Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 16 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Lex Templar here back from the dead. Would be great to get this thread up and running again.

0939 - Monaco white car - I drove back in 2010 in Melbourne when Paul Steinberg owned it. Interior was originally red. There is a period photo in this thread of it with reflectors on the front and rear/side. Original dry sump had gone, now has an HCI engine. I have quite a few photos of it. 

Lex

Edited by Lex Templar

On 09/03/2019 at 08:40, Lex Templar said:

Hi everyone,

Lex Templar here back from the dead. Would be great to get this thread up and running again.

0939 - Monaco white car - I drove back in 2010 in Melbourne when Paul Steinberg owned it. Interior was originally red. There is a period photo in this thread of it with reflectors on the front and rear/side. Original dry sump had gone, now has an HCI engine. I have quite a few photos of it. 

Lex

looking forward to the pictures!

On 03/01/2017 at 08:55, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Just had a reply from the owner of the car Andy found;

IMG_0207.JPGIMG_0208.JPG

The cars chassis is 10939 which sits right between the Essex cars, looks like the claim it was built to special order to look like the FYEO car by the owner is spot on. A very special Esprit indeed! (Looks like a retrim in Black as appears red/tobacco above, owner confirmed current colour)

IMG_0210.PNG

Dave :) 

original photos 0939

29 minutes ago, Lex Templar said:

Hi Trevor do we know the chassis number of your old White/tobacco Dry Sump. And am I right in saying Compomotive wheels but no roof top stereo?

Correct, 4 studs and no roof radio. I may have the chassis number somewhere but the owner is on on here and may be better for him to sort that. I’ll message him as I’m not sure how often he visits.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Can we put mine on the register

White/champagne leather roof stereo soon to have compomotives.

number 1279

I know it shouldn't exist but lotus have said 

"although the build book should be a wet sump it wouldn't be strange that it is a dry sump car as there are gray areas and anomaly cars out there. Always go with the engine in the vehicle"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dr_jayhart said:

Can we put mine on the register

White/champagne leather roof stereo soon to have compomotives.

number 1279

I know it shouldn't exist but lotus have said 

"although the build book should be a wet sump it wouldn't be strange that it is a dry sump car as there are gray areas and anomaly cars out there. Always go with the engine in the vehicle"

Have you got a picture of the car? Is it Malcolm’s old car? 

Did you find 5-star Comps or are you doing a conversion?

Cheers,

Lex

Don't know if its Malcolms old car picture attached. I have found 5 stud comps but will swap the barrels for some of a set of 4 stud i have just bought as the current barrels were for a BMW.

Jay

esprit

12 minutes ago, dr_jayhart said:

Don't know if its Malcolms old car picture attached. I have found 5 stud comps but will swap the barrels for some of a set of 4 stud i have just bought as the current barrels were for a BMW.

Jay

esprit 182.36 kB · 1 download

Looks gorgeous, just like the white 1/43 Autoart model with that interior.

Clever work with the wheels.

3 minutes ago, dr_jayhart said:

Just a thought is the offset etc the same for the bbs and the compomotive wheels?

No, the rears need different hubs, radius arms and upper and lower links. Fronts just different hubs, 4 bolt.

Just a thought is the offset etc the same for the bbs and the compomotive wheels?

Sorry to be clear. What I’m planning is to put 5stud centres into 4 stud barrels shouldn’t they just bolt on?  J

8 hours ago, dr_jayhart said:

Sorry to be clear. What I’m planning is to put 5stud centres into 4 stud barrels shouldn’t they just bolt on?  J

Depends if the centres have the same offset as the 4-stud. If they do, the rears will sit around 20mm further out from the car unless the suspension is also modified to bring them back in.

There is a copper bronze car, not sure who currently owns it which as far as I know has the comps fitted with the BBS suspension and looks OK but this might be worth checking. I remember having a very close look at it at Brands Hatch a couple of years ago and could not see any issue with it. Then again, it could have had different offset barrels or centres to make it right. 

Yes it has been proved that you can fit just the four stud hubs with comps on the standard BBS suspension,  Mike at lotusbits does alloy 4 stud hubs front and rear, lovely bit of kit,  Finding steel ones is hens teeth, but the alloy ones are so much ligher it is unreal,  the saving on the unsprung weight is fantastic.  They also do new dry sump trailing arms and links 

Comp barrel centres will need to be measured as if they are four stud and not originally of an esprit i am pretty sure compomotive used to machine of the back of the wheel barrel  casting a few mm to suit slighty different offsets on certain models.  

A

• 2 weeks later...

I’m off to the nec tomorrow anyone been? Bumped into a chap who works on aircraft engines and we were talking about the whole oil pump belt shortage and he suggested fitting an electric oil pump. Anyone thought of this? J

On 23/03/2019 at 18:43, dr_jayhart said:

I’m off to the nec tomorrow anyone been? Bumped into a chap who works on aircraft engines and we were talking about the whole oil pump belt shortage and he suggested fitting an electric oil pump. Anyone thought of this? J

It might be easier to fit a longer, standard belt and design some kind of tensioner.

Thanks for that. A tensioner has been mentioned on a few threads but I have never seen completion of any of them. Neither can I find a decent picture or diagram of a dry sump to try to figure it out. Do you know of any?  J

1 hour ago, dr_jayhart said:

Thanks for that. A tensioner has been mentioned on a few threads but I have never seen completion of any of them. Neither can I find a decent picture or diagram of a dry sump to try to figure it out. Do you know of any?  J

20171129_163805.thumb.jpg.e02892b15634866092c654bf12975cfd.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-07-14-46-22-1.png.dca48b370ee4813752db604f8334a40d.pngIts a simple eccentric (original Lotus)timing belt bearing mounted to the A/C bracket.For the waterpump belt we made a tensioner too .Its much easier when you have to change the belts.But with this solution there is no place for the A/C compressor,it can be dismantled again once you find the correct belt for the dry sump pump.

• Like 2

On 31/03/2017 at 07:34, Sweatow said:

Tocus

I was referring to the FYEO spec car dry dump many had the tobacco interior and not the wet sumps so the information is true, however I do stand corrected on the build qty of the Essex Cars thought over 70 were built with a plan of being 100. see below a section from Lotus archive

For the 1980 model year there was 16 other standard Turbo Esprit built before your car, 7 of

them were Monaco White, but only 1 of these had full red leather and was the same specification

as your car (most of the 1980 cars in white had brown leather).

I hope you find this information of interest and you enjoy your Esprit ownership.

Regards,

Andy Graham

Lotus Archives

According to my letter from Andy there were 14 non-commemorative cars in 1980

There were 5 Monaco white cars in 1980. 3 with tobacco interior, 2 with red interior - all had Essex features.

1981 - there were 2 white/tobacco cars - one had roof mounted stereo.

Chassis #0939 started out with a red interior so this would make the other white/red car of 1980.

Lex