Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 37 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

There's not really any detailed info on this on here? Has anyone experimented with the aerial system? Im going to take it all out again!

Need to find out why the Aerial only runs when both blue cables are connected. This is probably incorrect. Will have to get if off the car again and take the motor to pieces again!

Is there any chance that the aerial has already been replaced with a type which does not need the separate delay unit and has everything built in, as they usually do?

Well took the motor apart again. There is no earth connection to the armature! The two blue wires go directly to the brushes. The control circuit is broken. I have spent a long time on this now. I could find a control circuit from eBay and fit it but am rapidly coming to the conclusion an electric aerial mounted in such an awkward place is folly. It will end up,with the door coming off. So I may well just put a pull up aerial in, like on my S1.  If I were to continue kInthink the best way forward would be to source a new aerial of the correct size with its own control circuit. IMG_1697.thumb.JPG.6afe2b3ea3a63e47da12b3d94dd9f450.JPG

As I had the fuses boxes out I have tested and replaced all of the fuses with the correct ratings. 

?????????????

I'm considering a circuit repair. I can't find another controller. The most likely failure is the capacitors. I may test them and replace. If they arnt the problem then that's it. I could always buy a new aerial from S and J for £235 + vat.

At the moment the circuit is stuck with a high voltage on one Blue lead. I believe it should switch polarity and give a six second pulse to each blue wire in rotation to raise and lower the aerial. 

3 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

I'm considering a circuit repair. I can't find another controller. The most likely failure is the capacitors. I may test them and replace. If they arnt the problem then that's it. I could always buy a new aerial from S and J for £235 + vat.

At the moment the circuit is stuck with a high voltage on one Blue lead. I believe it should switch polarity and give a six second pulse to each blue wire in rotation to raise and lower the aerial. 

Those capacitors don't look blown to me. Normally they vent out the top which is what the cutouts on the top are for. The thing next to them is probably some sort of integrated circuit which is more likely if both the relays are good.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

That green thing is a thick-film circuit which will be a custom part.

Lucas part no 33388 seems to be functionally the same delay unit.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Ps are you taking the Turbo to Brooklands on Sunday?

No I will be in the USA unfortunately. Watching my sons band play at a Rock festival.

Excellent! My daughter spent a week with Uncut magazine editing last summer and us well read within the music scene, will ask if she's heard of them. 

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

Kyros. They are playing 10 dates in the US starting with this festival: http://rosfest.com/uk-band-kyros-returns-to-rosfest-in-2017/

I will have to give them a listen. Any band that quotes Porcupine Tree as an influence gets my vote! 

• Like 1

Was checking the car history. 1990 is the last time the car had an MOT- 27 years ago. The last service stamp NOV 89, 59,355 miles! Its now reading 60622 miles, hasnt gone very far in 27 years! That might explain why the electrics are in good nick. Just needs a clean up in the engine bay, although I will service the lift motors. This made a big difference on the S1. 

Just found out why the fans aren't working, theres a relay with inline fuse under the bonnet, the fuse holder was broken. Made the circuit and the fans run, although they didnt sound good????they havn't turned for some years! The only thing not working now electrical wise is the horn(besides the aerial). They are inside of the spoiler cover so will have to get the front spoiler off and remove the radiator to service the fans or replace them. I have three new fans i could put on. They were too big for the S1 might might work a treat on this beast.

Fabian, the fans on mine sounded terrible after an 8 year lay up, but with a bit of use mine are now quiet and smooth. Maybe worth persevering to see if they improve with use?

Steve.

• Like 1

Well I made a mistake. What I thought was a fuse in the front boot which connects the brown power lead to the fan relay is in fact a reverse polarity connector?? It has a black bullet type case and one of the connectors shown below inside, the outer case is boken. I've never come across this before. Presumably it acts like a diode and prevents reverse currents melting everything? Can anyone shed any light on this?IMG_1699.thumb.PNG.68812333075a05a276ad48805db5f13a.PNG

The part doesn't seem to be available to buy?

It simply reverses the polarity to make the fans run the right way. Not needed as you can just wire the right way without the extra unreliability of a connector. Its to cater for a different model of fan which runs the other way.

I got a chap to look into the possibility of a new aerial. So far no luck with the sizes, they are all too big. There are aerials now that will bond to fiberglass and get rid of the need for an electrical one. I don't really know why, but I'm old school and want an electrical one. I have managed to acquire what appears to be a very similar design electric Aerial off eBay. It has never been used, just hope it can be modified to fit! I found one of the metal door washers was missing and have got a new one from S and J. Hopefully this Aerial thing will be sorted soon so I can put he door back on. 

Im having to give the car a break for a while whilst I get the S1 ready for Lotus day at Brooklands. 

• Like 1

I'm having second thoughts about turning this into the Bond car simply because it is totally original with a stamped service book to 1990 and then only 1200 miles since the last service in 1990. Its only been driven for eight years before it was off road. I could restore this to the same standard as the S1 then sell it to fund a dry sump purchase.  I still intend to make the For Your Eyes Only car but think it may be better to buy a dry sump with Compomotives? Just thinking out loud at the moment. 

• Like 1