Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 102 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

• Gold FFM

Fabian 

that is really annoying, saying that my son ordered my wife’s Mother’s Day card 3 days before the day and it still hasn’t turned up. Got a refund but that’s not really the point isn’t it. 

Happy to pay will send you a PM mate 

Dan 

Progress

This project is proceeding at a snails pace due picking up and dropping off parts. I have covered a lot of miles to make this happen. The wheels are at my secondary team sprayshop in the Surrey Hills, as are the bumpers and the tailgate louvre to follow. We are matching the gold decal colour exactly. I have sold 90 per cent of the wheels I had to buy to get a set of comps. In the final wash up I got the set pretty cheaply, but it has been a mammoth effort. The easy bit will be putting them together! I then need to swap over to the new hubs and bearings supplied by Lotusbits. Then they can go on and my set of BBS wheels are off to Andy on here. 

I forgot how many bots are in these cars, it's going to take a while before it comes back together. At least some of the jobs are interesting like making the engine mountbheat sheild.

Lucky its not a Europa! If you take off the door catch completely the nut plate falls down into the body cavity and you have to cut out the wheelarch liner to put it back! I have often wondered if its the same on an Esprit but apparently not :)

• Haha 1

There's much more to catch you out on this!

On the Esprit they fall behind the fuel tanks. Then you have to think of ingenious ways to get them out of the tiny slot between the fuel tank and the body! 

Alright if the fuel tanks are already out!

I seem to have three handbrake grips, not sure where they all came from?

So it would fall down into the existing clutter of lost spanners, sockets etc down there :) 

I left that big rubber bungy thing off my handbrake, it looks cooler without it. But then again Bond had it..

Headlight Pods

lots of bits in here so useful to assemble them and get all the bits out of the way. The rear black parts are all the same the front plated parts are handed. The small screw is 4 mm. Make sure there is a washer on each side of the plated part when the adjusting screw is fitted. The have cleaned the adjuster screws and the have a zinc coating. The rear POR 15 and the front zinc plated. There are three slots in the front plated part that the headlamps locate into then the chrome surround screws on. IMG_3827.thumb.JPG.14619ccf2d0db9e55a9b025681b61353.JPGIMG_3828.thumb.JPG.f7c5bbb160b8fa2d6e6bcc4acdb910dc.JPGIMG_3829.thumb.JPG.b4d945fbe994f295cdf5a3da7a30ac9b.JPGIMG_3828.thumb.JPG.f7c5bbb160b8fa2d6e6bcc4acdb910dc.JPG

In the uk the light beam is directed down and left. You can google ways of adjusting them without equipment. But a beam alignment is probably best for the first setup.

I thought I had done all the plating but now as I try o reassemble I am finding more bits that need doing like the fuel cap inside plates and the fuel fillers.☹️☹️

• Like 1

I ordered Mocal fuel hose in 10 mm ID, I now believe some of the system is 8 mm ID. Check this out thoroughly as any leaks could be catestrophic! I have failed to find a Banjo bolt in the correct size so will have the originals cleaned and plated for re use. 

The Banjos on my car appear to be 13 mm? 

Headlight motor mounts. Put in new rubber mountings and then went to bolt them in and discovered Inhavnt got the set screws. 6 x 20 mm! Don't want to use over long bolts as it adds weight. Colin Chapman would probably have had to let me go for that! IMG_3821.thumb.JPG.92fb85a11fb63637883d3e1d9ec294bb.JPG

I have now put one label on the wiper motor earth!

Loom installation and refurb next! 

Have removed the dash covering. Has anyone discovered if this was leather? It's hard to tell.

Why would someone cut the loom tape off and cut the earth wires 😡😡☹️😡☹️☹️☹️☹️.????IMG_3847.thumb.JPG.ab10db6aa362f9aedf9411cb39caf880.JPGnow. Have to trace them on the wiring diagram😡😡😡😡😡

• Confused 1

Got a theory they may not all be earth wires at all, but detector wires from the Ultrasonic sensors that were fitted. Will have to wait to test them all tomorrow. 

Not sure if it helps, but ive just measured (drill blanks) and replaced my fuel hose with cohline from merlin motorsport. Got appropriate stainless fuel clamps too..

measurements were 9mm (3/8) from tanks to fuel cut off (1.5m total), and 6mm (1/4) through to the carbs(1m total).

Remember tho mine is the NA.

On the Turbo the stainless braided stuff and fittings is -6 size which is 8.7 id 13.9 od. 

So thats crossover pipe to pressure reg, reg to carbs, reg return to RH tank.

There are some bits of 10mm as I recall, tank-pump. maybe also pump-filter.

On later cars they ditched the ss braided with the alloy fittings, but presume you have this setup.

Well I was wrong half an hour with the test meter and I have Identifed the cut black wires. They are all earth wires. One from the fuel pump, one from the choke switch and three earth connectors that bolt to the chassis. Why would anyone cut these? Maybe previous rodent damage? After all it has been sitting over 14  years. Maybe later some one twisted the fuel pump wire to an earth to get the car running? I have found car electrics to be my favourite bit,  it's looks a nightmare but actually is pretty simple. Each wire has a start and an end point. If one is broken check the start point label A test to find other end then put a label A on It. Use an Ohm meter across the end of the broken wire and test all of the same coloured ends further down the loom. Repeat the label process until you have identified all the wires. Earths are easy. If you still can't work it out wait till  the loom is all fitted and powered up then you can experiment till all the systems work. I'm not a car electrician, but my A grade in electronics and time spent building circuits at Uni certainly helps! 

Its a happy day today after over a year and a half I have all the pieces to make a set of Compomotives. I have almost had to trade in wheels to get a set. The good thing is they haven't actually cost much after all the deals! I will post some pictures when I have assemble them. I'm nit posting anything on assembly as Jo Chan has done better write ups than me. I will be using rubber seals and sikaflex. There will be a band of sealant on the inside so Air pressure pushes into the joint  gap and seals the wheels. Initially I will put the Goodyear NCTs on and take some pics when the car is done before switching to new tyres.

The bumpers have been painted. My secondary paint man is an ace but had great trouble painting the white LOTUS. I think in hindsite Jo Chans decal method will produce better results. The original  Bond cars were had painted and look really ropey close up. So my man has done a pretty good job considering. The Louvre still need a lot of work but ai hope to get this done soon!

I have found more plating😩😩😩😩😩

its the fuel system, filler necks, fuel caps and Banjos. No point in putting rusty fuel caps back on. They will work much better when coated. I'm also getting the headlight surrounds Chromed. No skimping!

IMG_3845.thumb.JPG.c26be03c3f7ca47ede1f3553431d1d19.JPGThe bar removes easily, just two screws. The key action will improve no end when the little bar has been plated!

Assembled this back to front below, so don't copy it.  The support arms should be reversed. Springs go on the right as you look at the rear. Still not pivoting well enough so will have to take it all off again!IMG_3861.thumb.JPG.45ee53978b9b6fc363880eb9daf608ac.JPG

Tailgate mechanism, forgot to say!