wheels, but only marginly. I would not worry about the hubs! 

Make sure you get a decent set of studs, and not alloy ones! One thing, is they do rust, and quite quickly. Unless you get titanium, which are my preference. 

Thats the thing i've got no intention of using spacers at the moment and tbh I actually find changing wheels and aligning to the hub pretty easy never had any issues. I reckon ill go with a new set of bolts/lugs as they are my preference and if no risk to hubs then ill stick to what I know. 

www.alias23.com

Upside of bolts, esp on hub-centric applications is you can have floating cone washers. These are better for getting accurate bolt tensions than the single piece bolts.

While we're on the stock Exige/Evora bolts, does anyone know if the 10-pt spline tool for BMWs will fit the Lotus bolts?

1 hour ago, MartynB said:

While we're on the stock Exige/Evora bolts, does anyone know if the 10-pt spline tool for BMWs will fit the Lotus bolts?

No idea I'm afraid but SeriouslyLotus sell spares I'm led to believe...

www.alias23.com

56 minutes ago, alias23 said:

No idea I'm afraid but SeriouslyLotus sell spares I'm led to believe...

Yeah, I saw that. Definitely handy.

I'm more interested in getting a socket that I can use on my impact driver and torque wrench without having a stack of adapters. I'll give it a go once I get the car I guess.

• 2 years later...