Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Komotec 460 or SSC TVS1900? - Page 8 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Komotec 460 or SSC TVS1900?

Komotec 460 or SSC TVS1900 Ugrade?  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 01/11/2017 at 08:43, Kristof Thys said:

@dixie v6 Sounds like a nice winter project... ;-)

Now sold subject to collection next weekend.  @Bibs, @LF1 please can you clean these 2 posts up? Sorry for the thread drift (will advertise properly if sale falls through for some reason!)

Tom, I'll drop you a line separately re the academy! 

Anyone on here got one running on a 380 Sport? I believe there is one in the UK.

cheers

Mark

I saw one for sale... I know Jokke had problems with the KT kit unsure if his challenges would be common with the SSC.

Id be very interested in knowing if this raises the dull rev limit of the standard 380 model! That would be pretty cool!

www.alias23.com

@alias23

Randy dropped me a line re my enquiry and said thay had done one 380 conversion for a UK based car. He also said after some initial development there is now an off the shelf ECU flash for the 380. So I posted on here to see if the owner was on the forum to get some feedback from him. I have since asked Randy for more information, the rpm limit being one of those questions. Just waiting for him to get back to me (I messaged him over the weekend).

TBH both kits look to be excellent and both have pro's and cons. Obviously the KT package gives you more HP and has an intercooler, but the downside is the car is off the road for two weeks and is around 4 to 5K more expensive. Whereas the TVS is a two day upgrade and is much cheaper, albeit with less power and the charger obstructs the excellent rear window visibility ?. Torque is pretty similar upto a point for both upgrades.

So considering I'm no James Hunt and need to learn to drive properly first, I have some thinking to do. Plus the car is only six months old and I'd like to get some miles on it just to shake out any possible issues (my old V6S needed a clutch after 200 miles) as bang goes the warranty when you pull the trigger.

Looking at Jokke's video with his latest track day (another thread) it certainly looks like his rpm limit has been increased as this can be clearly seen from the video, I saw some changes around 7000rpm. The KT 460 will be a magical upgrade in his hands based on looking at his exploits in his old car. I'm really looking forward to see what he can achieve with it.

cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

@Mark030358 thanks for the info really interested in learn how you get on... 

SSC for sure are becoming a first choice here in the UK it would appear. The options from Komotec are becoming less attractive unless you go full hog for the KT460 which I feel is the perfect end to end solution (intercooler, manifolds, etc) but at £4-5k extra it’s just unpalatable for me personally and I’m sure many others...

My hope is the increased competition from SSC will put pressure on Komotec and we see much keener and competitive pricing. As I don’t see anyone going for the once popular KT430 kit when the SSC is available.

www.alias23.com

But are we comparing apples to pears?  Is the SSC kit not basically a bigger capacity supercharger only whereas the KT offering is a fully engineered solution with headers, ecu mapping, intercooler etc?

Sorry if I have misunderstood.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

8 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Not really no

430 is not cooled

SSC kit comes with ECU map and air intake

OK, Thanks for clearing up. My bad.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

10 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Not really no

430 is not cooled

SSC kit comes with ECU map and air intake

I think my point was the KT430 kit is now IMO irrelevant as the SSC kit is the no brained option in this comparison.

However the KT460 is the most end to end solution but has an extremely high cost which is hard to justify against the SSC.

www.alias23.com

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 07:31, Mark030358 said:

TBH both kits look to be excellent and both have pro's and cons. Obviously the KT package gives you more HP and has an intercooler, but the downside is the car is off the road for two weeks and is around 4 to 5K more expensive. Whereas the TVS is a two day upgrade and is much cheaper, albeit with less power and the charger obstructs the excellent rear window visibility ?. Torque is pretty similar upto a point for both upgrades.

True enough statements but is there an update on whether anyone has rolling roaded their TVS1900 equipped car yet? Or have SSC / Hoffmans's shared a power/torque curve? Apologies if I've missed this. *Edit: Iv'e gone back and seen Gary's figures from TDI (impressive torque!)  Any more?

@Arun_D

I had another reply from Randy today, I didn't necessarily ask for absolute Torque/HP figures, I wanted to see the curves more than anything else. However, he quoted what I think must Gary's figures.Another plus is no cutting, apart from engine covers, no drive-ability issues, but the down side is the horrible 6900 rpm rev limit, unlike the KT platform. Anyway, I promised I would call him when I return to the UK.

SSC's website is pretty informative of the whole package and the expected performance gains, but does not cover the specifically the 380 car. From reading Jokke's posts on another thread KT did a massive re-write of the ECU code resulting in an increased RPM limit not sure why SSC didn't do this, but hopefully |I'll find out.

Anyway, I promised I would call Randy when I return to the UK, which I will.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

On 11/5/2017 at 23:19, Seriouslylotus said:
1 hour ago, 250Cup said:

the only one done is for sale, which is odd.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/2017-lotus-exige-sport-380/7800691

£13k option/upgrade !

Nope, not odd at all @250Cup. I met the owner of that car on the Isle of Man over the summer. A cracking car. Stunning in the flesh.  Only reason he is selling is that as soon as the GT430 was announced he got on the phone to Lotus to place, I believe, the first firm order for one from the UK. Whether first or not, trading up to the GT430 even from the upgraded 380Cup is an understandable reason to sell.

The small print.

@250Cup

Not sure where they got the 13K from for a Hoffman’s TVS Upgrade, unless they did something major, as I’m lead to believe by a poster on the “other”forum somewhere in the region of£6.5k fitted. Even with a full exhaust that’s pushing it. Be interesting to know though...

cheers

Mark

27 minutes ago, 250Cup said:

fit the cup wheels, the Silverstone made gear shifter unit, and the bigger SC all in for £55k ! and the light speced car, really like the CR spec.

The what?

22 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

@250Cup

Not sure where they got the 13K from for a Hoffman’s TVS Upgrade, unless they did something major, as I’m lead to believe by a poster on the “other”forum somewhere in the region of£6.5k fitted. Even with a full exhaust that’s pushing it. Be interesting to know though...

cheers

Mark

Maybe 6.5k for Tvs1900 upgrade, plus full 2bular system 3.6k, gearbox cooler 1k - maybe a bit of dosh for shipping, transport or fitting not too far off 13k, but not quite there.

That car was previously for sale at Murray with Ohlins fitted. I wonder if they are including that, even though the Ohlins have been taken off prior to the car being sold. 

Now that Lotus has fitted a charge cooled Edelbrock supercharger on its Exige, my guess is that KT and SSC should move on to different propositions especially KT should re-arrange it's offering... I'm expecting to see if SSC eventually comes up with the charge cooled TVS 1900, which IMO would be the perfect upgrade for me on my 380 Cup before buying the new 430 Cup.....