Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 39 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Done to your standards Fabian it's likely to be worth more as a Copper Fire FYEO replica. I know that's not what this is about but for every buyer who scoffs at the colour being non-original there will be three who see the car of their childhood dreams. The scoffing sorts tend to steer clear of Lotus cars anyway so I reckon you'll be alright among us lot! Has restoring S1s to Bond spec harmed their value? I'd argue not. When everyone's repainting them white, it makes the other colours rarer so actually increases the value overall. Same with Copper Fire, there's a reason so many want to respray that colour - it looks amazing! To everyone's credit there are very few Essex clones out there, it must be tempting being so widely admired but in any event my first choice of colour for a respray of a project car would be Copper Fire too. Demand for Turbo Esprits in that colour will always exceed supply.

:thumbup:

• Like 2

Nicely put Buddsy. I reckon another red one painted Copper will only increase the rarity and value of yours and Stephens scarlet beauties! Everyone's a winner!

• Like 1

Will you be brave enough to colour match the old school Copper Fire? The newer one is a nicer colour in isolation but it would be nice to see someone have a go!

I need to research the paint. The original does look different to the new paint I have seen, but why? In theory it should be identical. If I have to head to Miami this project could take a long time!

Has anyone got an original Copper fire Esprit that has not been resprayed that could be colour matched?

There are still problems. I have lots of Barrels and lips, but the Bond sizes are elusive. I believe the sizes should be as follows, hopefully Johnny or Jo, as the resident experts will confirm? 

Front 5 inch barrel, 1 inch lip.

rear 3.5 inch barrel, 4 inch lip ???

finding the centres leaves only one issue, rolled edge rims. I have 1.5 inch fronts, and 3.5 inch rears without a rolled edge. I have seen these fitted and they look fine. But this has to be exact. Have to try and get them made if no joy hunting them. 

If anyone can help with the rear Barrels or Lips please let me know. 

Bond's was Copper Fire but Lotus later did a very similar colour called 'Autumn Bronze'. Nice colour actually and pretty much what Lotus give you if you order a Copper Fire car these days.

Roman Bronze?looks different. Was Matts 2.2 Copper fire???IMG_1806.thumb.PNG.ef876d2e667bd601cb81d9d0cbaf03ab.PNG

IMG_1807.thumb.PNG.1fce1027f770c122425cdbf9fbf1fc63.PNGCopper fire?????

Has anyone got an Original unsprayed copper fire Esprit? If so please can I colour match it?

IMG_0728.thumb.PNG.3012310466c96062655adaa137527296.PNGPaint looks so different???

I may contact Connelly leather and see if they can match the leather colour.

If anyone has any info please chip in. This research took me as much time as building the S1!

Roman Bronze is stunning! @hopo's is the only original Copper Fire car in active service that I know of.

That famous FYEO shot in the snow really sets the colour off but isn't a good reference, snow does crazy things to the light.

Got to have white Lotus on the bumper!

Do we know if Hoppos paint been redone or is it original?

Is this Hoppos car, looks great and the paint looks fab?IMG_1810.thumb.PNG.c2f5e7c8a84c298372217c07b8bbd2e6.PNG

• Like 1

I believe it's very original.

@hopo? We're talking about your car again.

He describes it very succinctly as more Copper than Fire!

It's very coppery, like the top of a Duracell battery. Definitely the closest I've seen to the Bond promo shots. That one (which may or may not be THE one in Monaco) is also similar.

I love it personally!

Well good news. Matts car was Copper Fire and he kept the filler cap which is in perfect condition so the paint could be matched! When I get the paint matched will let everyone know where it was done so they can make more on request. They should be able to store the colour. 

• Like 2

Having looked into wheels for some time if believe there may be three different variants.

1. Early car cx500 in centre of wheel.

2. Later car cx500 on outside of lip.

3. Five stud cx500 lotus supplied , possibly different barrels and lips. Why, the suspension might be the same as the wet sump???  The lips on the five stud cars at the rear do not have rolled lips. I believe they are the same that came with my new wheels. I think they may be 3.5 inch and not 4 inch in the rear (which is what I have), and the lip deeper on the front? Someone who has one of these cars may like to measure them and confirm. It's simple to measure from the inside to the outer edge then take off half an inch. 

Interestingly I have a picture of what I think is the Deezer car at the Lotus Hethel plant and it doesn't have rolled edges???IMG_1825.thumb.PNG.7317dbc779054af838af33b166c23d01.PNG

Did the factory ever sell any cars with 5-stud CX500s?

I wonder why they originally went with 4 stud though when the wheel was clearly designed for 5. The 4 stud wheels dont look very correct, both from the aesthetic aspect as the pattern repeats 5 times and also from the engineering aspect, the area where the bolts are is thin and has no strengthening webbing and the nuts too close to the centre hole. I am convinced that the reason they binned a lot of CX500s was because they had some crack and didnt want anyone to find out.