Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 4 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Exige Sport 380

TLF News

While it's nice to see Lotus producing a new performance variant I think the rather garish look spoils what could of been quite a menacing weapon. However it's getting positive news out again and following the good US reception of the 400 and the overall thumbs up for 410 its nice to see them making the best of what they've got.

As it is i'll play the waiting game with my Motorsport assembled Cup car while adding the lithium battery, forged wheels with Cup2s and dropping 5kg of me ...... though a 410 is now looking a little more tempting.

Black n gold

So it was the launch photos then, that looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

:wub:

Even the rear wing looks better! They seriously need to sort out their launch photos. A reminder to always reserve final judgement until seeing a car in the flesh.

@The Pits: yep, gorgeous :blush: ... But I finally get your point, Jonny !  A real hardcore Exige is missing for trackdays lovers ... But maybe they think the 3-11 is the correct answer, then ?

Anyway,  I can confirm that a Roadster, roof down,  in the Alps is the perfect player :P !

exige alps.jpg

• Like 2

Bought my 360cup 5 months ago (silver with red bits)
Am I unhappy about this 380 being launched----NO
Will I be swopping my 360 for a 380-----NO
If I hadn't got the 360 would I buy a 380---Hell yeah
I love it..............To me all the styling tat should have been on the 360 cup, I hope they make the parts available for the aftermarket!!!!

• Like 1

This is your ultimate Exige for the time being folks.

Here's why I don't think there will be a Cup car.

1. They shut Motorsport.

2. They didn't sell many Cup cars when they were available.

3. The Sport 380 was launched with Cup (360) style red accents. This suggests to me that it was going to be a Cup 380 at one point but they switched it to 'Sport'.

4. There's not much more weight loss to be had. A Cup version would likely weigh the same once the fire extinguisher has been put in.

5. You can already get a more extreme 'Motorsport' trackday car - the 311.

6. Dealers had punters walking in wanting to buy the ultimate Exige, pointing at the V6 Cup and asking for a stereo, leather interior, fit an alarm, get rid of the fire extinguisher and harnesses, 3 year warranty and so on. At first Lotus said no. Then they made the 360 Cup which allowed all of that stuff to be optioned in. I think by then the punters had bought Cayman GT4s! The Cup 360 remains a very rare sight. Based on that experience a Sport 380 can be loaded with stuff that a Cup car shouldn't have. It's a clear flagship Exige. No doubt they think that keeping the Sport badge will make that clearer. I can imagine the frustration at Lotus reading everyone here saying it should be a Cup, you know, the one that no-one wanted when it was for sale!

It's nice to see some love for the Cup cars on here but also sad to see the 'Sport' badge being considered the lesser of the two. It used to stand for 'Lotus Sport' - the original name for Lotus Motorsport! Really the mistake was 'normalising' the Sport badge with the 350. If the 380 had been the first one to wear the Sport badge for a while it would have had much more impact.

Time to put the whole Cup thing behind us. I'd hate to see a watered down Cup, putting a stereo in the Cup 360 was bad enough and I'm not comfortable with them using the badge without a Motorsport Department. The one thing a Cup badge stood for was authenticity. It meant genuine race engineers had been involved in the development and build of the car. Heaven forbid that it should stand for anything else!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Jonny's got good points there.

I can't help but wonder if the mess would have been cleared up by not using the word "Sport" so liberally.

Having an "Exige 350" as your entry level model, with all the luxuries etc... in as standard, then the "Sport 380" as the higher performing, more hardcore version, would probably make some distinctions between the two. Have the 350 as a roadster by default, the 380 a coupe, something like that (although we all know you can change them)

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Jonny: you are spot on - the 380 Sport is the Cup replacement ... I am pretty sure we wont see a Cup in the next 2 years ...

JMG is all business and financially speaking the Cup probably never made sense ... the 380 will, as it has "a broader apeal" ... not what I want so ...

very interesting debate, with educated people :) ... I do think we've found the definitive consensus  ! 

PS: Jonny, sorry to bring Porsche stuff in the discussion :blush:, but it was the same for the RS 2.7 an 964 ... they were not best-sellers at their time, but are now icons ! the same for the 427 cobras, it took more than two years to sell the last ones ... so you're probably right thinking the last Cups would be sought after ... a bit like the Exige S1 which is now very collectible !

Edited by French Frie
spelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pete said:

as an interested observer think car looks great and what else can you buy under 70,000 that can do 0-60 in 3.5 secs and reach 170  mph

Nissan GTR?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

at last, the lightweight forged wheels can be had in silver :wub:

the 380 can be a hard core "Cup" style car, can't it? Just don't spec the A/C, the radio, carpets and spec the Track Pack?

Yes, absolutely SFO. Don't forget the adjustable Nitrons that were developed for the Cup cars also. I wonder if the Ohlins are still an option?

@Arun_D

canyonS380_zpsgiklvv2l.jpg

Any other colour requests?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, French Frie said:

very interesting debate, with educated people :) ... I do think we've found the definitive consensus  ! 

PS: Jonny, sorry to bring Porsche stuff in the discussion :blush:, but it was the same for the RS 2.7 an 964 ... they were not best-sellers at their time, but are now icons ! the same for the 427 cobras, it took more than two years to sell the last ones ... so you're probably right thinking the last Cups would be sought after ... a bit like the Exige S1 which is now very collectible !

The Thing is that RS 2.7 / 964 RS were available as "Cup Cup" Edition as well as "comfort" / "Touring"-Edition with sev comfort extras to order. Even in the seventies most People bought the rs w i t h comfort extras.

I think Lotus should concentrate on models that could be understand by the People, not every 3 months a new Edition / Sport xy, 25 hp more or so.

Therefore

one base exige s / Roadster / coupe / packs etc. - when fitted with all packs: luxury and speed

one exige s "clubsport" all comfort things out, reasonable Price, mild more power than base, packs to improve racetrack abilities - when fitted with all packs: Weekend track toy

A very quick go at Nightfall Blue which would probably look a bit darker in reality.

dblus380_zps1jisudkm.jpg

• Like 1