Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 110 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Hub Fun

Errrrrr, I fink we need a  bigger puller! Compomotive format!IMG_4171.thumb.JPG.753edd898efb5cc1947e9c5d6953d464.JPGIMG_4172.thumb.JPG.71916f49d707df525c9186decbf0e225.JPGdont worry the split pin will be put back once I have had a coffee and bought a new one! Now for the other side!

This car is loosing the battle!

• Like 2

On 22/04/2018 at 08:35, Lotusfab said:

Anyone thinking of doing this my advice is don't. I'm well in excess of my S1 budget with all the labour done by me and the engine having been done already.It's hard to see where all the money goes but it just adds up. You could get one running for a lot less but it would always need bits replacing and be less than optimum.. My S1 which was done to a similar standard has been flawless since the rebuild apart from the standard two year cam cover gasket oil seepage which you always have to do.

The other big thing is the Turbo costs a lot of more to restore than an S1 or S2, as it really is a modern car and has so many more parts. The labour cost of a resto would be much higher for a nut and bolt full strip as this car is very time consuming due all the extra system refinements. 

I think my Turbo will have cost more than most due to the factory correct dry sump suspension and Compomotive wheels. This config is a money pit which is very very deep. Still it should be an awesome car and I hope the most accurate Copper Fire FYEO James Bond car to date. 

As I've always said, classic cars are worse than a very bad cocaine habit :)

• Haha 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

20 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Yes but new cars are far more lunacy. A friend of mine bought a Bentley. He owned it for 2 years and in that time it depreciated by £35000.

£35,000 would be a drop in the ocean if you got into restoring an old Aston. I was once tempted by a DB4 restoration project for £23,000 and didn't bid because I knew somebody else who was interested and didn't want to bid against him. But he probably spent £400k restoring it (it needed virtually everything) so thank God I didn't hahaha 

• Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

On 27/04/2018 at 20:21, Lotusfab said:

I could suggest it if I want a divorce!

Not sure thats valid grounds for divorce proceedings "I was forced to stay in a 5 star hotel with full spa facilities" :)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Depends whether she finds out there's a Lotus involved, which I think she might twig at some point!

Especially when you leave her there to drive Luigi to the ice skating stadium.

• Haha 2

Vent system 

We have to put the person who designed this on the list to be let go!

its mostly silicon but back together. Start with the back bit. Don't put the wiper in as you have to take it off as it bolts through this vent.IMG_4180.thumb.JPG.328d14de26eeaea58e20bdfefe00db6d.JPGthis needs silicon around the edges else your feet will be covered in water! The most informant thing with all this is DONT PUT the Windscreen in!! It was so much easier with it out and I did this job myself. With the windscreen in it would be your worst nightmare!  Once this is in you can do the rest of it. This is how it all fits together.IMG_4187.thumb.JPG.2949cc098f80af19dca2866ad5925ad1.JPGlots of little screws all over the place except two small bolts which hold the centre part in place at the base.

it has to be put in in pieces as it's very cramped under the dash area. First the centre, don't bolt it. Then fit the scroll extender and screw it onto the centre bit with the four small screws. Then move the whole thing to the correct position and bolt the centre bit in. Squeez in  the bulkhead piece which fits behind. Check you have all the screws then silicon it all in, put the screws in and clean off excess silicon, job done! IMG_4190.thumb.JPG.e902ca6c5597d9999b82ed43a2b4fae3.JPGIMG_4192.thumb.JPG.deb4e69037397a86cce9e184d9ced126.JPGIMG_4191.thumb.JPG.5079ab2f3d7e62b59a956df170c2922a.JPGIMG_4193.thumb.JPG.77e8a5e58c8eced3480f0926ce8131cd.JPGIMG_4194.thumb.JPG.5b387d089d42d366abe239fcc032333b.JPG

No aircon, thats cheating :)

Actually I think the way they used two blower motors, wired opposite, which can be energised singly or together is clever. The number of normal cars which use big resistors to control the speed of a single blower which overheat, burn the wiring or even in some cases (Vauxhall Zafira) catch fire!

• Like 1

I Have manual aircon! 

Well, automatic if you count the glass dropping down inside the door!

😀😀😀😀😀

It's getting fun now, just the front loom and then bolting all the nice bits on.

• Like 2

IMG_4179.thumb.JPG.6189dbe3148d5929e27b6b7adbdfc49a.JPGGot these rod end hearings from Henderson bearings. They were good value. These ones are 1/4 UNF but some later cars use 6 mm. All in at £11! A worthwhile upgrade and one of the cheaper bits on the car.

Hoses

The last major bit to sort out, apart from the trim. I shall be replacing all of the hoses with silicone. The problem comes with only a few pipes that have 90 bends on the end and connect to the heater. They are quite long hoses. To replace these a 90 join will be required. As far as I can see therest should be easy to replace with 90 degree bends and straight bits. The pipes that are pitted will be replaced or treated with J B weld depending on the severity. Another solution is to cut the pipes back 1/2 inch and bevel the new end. As all the hoses are being replaced so length change is not a problem. 

Headlight motors

They were original painted with rubber paint. Would you believe you can now buy this in rattle cans! So I will respray both the motors in the original paint. The motor decals are a little more difficult. Havent managed to source them yet. I have a picture of one if anybody would like to make a graphic and get some printed? A lot easier than the Burglat sticker.

• Like 1

Fabian, try HTS2000 for you pipe repairs from these guys:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/aluminiumrods?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Aluminium brazing rods...will try to stick a Pic up later, but I had great success with it on my heater pipes last week. Make sure you have a stainless steel brush.

going to try a door handle repair in a week or so, too

ATB, Dave

• Like 1

Normal propane torch worked fine for me. Had an old bit to play on, and followed the inx to the letter (stainless brush, heating substrate, not rod etc) .

took a chisel to it afterwards and  damaged the test piece, but couldnt dislodge the new material.

there are other alternatives..Dad picked one up from a model show a while back, and we couldnt get that to work, but werent using stainless prep brush at the time.

That's a good price on the rose joins @Lotusfab

Well worth it IMO. You should do your S1 after this.

Email me the motor graphics and I'll have a look to see if it's a simple task.

I'm just warming up after spending 7 hours on my S1 yesterday in the freezing North East cold. @Paul Coleman said he was also cold, but I don't believe it. I think he must be a suthon softy. Hopefully the weather is warming up towards the end of this week.

• Haha 2