Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 157 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

15 minutes ago, Steve4012 said:

No I kept the originals. 

Did the mixture screw washer and o ring fit? In my kit they seem too big. I will have to contact Eurocarb, unless I find a solution.

I don't recall the mixture screw washers being in the kit.  I agree that its pretty frustrating to be presented with that bag of minute loose o-rings.   NB Looking at your kit, are those paper gaskets?  Would not expect to see any in a turbo kit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Did the mixture screw washer and o ring fit? In my kit they seem too big. I will have to contact Eurocarb, unless I find a solution.

Yes but it if I remember correctly I only had two? I know I had to re use one or two others when I found the wrong quantity of a particular size. It was all a bit frustrating for a kit that costs around £100. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

I don't recall the mixture screw washers being in the kit.  I agree that its pretty frustrating to be presented with that bag of minute loose o-rings.   NB Looking at your kit, are those paper gaskets?  Would not expect to see any in a turbo kit. 

Yep two paper gaskets. I think these are for standard Dellortos, the Turbo has a different top gasket. There are four other  round gaskets which shouldn't be in there, I think they are fornthe Bango connector. . It's very frustrating and a waste of their money. Or maybe just a packing error? I ashould have photographed the kit so we could identify all they parts on here. I sorted all of the o rings (about 26 of them into size. Then with the parts diagram and by elimination fitted them. This can't be done wrong as an error might result in a fuel leak and we all know what happens then. If I can't get to the bottom of this over the phone I will go to Eurocarb. I will report it all on here so that anyone else who has to do this doesn't get it wrong.

Well, looks as If this is all coming apart and I'm going to have to do it again! The kit I ordered was for a Turbo Esprit. They seem to have delivered a mix. The paper top seals are for a non Turbo carb. I have a mix of two kits!IMG_6506.thumb.PNG.c509c709d813387f3ca00bde99150180.PNGIMG_6507.thumb.PNG.a414015a090b35e85870e3d778c178e5.PNG

The accelerator pump diahragms are different from turbo to non-turbo. So you could check they are the same as the ones in the carbs.

SJ are supplying the wrong ones, I had to send them back, the diameter of the metal disc is different. Presumably affects the volume of fuel sprayed in.

When you are there you could ask them why the discs are different size for turbo, I am interested to know what happens if you fit the standard SJ one.

• Like 1

I have found Eurocarb extremely helpful and no doubt they will resolve this for me today. Just frustrating when you want to get something done. All they need to do is markup their online pics with parts discriptions. Would only take a few days for an expert and they have guys there that know all the parts. I will suggest it when I get there. Annoyingly it's four hours out of my day when I could be building other bits of the car. Still I don't mess with things that can end my project in a few minutes!

There used to be Southern Carburettors just round the corner from here and they said on these carbs a common fault is the springs which drive the pump levers from the butterfly shafts would corrode and become weak. That was a problem on the Excel I used to own, a hesitation on acceleration.

Yes I did it by making a simple jig to capture all the fuel expelled into 4  containers and then measuring the output in a syringe.   Carbs (fuel) were pressurised and filled via the FPR as normal. just used a long fuel hose.  There is a post on here somewhere

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve I need to do that! Any idea where your post is?

I suppose I could rig up a test bed. The FPR and fuel pump are off the car. I'll try no to ignite myself on the test! 

Seem to recall thread was called 'pump jet trauma'.   Thinking about it, there were not 4 containers as I did 1 carb at a time.   The jig was an upturned recycling bin thing! that just happened to hold the carb level and secure.   Because the pump jet sprays a very straight single jet its easy to collect the output, then measure against the spec provided in the manual  (a set volume over a set number of strokes).    It wasn't rocket science! but the conclusions were quite interesting   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Andyww said:

When you are there you could ask them why the discs are different size for turbo, I am interested to know what happens if you fit the standard SJ one.

Thanks Andy, these are a different size two! Would not have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. I hopefully will get an answer! 

Presumably many have trodden this path before? If so please post on here as it will save a list of time.....

So there seems to be a part missing from these carbs, a pump jet filter?IMG_6510.thumb.PNG.cc60c516a8429896daf3fcec1b0b068f.PNGIMG_6511.thumb.PNG.b09a67e3b894e6509325dc639b81f1d6.PNGthis is all very easy. The only issue is created by not having the O ring sizes in the rebuild kit! 

I'm starting the thing the mixture screw Onring and washer arnt included. It raises an issue how many rebuilds have been done incorrectly?

I dont think thats fitted, dont remember seeing it. But the pump jets do easily get blocked as they are so small, even though the Turbo has a proper fuel filter.

Definitely not a waste of time and now back  to spec   (and pretty easy with carbs already off the car)  I'm happy with my combustion which is near identical across all cylinders!  (based on spark plug appearance)  

NB - I've not got or ever seen those pump jet filters

Edited by 910Esprit

Eurocarb very helpful, I think it's all sorted.

firstly the smaller O rings are for the Mixture screw and the air screw. The thickness varies so be careful! The slightly larger goes on the pump jet and the rest are self explanatory.

The larger diameter pump Jet diaphragm is still available but should be fitted to the 40M HC carb( as far a short the manuals are concerned), so the ones supplied by Eurocarb are correct according to the manuals. This diaphragm pushes out 1 cc less of fuel. I had the larger ones in my carb.

The pump jet filter is a spring that compresses leving a very small gap which is the filter. I have decided to fit these to my car. Of course if the filtration upstream is good they won't be necessary. 

If you are unsure of the O rings I suggest ordering one for each part and taking the others out if the kit. You don't want to get it wrong. My kit had a few extra bits not required. Have to say Eurocarb were very helpful and my carbs are now sorted. 

40 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Definitely not a waste of time and now back  to spec   (and pretty easy with carbs already off the car)  I'm happy with my combustion which is near identical across all cylinders!  (based on spark plug appearance)  

NB - I've not got or ever seen those pump jet filters

Thanks I will calibrate mine in the same way.

• Like 1

If your carbs are now clinically clean, make sure you apply a smear of anti seize compound to the mixture screws, they can and do seize and can become almost impossible to remove  

• Like 1