Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 VIN/Engine numbers? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 VIN/Engine numbers?

Aj

Been doing some research and getting totally confused. Can anyone more experienced decipher the numbers for me? Any information would be much appreciated.

7805/0406G

CC907780514983

Many thanks, 

Aj

Hi Aj

If you run a search on this forum and put in the words " Esprit serial numbers " It will take you to a topic on this forum about three posts down bibs has posted a link to the espritfactfile.  I have put your number in already but it needs to be 17 letters so comes back saying error. So you need to find the missing numbers,

Te start of the chassis number should be SCC.  From a brief look i can see its obviously the 907 engine i.e the 2.0 litre and made in 1978 ?  But i am not a chassis/vin number expert. the rest of the numbers mean which market it was produced for, and trim/colour. ?  

Hopefully the early G gurus will chime in as i may be completely wrong regarding your vin number lol. :P

• Like 1

A

@silverfrost Yeah what's confusing me is that my log book only has that exact data on it. I think it's missing letters but I have no idea how to find them, it's obviously a real Esprit but the numbers are wafty. The plate with this on also looks like it's been tampered with which is very strange. 

Aj.

What location are your VIN plates on your car,  You should have one under the windscreen i.e the alloy one at the bottom off the screen attached to the body just by the screen/A post area. 

Also if you get the wire brush out the vin number is stamped on the actual chassis metal structure itself. I will post a picture up in a few mins of its location just need to pull a picture of the web. 

Another tip from Andy Graham at lotus is to look at the wood ply fire wall from inside the car, you need to remove the big though, but he says a lot of S2 cars had the chassis number hand written in black marker at the factory. 

Regarding your logbook that sees very strange, is the car lhd or something, when was it last registred as if it was years and years ago documents with the dvla used to be just paper files so if a mistake could of been made maybe.? 

A

Aj

Here is a picture of the lotus chassis if you look on the drivers side at the area of the chassis circled in red if you wire brush that area marked green hopefully your chassis number will be stamped on the actual chassis. i.e not a plate its actually stamped on the chassis frame itself. :thumbup:

Also Andy Graham from lotus archives is fantastic and extremely helpful and i would suggest imo that you contact him before the DVLA.  Also shameful plug but the forums are doing the gold full forum member at the moment that gives you full membership and includes a certificate of provadence from lotus cars for 100 quid, the certificate alone is normally 75 quid :thumbup:

BTW Andy Graham does not charge to search your cars history which i think just shows how fantastic the lotus brand is. :)

Anyway here is the picture and good luck with the mystery vin numbers, fingers crossed its stamped on the chassis and you will get your answers/numbers.

Forstilling52_zps26fda819.jpg

A

My understanding for pre S3/Turbo cars is

7805/0406G

• 7805:   Manufactured May 78
  • 0406:   Serial No 406
  • G:        Domestic

CC907780514983

• 907: Engine Type 904
  • 7805: Manufactured May 78
  • 14983: Engine Serial No

edit: Just checked the registry and the format is correct an S2 :thumbsup:

If you haven't already, you can add your details to this thread

• Like 1

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 09:40, ChrisJ said:

My understanding for pre S3/Turbo cars is

7805/0406G

• 7805:   Manufactured May 78
  • 0406:   Serial No 406
  • G:        Domestic

CC907780514983

• 907: Engine Type 904
  • 7805: Manufactured May 78
  • 14983: Engine Serial No

edit: Just checked the registry and the format is correct an S2 :thumbsup:

If you haven't already, you can add your details to this thread

Oh thanks mate that's great news! Thanks for info.

Thank to everyone else too!