Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 71 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I have finally got to the bottom of the guaze filter. It was new but whoever brazed it on got carried away and overheated the resin, which cause some of it to detach. It's a shame to take the oil pump and housing off, as it's all newly fitted. The distributor has also been refurbed and looks like new. A necessary evil in order to get the strainer up to speed!

Have done a 180 on the Filter gauze. After talking to all the experts Araldite is used to hold the filter on. In many cases it detaches. The solution is to Araldite it back. Obviously poor design. If I buy a new filter the brazing temperature is likely to damage the expoxy and it fail again.  So I decided to use Jons idea. Expoxy the filter back in and wire lock it on two sides using stainless wire. I have used heat resistant JB weld as an improvement. 

• Thanks 1

IMG_2726.thumb.PNG.bca4e9f226cc7d494a2917e6923048f6.PNGI have got the chassis almost ready for  the body to go back on. Here's something interesting. My Turbo had foam across the front crossmember and pedal box mount, as does this factory picture. What is the purpose of this? I have thought about it and believe it must be to stop the body being damaged by rubbing on the chassis welds and stop damage? I would be interested if anyone has another theory? My plan at the moment is to used 10 mm closed cell foam which can't absorb water to replace the original, unless of course anyone has a better plan?

To fix the filter gauze apparently the melting point of araldite is 65 degrees. Glad I used heat resistant JB weld. Apparently it can withstand 260 degrees! The engine will be melted long before the expoxy fails!

I fitted closed cell foam to the top/front of the chassis of the S1. And also in the body shell tunnel. Harder to compress, but 10mm should be fine.

Better than the original material.

• Like 1

I assumed it was there to stop any flex in the body from causing an irritating squeak whenever you go over a bump.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Wish that factory picture was clearer!

I suppose they had to fill that gap with something otherwise air would rush through the gap and make a noise. On the Europa they used felt which was the worst possible choice. I remember on mine the whole pull-out handbrake mechanism coming away in my hand, this was mounted to the top of the crossmember which had completely turned to rust under the felt.

• Like 1

Is JB weld the best best epoxy for the Gauze? Have a look on you tube, they have made a piston and cylinder head out of the stuff! 

Some interesting  foam theories. I assumed the body would squash the foam down in that area and stop rubbing?

Thanks Dave, it's a real work of art. Neil has outdone himself on this! I can only imagine what it will be like in the original Copper Fire! It's as exciting for me following this, as I am seeing these pictures at the same time as posting on here and I'm 200 miles away from the car! 

• Like 1

Interesting that you didn't attach the door striker bracing bracket in the body shell before painting.

I didn't either. So will not have to paint over the ridiculous bolt at the bottom of the door jam, and the 2 smaller ones at the top.

What was your reasoning?

I assume your S1 is like mine, and has the same braces also?

Yep,  I have the same body reinforcement braces. Most people leave them in and spray over the bolts. I hate this and would rather have the bolts stainless. Also the braces had to come out anyway for blasting and powder coat. I have removed everything that can come off. There is so much effort involved in spraying these cars to this standard it seems rediculous not to strip the body in its entirety. It will produce a much better finish at very little extra effort. It's the fine attention to details that really makes the car. The engine will not be finished in time to put on the chasis and drop the body on. This is a pain as will have to install the engine through the top without damaging Neil's paint. If I scratch it I may need therapy!

There's not many cars on this planet that look this good just in primer, what a fantastic design, come on Lotus build a new Electric Esprit with white and Tartan! 

• Like 1

Jeez that's a pain. I was in the same boat as I didn't have the space to store a completed chassis and a painted body shell.

I'm glad I removed the braces then. Although I was beginning to wish I had put them in before painting. Painting the is standard, but I know what you mean about leaving them stainless steel. Dilemma.

If not painted body colour these various bolt heads on the body would likely show through the (somewhat cavernous) panel gaps. But on the other hand painting bolts is not very elegant.

What's odd is that these braces don't really do much, considering their size and that whopping lower bolt.

They only support the strike plate, and early S1s didn't have them, and didn't really need them.

The later S1 to S2 change to the fuel pump location of behind the passenger side bulkhead (LHS) is another odd modification I still haven't fathomed the reason.  Not sure where the Turbo has it's fuel pump located.

Edited by Fridge