Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 141 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Have just ordered some 2 mm fiberoptical strands on eBay. They were very cheap and I should be able to adapt them for use. 

I also bought a brand new optical unit for £5 from Rimmer Bros, they still have more left.

I putvthe switches in my sonic bath, dried them and then used contact cleaner. The contact on the light one is still nit good. Probably pittedvfrom the electrical load.

Hi Fabian, those wheels a few pages earlier are from Epsilon?

I have a set of those (on sale), but no details on size and offset. Do you eventually have these details?

Wolfgang

PS: my RM610 finally works now, got it repaired and found a suitable antenna for a GPR car

Electrics

Lights now work perfectly with the new switch. The fuel sender wasn't working so I connected the sender earth. It still didn't work so I checked the wiring diagram. The gauge should be earthed to the temp gauge. Connected this and now the gauge is working. I connected an earth to the wiper control unit, as Andy suggested and the wipers are working. I have replaced all of the bulbs and they all work now. Only two things left to check the internal fans and the radiator cooling fans and then all the electrics will be back online.

• Like 1

Fiber optic strand came and I have tested them. Et are much brighter than the Lotus ones, which is good. Only cost about three pounds and they are more flexible. Should have the system fixed soon. Have just rebuilt the front suspension on my wife's Discovery, so it has delayed my work- but sometimes you have just got to keep the Mrs happy, its cheaper than a divorce!

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

" . . . .so it has delayed my work- but sometimes you have just got to keep the Mrs happy, its cheaper than a divorce!"

Yup, sideswiped for the 3rd (and last !!!) time in recent years by home reno projects gone awry, one way or another. Won't be taking any more calls to arms when I soon resume S2 work out in the garage 'til the thing is on the road, and this has been made deadly clear to the Mrs.

Cheers

• Like 1

Fibre Optics

order 2 m of 2 mm fiber optic strand. Drilled out the old holders with 2 mm drill bit and glued the cable to the connector. Massive improvement in brightness. I have decide to replace all of the fiber optic strands. Here's one end I have already done! Only £3 for a big improvement.IMG_5593.thumb.PNG.3cd8dd2c507fcbce5ee386d366038e14.PNG

• Like 2

Looking great as ever. 

Do your seatbelt stalks have the word PRESS on the orange label?

If not and you need any I found these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Reflective-Kangol-PRESS-Seatbelt-Stalk-Orange-Decals-Inertia-Static/132264585884

I've not seen my belts for a while but I'm sure mine have tatty labels.

:) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

On 04/12/2018 at 16:07, Lotusfab said:

its cheaper than a divorce!

Are you absolutely sure? Have you actually added up all the invoices to check - I'm not so sure...

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

8 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

Are you absolutely sure? Have you actually added up all the invoices to check - I'm not so sure...

Taking my cue,

A wife and husband, reflecting on the occasion of their 25th anniversary, glasses of wine in hand -

Wife:     " Well here we are, after 25 years! "

Husband:     " Yep "

Wife:     (Observing a tear welling up in hubbie's eye)   " Aww, you're feeling sentimental !"

Husband:    " Nope, just thinking I'd have been "out" by now. "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After five days work on the Discovery it's back to work on this! The trim is nearly done Steve has almost finished the door cards and is busy working on the seats. The upper door cards are leather and lower vinyl - as per the original. The speaker holes all removed as per the Bond car. . So header and centre consol left to do! In order to finish the centre consol I have to get he graphic panel remade and the clock housing. Whilst I'm contemplating these I will get on with the driveshafts, Wastegate pipes and engine. Then the tailgate,ski racks and ski refurb. The bindings have already been in my sonic cleaner. They came out really well. 

After thinking about it for two years I have the ski rack design in my head. They will be metal under a fiberglass non loadbearing fairing. The upper rack will be the same design as the Bond car with a metal strap hinge welded to a bolt on base. They will also have the boat style push in pin with a metal ball bearing that protrudes out to lock the pin. The one different will be a cam lock seated in the pin recess. This will prevent the pin being pulled out without the key. 

Hope to get my welder to fabricate these soon. I'm still deciding whether steel or aluminium is best.

door card before all bits are on.

IMG_4766.thumb.JPG.5856100605c3c438534ce09dce71cc2c.JPG

Steve at Fulcher coachtrimmer did them. I'm very pleased with the roucheing effect. faithfull to the original, but new. My best achievement was the leather recolouring. It's spot on to the Bond car - but what a lot of effort was involved!

Got thrown one last challenge unexpectedly. Whilst busy refurbing my wing mirrors Andy noticed I have the later ones😩😩😩So now I'm busy hunting for the early type. The later ones more reliable and easy to come buy. But the early ones very illusive. Some guys in California are remaking them, but I'm  hoping to pick up some, so the hunt is on! If anyone has some spares or knows o,f some I would be most Grateful! I havn't the ones on the left in the diagram. They were used on Taxi cabs. I prefer the early style, but more  importantly they were on the Bond car.IMG_5610.thumb.PNG.525dace4ed29d1b56966dd840fe79d1a.PNGIMG_5612.thumb.PNG.9d2635dea943d974562307a8c93035cd.PNG

If anyone would like to trade the early ones for the later ones I would be glad to. Doesn't matter if they don't work. I believe my car was originally fitted with the early ones and someone switched them out. Although Lotus seemed to use anything they had in the parts bin and did worry too much about Vin numbers!

That pic looks very much like my car! 

But the mirror body should be black not body coloured. My first Turbo Esprit, one of the last dry-sumps, also had white mirrors and I am pretty sure these were white ex-factory but most cars have black, as I assume the Bond car does.

The door switches are also different from early to late mirrors and the wiring.

The early ones were made by a Japanese company and were used on other low-volume cars such as Aston Martins of the era. I guess there is a slight possibility they may have been used on a volume Japanese car of the time.

• Like 1