Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gear change IPS v 400 Auto - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gear change IPS v 400 Auto

Seen a few comments and got me wondering.

AFAIK the hardware is the same in both cars. My 400 was reflashed with latest software when it was in last week for the seats to be fixed.

Can the 400 software not just be loaded on to the S1 cars?

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

I have been advised (by :Lotus)  that my IPS has had the software flashed to the latest 400 version.  In comparison with other IPS cars I have driven the manual change is much faster between pulling the paddle and the change taking place.  Not quite as quick a PDK buy very very close.

What I do find odd though, is that if it was as simple as a software update, why haven't Lotus applied it to the Exige Sport 350 Auto which by all accounts still falls some way short of the Evora 400 shift time?

I asked the boys at LMS if it was possible to install the 400 TCU software onto my IPS.  The answer was a short and simple no.  Even though the two gearboxes are identical the wiring harnesses are completely different, therefore so is the software.  

I've just had the software on my IPS updated, the latest build is L132F0077 according to the paperwork (which is different to the one on the Evora 400 according to the Lotus website)

Its a worthwhile update imho - it introduces less pronounced blips on the downshift when you're not driving too aggressively, and allows the car to hold a higher gear at slightly lower speeds when in Sports mode.

One thing I don't understand is Lotus stating that it takes 1.4 seconds to change gear from the moment the paddle is pressed in manual mode. I realise this is subjective, but the only time it takes that long is when you're pootling about. When you accelerating hard it seems to take much less time than that- not instantaneous obviously but it's very quick (but then again it always was).

Almost certainly I think. Gearbox seems much nicer now than with the previous software.

As to the 1.4.seconds shift time , if I were the cynical type, it seems to me as though the pootling about shift time is being compared to the sports mode shift time,  to make it seem as though there's been a big improvement with the 400..

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 S Sr, so one of the last of the old model, and it's a LHD Euro spec car. I've never had any concerns about the shift speed in 'Sport' Mode. As above, the change, up  and down, gets quicker the more you are 'on it'.  Cruising about slowly, it takes its time. But I've no complaints at all when I driving in a 'spirited' fashion.  The 400 might be quicker, but I don't think I'd drive one and then think mine is a lot slower. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2017 at 20:17, blueg33 said:

I wonder if this is what mine has had.  Manual change is very fast, though, nothing like 1.4 seconds.

Would be good if the SW change had same impact on an Exige V6, as stated above , it would make an epic track car. 

On 26/01/2017 at 20:28, Jovver said:

Almost certainly I think. Gearbox seems much nicer now than with the previous software.

As to the 1.4.seconds shift time , if I were the cynical type, it seems to me as though the pootling about shift time is being compared to the sports mode shift time,  to make it seem as though there's been a big improvement with the 400..

There's a big difference in speed of change in the 400. It feels near instant.  I tried standard IPS in both the Evora S1 and Exige V6 , in sport mode and it's much slower.   I desperately wanted the Auto version in both, but I wouldn't trust it on track to change down in time when approaching corners.  

Excellent news if software updates have improved things though.  Exige 350 Auto please :)

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

The auto is the only way I wold go to the 400 so when the time comes it will be interesting to feel the speed of the changes. I am hoping it is pretty instant. 

'I desperately wanted the Auto version in both, but I wouldn't trust it on track to change down in time when approaching corners.'...

^^^.   However you look at it, the Auto / IPS will change gear much faster than you could with a clutch and a stick.  Also,  our brains ( what we have of them ) will quickly factor in the time needed to change gear, be it stick shift or paddle, the difference between a shift that takes 0.2 sec or a shift that takes 0.6 sec really isn't that much of an issue, least of all when riving on the road in a' spirited' fashion.   Regarding the S1 Evora's, the software version the car is running makes a big difference to the auto gearbox characteristics. 

• Like 1