Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 218 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8082759/Simon-Cowells-retro

They should have come to see me before they made it. Simon has impecable taste, but alas its interor was not white! Also it didnt have BBS wheels, the Esprit in the picture is another replica.

With a mini replica costing 90K plus, maybe I wont go bankrupt after this rebuild?!

I could let him have the real thing for around £100k, a real steal! 

IMG_1047.thumb.PNG.10ee6b85725781d8418ae8841d304520.PNG

44 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8082759/Simon-Cowells-retro

They should have come to see me before they made it. Simon has impecable taste, but alas its interor was not white! Also it didnt have BBS wheels, the Esprit in the picture is another replica.

With a mini replica costing 90K plus, maybe I wont go bankrupt after this rebuild?!

I could let him have the real thing for around £100k, a real steal! 

IMG_1047.thumb.PNG.10ee6b85725781d8418ae8841d304520.PNG

If Simon had impeccable taste he’d have an Esprit!

• Haha 1

Well new oil cooler pipes almost done just need to connect the ends at the cooler and put the spoiler back on with the undersheild. Its a tricky job unless the whole car is lifted and there two of you! But as I said before you can do anything with time and determination. Nearly back to the engine rebuild. Still waiting for the head and block to be returned. Shouldn't take too long when it comes back after all I have done it all before, assuming  there are no more issues-which there always seems to be on these cars! 

Im getting highly motivated again, especially now Simon Cowel is attempting the steal the limelight, who knows hes probably got the idea from my blog!

• Like 1

Well I will have to repeat the water thermostat test. Im not sure the valve is opening far enough, now I have discussed it with Andy. Apparently it needs to be boiled for at least five minutes. Andy has lent me his old one to test and see how they compare.

I have come to the conclusion because these cars are 40 years old you must assume all parts are suspect and test them extensively before refitting them. The extra time for this is very well spent and most of the tests are easy. 

The thermostt, although made in England, is used on Mercedes cars. The original stst opens at 82 degrees, which is stamped on it.

• Like 2

Valve testing

1 min 30 secs at IMG_1051.thumb.JPG.8a8e529fcc9dbeefb2e86f58431453e8.JPGthe boil to completely close the thermostat. You can see in the pic its still open. This closes completely. Now to test my own one again!

Well these were made in India by a company that now makes plastic thermostats, called Western Thompson. I wont even bother to ask them if they will make some more, I've been doen that route too many times. So the hunt begins for a new replacement. There are many out there, but the pipe sizes are different. 

Hi Fabian, does the 'stat open or close when coolant temp has been reached? I may be in the market for a new one as well as my dry sump is not getting up to temperature when driving normally.

7 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

Hi Fabian, does the 'stat open or close when coolant temp has been reached? I may be in the market for a new one as well as my dry sump is not getting up to temperature when driving normally.

Hi Steve, sort of does both. The important bit itvthat it closes off the bypass completely when hot so all the water is directed through the radiator. Once I have got the new one and tested it to ensure it works and fits I send you a link.IMG_1070.thumb.PNG.b9dee9421007ce114b6335b8a385c751.PNG

It closes the piston you can see in the boiling pot picture and opens the bottom of the valve.

Instruments - Calibration of the temperature gauge

Andy has sucessfully calibrated the temperature guage. Hopefully he will explain on here how he did it. What I think he has discovered is the original voltage regulator must be mounted in the correct orientation. It has an arrow on it which should point up.  To avoid this problem a solid state Voltage regulator might be the best solution. He found his guage was overreading by about 25 degrees. Mine was over reading by 15 degrees.

Wastegate

You may remember I rebuilt this with a new diaphram. I noticed a squeek whilst driving the car everytime the wastegate actuated. This was caused by carbon in the wastegate valve guide. Like lots on this car there is no real guidance for this part. So this is what I think - dont copy what I do! The valve is quite loose in the guide. I believe this is correct because of expansion. The valve gets really hot. Even though it feels loose at room temp when it heats up, with carbon build up in the guide it can stick. So you have to ensure the guide is carbon free! Also what lubrication should be used for the valve stem? Well you might say its not required. I have seen some with copper slip. I belive Permatex Nikel slip is much better. It prevents seizure upto crazy temps far exceeding copper slip. Trouble is its available in tube firm in the states only. I have managed to get a tube!

I noticed when driving and the boost kicked in the needle on the guage was fluttering. This was caused by an air leak from the turbo boost pipe. On close examination the pipe on mine was necked. Its now being replaced with a new pipe from Lotusbits, they have made a whole new batch if anyone needs one! 

This engine problem has prooved very useful. I will have corrected everything on the entire car! I'm looking forward to getting the engine back in and driving it!

When I saw Roger Moore at one of his chat evenings he told us a story concerning the Spy Who Loved Me debut at the Cannes film festival. Someone decided it would be a good idea to have the S1 at the show. A driver was sent with the car to Cannes. Because of the reliability issues on set they had a bet on how far the car would get. Apparently it broke down just outside Lyon and was secretly repaired. It then made it all the way to Cannes. When they tried to start it the next morning the battery was flat. To avoid headlines like," James Bond Car Breaks Down" the battery was secretly replaced!

Just wondered if anyone on here would like to guess how far we will get when we set off to Cortina for The For Your Eyes Only Location?

2 hours ago, v8vantage said:

I reckon you'll break down in the Channel tunnel Fab, causing a blockage to all motorised transport for weeks! I expect to see you climbing out of the car at the hotel just like RM did when he stayed there. 

85156666_215371419604402_7730781604457482765_n.jpg

I hope you notice the wheel weights on the outside rim of the right front wheel Fab, I expect to see those replicated on yours. They should be positioned just between the "O" and "D" in "GOODYEAR"!

Hi Roo, thats a great picture. It amazes me how many new pics seem to appear on the Lotus Forums that I have never seen before! Thats a great picture of the front wheel revealing the Essex Style 1 inch wheel lip. It took me ages to determine what the correct width was! Must have been a real tight fit for Roger Moore. He almost looks in shock trying to get out!

Its about 900 miles each way to Cortina. We will have to do some extensive testing and get both our cars to peak performance before we set off!

On 12/03/2020 at 06:55, Lotusfab said:

Hi Roo, thats a great picture. It amazes me how many new pics seem to appear on the Lotus Forums that I have never seen before! Thats a great picture of the front wheel revealing the Essex Style 1 inch wheel lip. It took me ages to determine what the correct width was! Must have been a real tight fit for Roger Moore. He almost looks in shock trying to get out!

Its about 900 miles each way to Cortina. We will have to do some extensive testing and get both our cars to peak performance before we set off!

This original FYEO press photo was on ebay last week along with 2 others of him getting out of the car. I bought them all of course.

Here they are in sequence.

fneaP8.png

ke1efN.png

GrlOMZ.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

Andy shouldn't you be headed to Corfu? Villa Sylva.. :) 

Should do really, bit of a trek from Cortina though. I have driven to Corfu before, not in the Esprit though, there is a ferry from Brindisi in Italy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

This original FYEO press photo was on ebay last week along with 2 others of him getting out of the car. I bought them all of course.

Here they are in sequence.

fneaP8.png

ke1efN.png

GrlOMZ.png

Great pictures, thanks.

• Like 1

The balance weights stick out like a sore thumb!

In those days I dont think they had balancers which were sophisticated enough to calculate weights without using any on the front. On modern machines there is a setting on them "No weights on the front".

Expecting to pick up the block end of next week. Aqua blasted exterior with professionally fitted steel liners. The Mahle pistons and new rings will be gapped and dropped in ready for me to rebuild. Balancing and crank is finished. They are still working on the head, its has taken a long time. The head has new stainless inlet valves and guides and new exhaust valves and guides. All surfaces have been machined. All valve springs replaced and some otye collets. The exhaust valves are made of a modern material designed to carry heat away from the head and are solid. Whilst Im waiting and with extra time I have started to work on the skis and racks again.

I now have four pairs of Tyrolia 360 Ski bindings. I made a mistake earlier on this have got the correct colour paint and have got them in a sonic bath. Once cleaned they will be repainted and new decals applied. Then carefully put to one side so I can complete the ski racks. A lot more work is required to make the moulds. The split mould I made needs a lot of tidying. I can't believe how many man hours these have consumed and its still going!Still the bulk of the work is done, I think!

It looks to me that in that 3rd shot the bell boy can't fully open the tailgate because the ski tips are touching the roof stopping it opening any further.

Also in that same photo has something has been placed underneath the ski tips to protect the paint on the roof?

I hope your design will take that into account, you wouldn't want to get that smashing paint job ruined the first time you opened the tailgate with the skis attached.

Interesting that the aerial is on the drivers side, is it the same on your car Fabian?

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!