Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Lotus Suspension for S1 - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Lotus Suspension for S1

Bibs,

Can this thread be stickied or combined with the new one? There is a lot of background information in here, particularly from Gordon and Trevor, that would do well to explain what is going on to anyone visiting here for the first time because of the suspension.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was directed to this forum (from the S1S2S3 list) to learn more about these proposed suspension upgrades. I too am interested in being kept advised of progress and would consider buying a kit when one comes available! Great work!

Ian.

I came across an American website once, where they were selling an upgrade for the rear suspension setup. Basically, it looked like some kind of bracket and it provided the famous "missing link" which puts strain on the back end and usually results in excessive wear in the UJ's. I believe this was sorted with the S3 chassis, so it only effects S1 and S2. I sent several emails but never got a reply. Does anyone know whether this is still available or whether someone else has developed something similar? Now that's something I'd be interested in!

I've already fitted new springs and dampers, so won't be changing them for a while, but otherwise I'd be interested.

That conversion is offered by Lotus Prepared by Claudius in California. I have seen it on three cars (in photographs), and all three were jacked up way too high in the back -- it appears that his conversion affects the rear ride height that way. One of the cars was the gold S2 that was owned by "eprsplt" on this forum -- I believe he complained about the ride height.

I don't remember what the conversion costs, but I did look into it a long time ago, and it was just not worth it. I'd rather keep the weight savings . . . and the dollar savings . . . and change a wheel bearing or U-joint every few years.

- Tony

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Thanks Tony, that was useful, I certainly don't like the sound of it riding higher at the back! Oh well, I'll give that a miss then. Perhaps Lotus could look at this and do a proper job?

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Thanks Tony, that was useful, I certainly don't like the sound of it riding higher at the back! Oh well, I'll give that a miss then. Perhaps Lotus could look at this and do a proper job?

We have to bear in mind that the S1 is 30 years old now so the fact that Lotus are making the effort to do the springs and dampers is already far more than any other manufacturer would do for a handful of cars where they are not going to make a decent profit out of it.

The other problem would be that many purists would say that the S1 / S2 was designed with no upper link and by changing that you are changing the car and it wouldn

Guest Troy Halliday

I know the suspension for the early Esprit's is still very much on the table, the issue here is cost. Lotus as we know has been striving to move forward, so are trying to be ever mindful of products/projects that actualy cost them money. I know for a fact that they have made very little from the develpment of the suspension components from the other models. Basicaly the people signing the checks don't want to throw money down the drain. That may sound harsh but they are a business and one that has had money issues in the past. Having said that certain key people are eager to make the suspension and will not give up easily. :yes

I have been in contact with two of our U.S. vendors --

Ray at R.D. enterprises -- he took some time to look into it, and said he does not know if it would be economically viable for him to try to sell the suspension upgrades, and he is not in a position to make a long-term investment in them (i.e. buying a bunch to sell over a number of years).

Jeff at JAE -- said that he has sold the suspension kits for later Esprits, and likes them, and is definitely interested in carrying them for the S1/S2. I referenced this forum et al., and he said he has his own channels and contacts at the factory and will find out more about it through them.

Let's hope.

JAE is pretty popular and reaches a wide number of Lotus owners.

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE